XenialPup64 With XFCE-4.12

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
p310don

#31 Post by p310don »

New problem.

I think this is my last niggle (hopefully).

In Carolina I had the cups-pdf printer print directly to a file in a directory. In this, it brings up a dialog box to choose a location. Doesn't matter if I print from the local PC, or one of the attached windows machines, the dialog comes up.

All the info I can find says to edit the cups-pdf.conf file in /etc/cups/ except that file doesn't seem to exist here, so I'm stuck again.

p310don

#32 Post by p310don »

Also - how do I get WINE working in this?

battleshooter

#33 Post by battleshooter »

Sorry I've been quiet lately. I've been really trying to get my head around using Git and Woof-CE to maintain this project.

@Terry I think I may be experiencing this no sound in Firefox issue as well. I think it's a conflict between sound cards and Firefox or apulse is picking the wrong one. I recently installed firmware for the hdmi ports on my new graphics card (I upgraded my ancient AMD RV770 graphics card Belham :lol:) and now Firefox has difficulty getting the correct sound card. I had to manually pick it with ALSA Wizard, but it lost the configuration after one Youtube video so I need to look more into it.
rg66 wrote:battleshooter and anyone else using Xfce (with gvfs), while playing around with slacko-6.9.9.9 I've discovered that /usr/lib/gio/modules/giomodule.cache should have a gvfs entry. According to the slackware install script, the commands

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/gio-querymodules /usr/lib/gio/modules
and

/usr/bin/glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
should be run after installing gvfs. I would think that /usr/lib/gio/modules/giomodule.cache and /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/gschemas.compiled should be added to the build after running hose commands. My partitions seem to mount faster afterwards but I could be hallucinating. :wink:
I had a play around with that Rg, running the commands for some reason caused me to get the duplicate Thunar drives issue, but at this point in time, I've done a lot of weird stuff to my pup save trying to get the XFCE pet scripts working.

@p310don those pts sys icons have been plaguing me from the inception of this project. I hid them as Geoff showed because I don't have a fix to make them hidden. On the other hand in recent XFCE builds I now have even more incorrectly displayed system mount point icons ugh :evil: So either I'm getting closer to working out where they're being called from or I really am drowning in my own bugs :cry:

I'll have to look into the CUPS-PDF issue and Wine hmm, Fatdog makes it look really difficult to setup, but I'll give my attempts at Git study a break and looks at something "easier" like 64bit Wine :lol:

Finally, this has a handy update of the latest firmware if anyone has devices not working or dmesg firmware errors. Cleaned up all of mine at least.

https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-upda ... e/download
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

mikeslr

To get Wine working

#34 Post by mikeslr »

Hi p310don,

You get Wine working the same way as under XenialPup64.

0. If using a SaveFile, you'll need 180Mb +/- MINIMUM of Free Space + Additional space 3 times the size of any apps you intend to install. But see below.

1. Download the 32bit_compatibility_libs_xenial64.sfs from the Xenialpup64 repo. (Note the name may be slightly different, as I may have changed the name on my storage to distinguish it from the 32bit_capatibility_libs.sfs for Tahrpup64.)
2. Load the 32bit_capatibility_libs.sfs.
3. Either look for the code to edit /etc on the Xenialpup64 thread as I can never remember formulas or install the attached pet which performs the edit for you.
4. Open a terminal and type "ldconfig" -- best to use cut & paste rather than guess whether the first letter is a small "EL", a numeral "one" or a capital "Eye". I think the first. There should be a noticeable delay between the time you press Enter on the terminal and the terminal signifies its completed the command by returning the prompt. If the terminal becomes available instantly, something went wrong. Re-enter the correct command.

5. Restart-X (AKA Graphical Server). May require a (Save &) reboot. Before installing Wine, recommend you try to open some other small 32-bit application, either an SFS or a External (i.e., something you don't have to install). My test application is opera 12.16, unpacked to a folder on /mnt/home and run from there. If it doesn't open, something's gone wrong and there's no sense in installing Wine. But see below.

6. Install one of Version2013's Wine pets (but see below). http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 128#725128

7. Open a terminal and type "wine winecfg" to set up the Wine environment. But see below.

Thereafter you should be able to run "exe's" --including setup.exe's-- merely be clicking them.

As an alternative to installing Wine, you could try portable-wine from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 452#971452. Less than 1Mb of additional space within a SaveFile --beyond that required by the 32bit compatibility layer-- will be needed; none for applications. Registering portable-wine and configuring it replaces the test to see if the compatibility layer is working. As explained on that post, all wine commands are in the form "wine.sh COMMAND' rather than just 'wine COMMAND'. If anything has gone wrong, removing portable-wine is as simple as Menu>Setup>Puppy Package Manager>Uninstall>wine-portable-1.0.

Under Xfce Puppies, portable-wine will appear as a folder named wine-portable. Left-Click the folder to enter it. Under other Xfce Puppies, I was able to Left-Click the bash-script named "Register" to "install" the link to this External Application. This didn't work under XenialPup64 with XFCE-4.12. What did work was to open Register in Geany, then copy its entire contents into a terminal and press enter.

