Slacko Icons

Booting, installing, newbie
mhhack

Slacko Icons

#1 Post by mhhack »

Hi,

I'm new to Slacko, and would like to know how to add an Icon to the desktop. I've installed Thunderbird as an email client, and it appears on the menu, but how can I get an icon on the desktop.

Thanks

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

Go to /usr/shared/applications in Rox Filer.

Then just drag and drop the icon on to the desktop.

mhhack

#3 Post by mhhack »

Thanks. I got that far myself. When I use rhe ROX filer I don't see the usr/shared/application folder, but I see there are 41 hidden folders.
Thanks

dancytron

#4 Post by dancytron »

mhhack wrote:Thanks. I got that far myself. When I use rhe ROX filer I don't see the usr/shared/application folder, but I see there are 41 hidden folders.
Thanks
Go up one level from where it starts(/root). Then you'll see /usr.

mhhack

#5 Post by mhhack »

Thanks a lot. I'm basically a Windows user, and have Slacko on an old Acer Notebook, where it runs well.

Bit by bit I'm getting there.

dancytron

#6 Post by dancytron »

It just takes a while to get used to where things are.

Please edit your first post and put "solved" in the title so people won't keep reading it.

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, mhhack.

As with all things in Linux, there's usually more than one approach to solutions.

Sometimes the .desktop entries in /usr/share/applications won't behave themselves, especially if they haven't been constructed correctly prior to packaging. Occasionally, you'll get the odd Pup where desktop entries simply won't display properly, no matter what you do.

In this instance, you can do what I do. Go into /usr/bin, find the binary that launches your application, then drag that onto the desktop. Then you can rt/clk->'Edit' to make it read whatever you want, and use the entry directly above 'Edit' ('File/Sym-link xxxxx->Change icon) to dress the binary up with an icon.

You can find icons for anything on the net. Use your favourite search engine, and search 'PNG icon for xxxxx(whatever)'. Find something you like, save it, then use it on your desktop entry. PNG icons work best, since they usually have transparency built-in around them.

Mike. :wink: