XenialPup64 With XFCE-4.12

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Marv

#46 Post by Marv »

No extra icons like these? I've tried a lot of settings and can't get the drives without the extras unless I fiddle fstab. I doublechecked the r4 md5sum and the md5sum of the r4 I have matches the one listed in the first post. Any guidance in setup? I'm using the default XFCE4 desktop.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(143.02 KiB) Downloaded 1591 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Dry Falls

#47 Post by Dry Falls »

Ok, back in Xenial and I do get the extra icons clicking 'other devices'. Should be able to untick that and leave drives checked, but no go. However, it does show vfat partitions which slackware xfce4 doesn't! Since pts, proc, sys & floppy don't show up in the left panel of thunar, I'd say it's a different problem than what I experienced in JL64. Easy enough to ignore but I think these shouldn't be mount points. The problem might be in thunar volume manager. Meanwhile, instead of removing fstab, you can comment out proc, sys (which are taken care of by init before X) and floppy if you haven't got one. commenting /dev/pts might present a problem rebooting a saved session. Will think on this some more.

df

Pete22

what is the adminitration password

#48 Post by Pete22 »

I'm stuck. I tried woofwoof but it did not work. Does anyone know what the password is?
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-11-16_15-39-16.png
(63.87 KiB) Downloaded 1439 times
Screenshot_2017-11-16_15-39-16.png
(63.87 KiB) Downloaded 1464 times

mikeslr

Are you trying to install something from /spot/Downloads?

#49 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Pete22,

Are you trying to install something from /spot/Downloads? As far as I know, you can't.

What I think you can do is browse into /spot/Downloads, copy files from it into a folder not controlled by spot, and start them from that other folder.

But, I'm guessing. I've never used spot.

mikesLr

battleshooter

#50 Post by battleshooter »

Just an update on the Wine situation, followed Mike's instructions, worked perfectly, thanks for that mate. I found though the /etc/ld.so.conf default file is exactly the same as the one in your pet so steps are amended to:

1. Install 32bit_compatibility_libs_xenial64.sfs

2. Run

Code: Select all

ldconfig
in a terminal

3. Install either Version2013 AKA greendome's wine64-2.0.3_v4.1.pet or Mike's Portable Wine
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

battleshooter

#51 Post by battleshooter »

Hey p310don, thank you for the detailed feedback of what works and doesn't work, especially for mentioning what you discovered along the way. I see the issue with sfsget, it doesn't call the default terminal, it calls rxvt specifically in /usr/sbin/sfsget. Either I'll put rxvt back in for simplicity, or I'll change the code to work with any defaultterminal (hopefully).

I'm not sure about what Carolina used to use for its pdf printing, it may have used a different plugin all together, I might ask rg66 or Geoff via pm if they don't see this post. Or it might have been something Jemimah implemented from Saluki since we used the separate printer/scanner cups sfs.

What's the situation with the media keys p310don? Does using the xfce keyboard board settings not register them?

I'm not sure about the spot issue as I've never used it before either. I certainly didn't fiddle with any user passwords so it should be the same as any default woof pup?

That does help, it's still more hints, so thank you for mentioning it Dry Falls, the Udisks mention confirms my suspicion so I'll definitely look more into that. Thank you for your continual thoughts on the matter, the extra mind is much appreciated as this has confounded me for a long while now!

Hey Marv, thanks for testing the new kernel. I was planning to move to the 4.14 for the very reason it's LTS but wasn't sure if it would be too annoying to change kernels each release :oops:. Maybe just one :lol:

The when question is a bit tricky Belham but I think I've figured it out. The main thing that was holding me back from making the next release based on the new XenialPup64 was the fact I'd have to essentially recall all the fixes we've done here, reinstall and hopefully not forget any of them. I was really hoping to get a grip on git and all the rest of Puppy's automated scripting tools so I could just run a script over the top of Phil's releases and we'd have another build just like that. But the learning curve is giving me difficulty so I've settled for a compromise where I just get the petbuild scripts working perfectly and leave learning git to be understood in a more gradual pace.

Just throwing it out there but no promises, say a month from now will be what I'm aiming for. It's not bad timing so I can base it on Phil's final version too.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

battleshooter

R5 Release

#52 Post by battleshooter »

xfcexenial-R5.iso (761mb)
md5sum:
abdc258a1ae797fc73b71df7e9509462

devx_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs
md5sum:
546a38c6005854e3ffe1edb605f63e63
kernel_sources-4.14.2-xenialpup64.sfs
md5sum:
0d8ac0163153d2bf82363cdc2bef3772

Well I haven't learnt git yet, so this was done the old fashion way with tons of copy pasting. In some ways, I'm really pleased with this release, at the same time, I'm disappointed I've gone over the 700mb mark.