Thereafter, Wine Config will appear on the Utility Menu. Clicking it will configure Portable-Wine. There'll be a listing, Wine Windows Program Loader, on the System Menu providing access to all installed 'Windows' programs.

mikesLr
Attachments
xen64enable32bit.pet
Writes necessary changes to /etc.
(373 Bytes) Downloaded 249 times
Last edited by mikeslr on Fri 10 Nov 2017, 18:26, edited 2 times in total.

Marv

#35 Post by Marv »

battleshooter wrote:@p310don those pts sys icons have been plaguing me from the inception of this project. I hid them as Geoff showed because I don't have a fix to make them hidden. On the other hand in recent XFCE builds I now have even more incorrectly displayed system mount point icons ugh :evil: So either I'm getting closer to working out where they're being called from or I really am drowning in my own bugs :cry:
Hi battleshooter, I'm back from the land of no-wireless but with a spouse with a broken leg :cry: :cry: I have the latest running fine on my i5 laptop with no issues, other than an acute time shortage on my part. Two scatterbrained thoughts:
One, Thunar (and PCManFM) both pick up the extra 'drives' to display from /etc/fstab. I first just deleted the contents of that file once running. No more false drives and days and days of troublefree running. If any of the mount points are used once pup is running, I can't see where. However, fstab is used in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. There is a mount -a there, so a blank fstab file gives a nag at the switch to a layered filesystem though amazingly the pup runs fine. What I do now -bad kludge alert- is replace fstab with a blank file using a script in /root/Startup or a line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local and swap back the original fstab in rc.shutdown. Somewhere a more elegant solution awaits.

T'other, I lean toward lean pups so having all the big stuff in the adrive leaves the possibility of a Carolina-lite like main SFS. Firefox??

Cheers,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Dry Falls

#36 Post by Dry Falls »

Battleshooter, I had the same mtpoint problem with three separate builds of JL64 with pcman and xfce-4-12.1 from slackware (no drives or partitions (icons for proc, sys, devsave,pts). Each time it was a bad installation of gvfs-1.34. Reinstalled gvfs and it fixed the problem. I didn't have a problem with the earlier (1.26) gvfs.

df

battleshooter

#37 Post by battleshooter »

That is epic Mike! Thank you for doing the heavy lifting for me :D

I'll have to give that a go and see if I can make it into a neat pet. I didn't know version2013 aka greendome was still making wine pets and that they work on Xenial64...sweeeet!

Welcome back Marv, sorry to hear about your better half's leg :?

Oh my, that is such a dirty hack haha. I discovered that too, that removing the entries from fstab did remove the icons, but as you found the difficulty was when one rebooted. I didn't think of your hack, I'm very impressed with the ingenuity :lol:

I don't mind splitting up the heavy files into the adrv at all, it is more Carolina like. Something else to look into.

@Dry Falls Thank you very much for the advice DF, glad even just for the confirmation that someone else has had this issue. I tried using an old 1.26 ubuntu deb of gvfs, but it doesn't seem to fix it for me. Though I may need to remove it completely as I just installed it over top.

It looks like the component that's causing my many unnecessary icons is glib? When I compile it with --with-pcre=system I get about double (not duplicates, but more individual system mount points) the amount of icons as when I don't use the --with-pcre=system flag.

Does this mean it is something more to do with Pup-Volume-Monitor?

How do you normally compile GVFS? I'd love to hear more from you as you're seemingly the only person that has encountered this issue and solved it.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

mikeslr

Just a note about getting Portable Wine working

#38 Post by mikeslr »

Hi battleshooter & all,

You know what they say about "assume". :lol:

Well, I tried the instructions I gave about setting up portable-wine based on my experience under other xfce-Puppies. Ran into a snag. :oops: Developed a workaround. :) Have amended the instructions given at the bottom of this post. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 806#973806.

mikesLr

belham2

#39 Post by belham2 »

Hi Battleshooter and all,

Am not trying to sound intemperate without any ability to wait (haha), but how's things going on the next iteration of XFCE Xenialpup 64 based on Phil's latest release?

Any projected release date? A week? Two? A month? Two (somebody stop me here... 8) )

mikeslr

#40 Post by mikeslr »

Hi belham2,

Stop :!: :!: Take a deep breath. Return to my suggestion to contemplate the significance of time. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 381#973381 :P :lol:

mikesLr

Dry Falls

#41 Post by Dry Falls »

battleshooter wrote:It looks like the component that's causing my many unnecessary icons is glib? When I compile it with --with-pcre=system I get about double (not duplicates, but more individual system mount points) the amount of icons as when I don't use the --with-pcre=system flag.

Does this mean it is something more to do with Pup-Volume-Monitor?

