USB 3.0: (New) Samsung/SanDisk FlashD halt boot on laptop

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Mitchellray

#16 Post by Mitchellray »

Hello Mike Walsh.
Oddly, my SanDisk looks like the top pic, but is a 3.0 version. My presario has a couple of 1 series and one 2 series usb port.

Using the directions for pyro32 install to usb, the drives will boot the os.
It is that the drives were stopping the boot process when they had no os on them, but only backup files. I of course changed the boot order to cd first choice to boot the Precise os I use daily. But I still would liked to have had a definitive answer to the why of it.

Now, I left pyro32 on the Samsung fit 3.0 usb and created a third partition for backup files.
The SanDisk has backup (copies) of files to access on my pi3.
On the SanDisk, after installing pyro32, I deleted the pyro32 directories and files from both created partitions (but left the two partitions). That keeps it from interfering with the boot process of the presario as well. And it of course is not an issue for the pi3 in any case as far as booting.
M

gychang

#17 Post by gychang »

questions.

1. anyone use "stubby" USB 3.0 (16-32G), that is puppy friendly as boot OS in laptop?, which model from Amazon?

2. USB 3.0 faster than 2.0 in general even in USB 2.0 machines?
---
trying to learn puppylinux... :D
---

8Geee

#18 Post by 8Geee »

point #2... not that much faster, about 5%
A good SanDisk USB2.0 will transfer better than 20Mb/sec. Mine are going 21Mb/sec, but results may vary according to motherboard.

point #1 bringsup a good question... is the "no boot" scenario limited to SDXC drives (over 32Gb) or do the SDHC (32Gb and less) also do not boot.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."