I would definitely like to see if I can cut that back in the future, but for now, I'm happy with the progress. I suppose the compromise is for those that like it "light" now the adrv and ydrv can be removed leaving a more vanilla XenialPup64 with XFCE.

I like being able to plug in an android and having it identified immediately now that go-mtpfs is installed by default.

I went with Marv's fstab hack after fruitless attempts to pin down the cause of the multiple desktop icons. For such a dirty hack, it looks great 8)

As some of you may have noticed, the latest Firefox version has killed sound again but made a slight edit to Bigpup's suggestion here and all was well again.

Carolina had FBReader and Evnice and I was requested by a user to reinclude them for reading ebooks and as qpdf can't select text.

A tiny update, but Libreoffice has been updated. The biggest change there is that it is now on the ydrv instead of the adrv in the previous release.

I'd say the most difficult thing about this release was keeping track of all the little changes I was making. Also accidentally destroying symlinks, that needlessly stumped me for about a week :evil: I can't wait till I have this all automated using Woof.

[url=hhttp://vanguardlinux.tk/ss/02xfcexenial-r5.png]Image[/url]
R5 Change Log:
Rebased on Xenialpup64 CE 7.5
New kernel 4.14.2
Split "heavier" components to adrv
Libreoffice updated to LibreOffice_5.4.3 and moved to ydrv
Updated Firefox to 58
Skype version 8.11.0.4
Updated Smplayer 17.11.2
Added Qwinff
Added Evince
Removed qpdf
Added FBReader
Added Flash 27.0.0.187
Added go-mtpfs
Removed Dunst
Marv's fstab hack
New firmware

Billtoo

XenialPup64 With XFCE-4.12

#53 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to the hard drive of my Acer laptop:

# inxi -bw
System: Host: puppypc11044 Kernel: 4.14.2 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.12.4
Distro: xenialpup64 7.5
Machine: Device: laptop System: Acer product: Aspire V5-571P v: V2.17 serial: NXM49AA03531512EC36600
Mobo: Acer model: Aspire V5-571P v: V2.17 serial: NBM491100831501E946600
UEFI [Legacy]: Phoenix v: V2.17 date: 02/27/2013
Battery BAT0: charge: 19.8 Wh 100.0% condition: 19.8/25.0 Wh (79%)
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3-3227U (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 900/1901 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 driver: intel tty size: 104x20 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
Card-2: Broadcom BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n driver: bcma-pci-bridge
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (3.5% used)
Weather: Conditions: 43 F (6 C) - light showers rain Time: November 30, 12:58 PM EST
Info: Processes: 150 Uptime: 19 min Memory: 333.9/5764.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8
#

Added some applications with PPM.
Still getting used to it but no big problems so far.
Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(106.64 KiB) Downloaded 1266 times

belham2

Re: R5 Release

#54 Post by belham2 »

battleshooter wrote:xfcexenial-R5.iso (761mb)
md5sum:
abdc258a1ae797fc73b71df7e9509462

Hi Battleshooter,

Am posting right now from my frugal Carolina 1.3 R2. Why?

Well, I downloaded R5, md5 checked out, installed it frugal along with my other pups, entered in the menu.lst, she booted right up, and looked pretty as heck with the subdued reddish brown wallpaper.

Went thru the motions of setting things up, all seemed fine, and the only thing I did was completely set up Firefox how I liked it, especially all the "about:config" settings, then opened and closed it a few times, it worked great. Then I went and immediately shutdown so a Savefile could be created.

Savefile was created, seemed no problems, but when things booted back up, it was like something had nuked the system.

1) Bottom XFCE tray was gone, nothing I could do to get it back

2) wallpaper completely gone, only a drab grey background

3) icons splayed all over the screen that were not there during the first initial boot up.

4) tried right-clicking on desktop to get into "Applications,", was hopeful for a minute, chose "Control Panel", so as to get at the XFCE Panel Control, and boom, it shut me down. It just froze solid....the DE and everything.

5) did different things, but there was no way to get around this freeze. Even tried Alt+SysRq+REISUB, nothing. Not one thing would respond anymore, desktop, mouse and/or keyboard.

6) so I was forced to "hard shutdown" the computer, and after the 3rd time I gave up.

Maybe I got a bad download, but the md5 checked out. I'll try again tomorrow, hope that was the problem. But given how beautifully everything worked "UNTIL" a SaveFile (in the frugal folder) was created, and all he!!---excuse my language---broke loose, I think something is screwed up in either init or something-related.

Interestingly, I posted today to Phil about the Savefile displaying that erratic behavior again that I posted and detailed to him about back in the summer. Hope these 2 things are not interrelated :cry:

P.S. Billtoo, did you post that pic again without first creating a Savefile? :wink: I don't see the Savefile button anywhere on the top portion of your screenshot. Seriously, check and tell us what you see. I tried 3 times, got the same "nuked" response

Billtoo

Re: R5 Release

#55 Post by Billtoo »

belham2 wrote:
P.S. Billtoo, did you post that pic again without first creating a Savefile? :wink: I don't see the Savefile button anywhere on the top portion of your screenshot. Seriously, check and tell us what you see. I tried 3 times, got the same "nuked" response
Yes, I managed to get a savefile but there is a serious problem.

I got the same first screen as you did and I waited until the mouse moved and did cntrl-alt-backspace to get to the prompt then ran xorgwizard and specified my graphics etc, then entered startxfce4,

When I boot now I do the same but all the I installed is there.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(76.52 KiB) Downloaded 1195 times

battleshooter

#56 Post by battleshooter »

Grrrr. You're not seeing things Belham, I can't believe I didn't test with a savefile. :oops: So sorry. I imagine that's why Marv didn't have any issues either as he doesn't run a save file either, at least from what I gather from his sig. That or I've implemented the hack wrong.

I'll pull the upload and reupload an isolated without the fstab hack :(

Edit: Looks like the problem is running deeper than expected. For some reason, the save file keeps restoring the original /root/.xinitrc file. For the life of me I can't figure out where on earth it's pulling it from :x

I really should have stuck to my one month release date schedule :lol:

belham2

#57 Post by belham2 »

battleshooter wrote:Grrrr. You're not seeing things Belham, I can't believe I didn't test with a savefile. :oops: ....

Haha, Battleshooter! All is good, seriously. Just glad to know I wasn't borking something up and/or possibly going insane staring at these old TFT/VGA screens too long. I need me a nice, big, shiny new whaleload-width-sized monitor like billtoo and bigpup have! :wink:

Marv

#58 Post by Marv »

battleshooter wrote:Grrrr. You're not seeing things Belham, I can't believe I didn't test with a savefile. :oops: So sorry. I imagine that's why Marv didn't have any issues either as he doesn't run a save file either, at least from what I gather from his sig. That or I've implemented the hack wrong.

I'll pull the upload and reupload an isolated without the fstab hack :(

Edit: Looks like the problem is running deeper than expected. For some reason, the save file keeps restoring the original /root/.xinitrc file. For the life of me I can't figure out where on earth it's pulling it from :x

Just saw r5 now and did a first run. Something is odd with r5 indeed, at least wrt use of a save file. I got a nice clean pristine boot of r5, then created a fresh save file (I do always use savefiles) and got one reboot IIRC, then no panel etc. Ditto for updating an r4 savefile. You implement the hack a bit differently than I do , but both your rc.local, rc.shutdown and fstab.fake and .bak files and my rc.local, rc.shutdown, and just fstab.bak files (I use a mv instead of cp) work perfectly in r4. r5 borks with either of those sets or with a clean unaltered set of rc.shutdown and rc.local in the savefile. I'll unsquash, and revert the main SFS next. Could be the hack and something different in r5 interacting but dunno what. Seems unlikely. I was already running the 4.14.2 kernel in r4 and had lots and lots of reboots and saves there with no savefile problems, both with several trial versions of the hack and without it.

Edit: Unsquashed the main SFS, rc.local and rc.shutdown returned to stock. Resquashed and did a pristine Grub4Dos boot, setting timezone, UTC, and making SNS net connection. Created savefile, 256Mb EXT2 non-encrypted. Rebooted. Same exact behavior. Flash of icons, then no wallpaper or panel. Clicking and poking about blindly sometimes will get it up with wallpaper and panel (and the extra 'drive' icons to be expected) but either an X-restart or reboot gets the same failure again. Just now I also resquashed with my modded files from r4. Exact same result.