How do you normally compile GVFS? I'd love to hear more from you as you're seemingly the only person that has encountered this issue and solved it.
Hi battleshooter. Can't help you with the compiling gvfs. I use the system (base) packages from the slackware repo -- shouldn't there be ready-made ones for ubuntu? By analogy, I didn't have to change any puppy-specific files when I updated from glibc 1.23 to 1..26/gcc from 530 to 720. Had to add a few new dependencies like pcre2 and fontconfig2. The big one I forgot to mention before was udisk2 which I also had to reinstall.

df

p310don

#42 Post by p310don »

I've made a lot of changes, overcome or worked around a number of challenges to get this Pup working (almost) how I want.

My progress report.

SFS-Get doesn't work OOTB - Installed RXVT from here to fix it:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... x86_64.pet

Downloaded and installed DEVX & Kernel Headers to compile Virtualbox -done

Chromium doesn't seem to work. As soon as I sign in to my google account, the computer no longer connects to the internet on reboot. Dunno why. Doesn't happen in Chrome. I got Chrome from here:
Printing took some getting going right. I installed the Samsung printer drivers from rcrsn51's Samsung printer thread. That didn't work. Then I downloaded the ULD driver from Samsung and ran the quick setup / install program. The printer only works when both are installed. Neither works on it's own.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=66614

http://www.samsung-driver.com/download- ... 16130.html

Installed cairo-dock from the PPM.

Set up scheduled back ups from my windows system. Had to figure out about Samba vs Kernel 4.13. Sorted that:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112045

Got rid of desktop icons by deleting fstab as mentioned by Marv above. Seems to working, so far.

Got WINE working thanks to mikeslr. Works ok, but actually seems slower than native 32bit wine.

I haven't gotten the CUPS-PDF printer to work like I want.

I haven't gotten the media keys to work how I want.

I think that is the progresses I've made. So far I'm pretty happy with this release, but there are some niggles.

rcrsn51

#43 Post by rcrsn51 »

p310don wrote:I installed the Samsung printer drivers from rcrsn51's Samsung printer thread. That didn't work.
Because it's a 32bit driver.

Marv

#44 Post by Marv »

r4 running well with peebees 4.14.0 kernel from here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 272#974272 It eliminates some of the cpu frequency reporting problems in 4.13 and is a LTS kernel. Not much testing done yet but boot is clean, cpu reporting ok, video speed good, and generally seems 'snappy'. Still using the fstab kludge for drive icons. If mount.cifs is used, as with the 4.13 kernel, a SMB protocol version which is supported by your samba server must be explicitly stated ie. vers=2.1 as an option in YASSM for example.
Maybe 14 is a good number :)

Edit: Kernel number :oops:
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Dry Falls

#45 Post by Dry Falls »

Downloaded iso 11/12. r4. booted right up. Clean first run experienced no problems with drive icons in thunar or xfce4 desktop. Very quick/snappy. Only problem was no rox-puppy pin in JWM so no backdrop or icons.

df

Marv

#46 Post by Marv »

No extra icons like these? I've tried a lot of settings and can't get the drives without the extras unless I fiddle fstab. I doublechecked the r4 md5sum and the md5sum of the r4 I have matches the one listed in the first post. Any guidance in setup? I'm using the default XFCE4 desktop.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(143.02 KiB) Downloaded 1591 times

Dry Falls

#47 Post by Dry Falls »

Ok, back in Xenial and I do get the extra icons clicking 'other devices'. Should be able to untick that and leave drives checked, but no go. However, it does show vfat partitions which slackware xfce4 doesn't! Since pts, proc, sys & floppy don't show up in the left panel of thunar, I'd say it's a different problem than what I experienced in JL64. Easy enough to ignore but I think these shouldn't be mount points. The problem might be in thunar volume manager. Meanwhile, instead of removing fstab, you can comment out proc, sys (which are taken care of by init before X) and floppy if you haven't got one. commenting /dev/pts might present a problem rebooting a saved session. Will think on this some more.

df

Pete22

what is the adminitration password

#48 Post by Pete22 »

I'm stuck. I tried woofwoof but it did not work. Does anyone know what the password is?
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-11-16_15-39-16.png
(63.87 KiB) Downloaded 1439 times
Screenshot_2017-11-16_15-39-16.png
(63.87 KiB) Downloaded 1464 times

mikeslr

Are you trying to install something from /spot/Downloads?

#49 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Pete22,

Are you trying to install something from /spot/Downloads? As far as I know, you can't.

What I think you can do is browse into /spot/Downloads, copy files from it into a folder not controlled by spot, and start them from that other folder.

But, I'm guessing. I've never used spot.

mikesLr

battleshooter

#50 Post by battleshooter »

Just an update on the Wine situation, followed Mike's instructions, worked perfectly, thanks for that mate. I found though the /etc/ld.so.conf default file is exactly the same as the one in your pet so steps are amended to:

1. Install 32bit_compatibility_libs_xenial64.sfs

2. Run

ldconfig
in a terminal

3. Install either Version2013 AKA greendome's wine64-2.0.3_v4.1.pet or Mike's Portable Wine