Notecase and Notecase Pro

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
mikeslr

Notecase and Notecase Pro

#1 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

Notecase is an application built into many (most/all?) Puppies. Which may explain why it didn't have its own thread within the Additional Software Subforum. As a consequence posts regarding it are scattered, making it difficult to figure out what's going on and intelligently discuss.

I discovered this state of affairs when I wanted to add to the Notecase thread a link to the thread bert07 opened about Notecase Pro, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 323#900323.

Notecase, IMHO, Notecase appears to be a little appreciated and, consequently, under-utilized application. See my post on the above thread. Its own thread may rectify that condition.

Moderater, feel free to move this post if I overlooked a specific previous thread. Users, feel free to post links on this thread to prior discussions or start new discussions.

mikesLr

tallboy

#2 Post by tallboy »

I am not familiar with many other Puppies, but both Lucid 5.2.8-005.1 and 5.2.8.7 are missing the help file /usr/share/doc/notecase/help.ncd. That is not very helpful, but I have addressed the issue before:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 584#800228
and
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 023#687349
Notecase is an excellent application, but without the helpfile, you cannot possibly realise how useful it is, so download it and read it from the menu.

I use Notecase every day, I store sorted info, tips and tricks on puppylinux, my cars and parts for them, motors and machines, collected sewing machines, and in genealogy I store a family or a branch of ancestors, very easy to do with child inserts in many levels.

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

slavvo67

#3 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi Tallboy:

I use Notecase quite often, as well. I note, the help file seems to be more of a how to install with some tips on how to use via command line. Maybe it's intuitive enough that the help file isn't necessary?

Anyway, I did add the help file in Quirky RU Xerus. It should be noted that the directory where the help file should be installed in Quirky Xerus and maybe other Quirkies is /usr/doc/notecase/notecase/help.ncd

Thanks,

Slavvo67

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

Here is the direct link to the helpfile:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=64943
I think the helpfile is necessary if you want to get a good overview of the shortcuts. Personally I think the attached changelog in the help file is interesting to browse, to get a deeper understanding of the application. That is also where i found the Ctrl+P shortcut, to toggle between tree and text. (I try to cut down on mouseclicks... :D )
I have both /usr/doc/ and /usr/share/doc/ in Lucid 5.2.8.7, I guess the helpfile may be placed in different directories in different Puppies. The main reason for the address I gave for Lucid, is this message from higher powers: :shock:
Attachments
shot.png
(6.7 KiB) Downloaded 407 times

slavvo67

#5 Post by slavvo67 »

Is there a way from the command line to merge or import a notecase into another?

tallboy

#6 Post by tallboy »

Code: Select all

To merge two NoteCase files:

1. Load the first NoteCase file.
2. Import the next document file. The new file will be appended at the end of the node tree.
3. Repeat step 2 for any additional files to be merged.
That is what the helpfile says, I have not found another way.
But, after merging you can sort them, and then save. If you have 2 similar Notecases, for example on separate machines, you have to sort the children separately after 'dumping' the children from one into another. You can also make a third Notecase and import from the other two, and sort the new children every time. Timeconsuming, yes! :? (and it is not given that a Notecase will accept two others to be open at the same time...)

tallboy

smokey01

#7 Post by smokey01 »

After importing other notecase files use the shift+cursor keys to move up/down/right and left.

tallboy

#8 Post by tallboy »

smokey01: Nice! :D

tallboy

slavvo67

#9 Post by slavvo67 »

Looks like Notecase Pro supports command line scripts. Might be worth purchasing....

scsijon

#10 Post by scsijon »

slavvo67 wrote:Looks like Notecase Pro supports command line scripts. Might be worth purchasing....
Yeah, you have to pay for what should in linux be free, like the editing features!

I'm playing wiht the latest (432) now, but quite frankly I don't see any decent improvement over what I can get and add in 198, and even BarryK's latest pyro64 is still using that, as is T2 and a number of other distributions.

The only thing I would like is a tutorial on how to setup different functions, the so called official help file seems to be related to the changes in versions and I don't call that a help file. Barry's version of the help file is at least a start and tells you where to see the real thing, but....

If anyone has a pointer to a tutorial file, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

EDIT1:
How interesting, i've just d/l the windows version of 198 and it's got quite a help file, but it still doesn't work as a tutorial. I shall have a look at 432's next, but if that's the same type of content it's not what I need to use it to teach with. I may have to write something!

thanks