Also, if I pull that 'older' .xinitrc file from a savefile (not mounted, any one of MANY), all subsequent boots, X-restarts, reboots, logouts and xwins, etc., hack or no hack, freshly made or r4 update, are just fine. Almost seems like it is getting put in at save file creation or first boot thereafter but not on subsequent work once removed but how :?: :?: Like any boot related glitch, chasing is slow.

Edit: Looking in the main SFS. r4 has no .xinitrc file in /root/firstrun. r5 has an .xinitrc file there and it is not the same as that in /root. A clue?
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Marv

#59 Post by Marv »

Pulled the /root/firstrun/.xinitrc in the main SFS. No other changes, your implementation of 'the hack', resquashed. Pristine GrubforDos boot as usual, set up timezone, wifi connection with SNS. Rebooted, creating 256Mb EXT2 non-encrypted savefile as usual. Reboot was normal (no extra icons). Did multiple X-restarts, reboots, suspends. No flakey boots seen. Posting this as a new post, not another edit so with luck battleshooter will see it sooner. Quick look, seems to me like this is the source of the 'unwanted .xinitrc'.

battleshooter

#60 Post by battleshooter »

Pulled the /root/firstrun/.xinitrc in the main SFS
Holy s*** Marv you are a beautiful genius! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I can't believe all the issues were caused by that one file! :shock:
Like any boot related glitch, chasing is slow.
Tell me about it! I spent all of yesterday rebuilding, the pup drv several times, with countless reboots and reextractions and was prepared to go through it all over again today....man you saved me, I was completely on the wrong track. :oops:

Thank you so much Marv :!: :!: :!:

battleshooter

#61 Post by battleshooter »

Alrighty then, let's try this again:

xfcexenial-R5[fixed].iso 761.5 MB
md5sum:71d1400477a013b44ab3a6e3e28b90dc

Thanks again Marv 8)

Marv

#62 Post by Marv »

Quick check, seems fine. md5sum correct, pristine frugal install (lite mode, no adrive, no ydrive). Exactly as above, timezone & UTC set up, SNS setup of wireless connections. Then, reboot setting up the savefile exactly as above. Reboot totally normal. Then a couple of X-restarts and a suspend or two... Also normal. Then loaded the Slimjet SFS, used pmount to set the data drive to mount on boot and symlinked in the Slimjet profile and the claws mail profile. Checked both, then another reboot. Normal boot, no extra icons, all my additions preserved. Posting from it now.

To all a good night :D

666philb

#63 Post by 666philb »

hi battleshooter,

sorry for the xenialpup build causing you problems.
the problem .xinitrc is copied from /root/firstrun on first boot. my plan was/is to attempt to get users to a working desktop if they install xfce from the PPM.
and so the .xinitrc kills rox pinboard if xfce is launched.

another thing that happens (which might cause you problems) is that when xfce is installed from the ppm, /usr/local/petget/hacks-postinstall.sh copies some basic xfce settings from /usr/local/quickpet/checks so that you get a working menu etc. it also removes the 'running as root' warning from thunar and installs a window manger switcher.

you may want to remove the xfce section from hacks-postinstall.sh in your pup in case it causes you problems.

the above is all a bit rough and ready... but going forward i'ld like to use the same system on other window managers so that users get a usable desktop & menu if they install say kde or openbox from the PPM.

i don't use xfce myself so if you're up for having a look and improving the default settings that get used that be very much appreciated.

sorry for causing you a headache!!!
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

battleshooter

#64 Post by battleshooter »

Oh no way do you need to apologize Phil, you've made an amazing Puplet I've enjoyed building off.

It sounds like you're taking a different approach to the same problem. I was planning to use petbuild, but if the Ubuntu debs work as well that could be better than reinventing the wheel.

export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1

line in /etc/profile and in /etc/xorg.conf-auto-pc

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "1"
EndSection
needs to be added so transparency works correctly. Otherwise some cases of transparency show up as black boxes. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head that you haven't mentioned.

Thanks again for making such a great pup Phil!

@Marv, did you see the great news?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 905#975905

pemasu worked out the great fstab mystery so we won't have to use our lovely fstab hack anymore :D

Here's a quick pet I put together for anyone that wants to test it. Obviously the fake fstab lines in rc.local and rc.shutdown will need to be removed.

glib-2.54.0-x86_64_xen75.pet
glib_DEV-2.54.0-x86_64_xen75.pet

Marv

#65 Post by Marv »

Hi battleshooter. I just saw. Done right! Off with er hack :lol: I'll roll the pet in and have a go.
Cheers,
Edit: Hack out, pet in. Seems fine. Several reboots, X-restarts etc. Great.