Puppy is the greatest

Promote Puppy !
nic007

#16 Post by nic007 »

bigpup wrote:HP web site is probably not going to have them.
Have to go to a hardware manufactures web site.

Retrovol full window settings are usually preset.
Always need to adjust.
PCM setting has big affect on sound volume.

Right click on tray speaker icon.
Select full window.

I can not guess at the graphics hardware :shock:
So, what is it?????????
Got nothing to do with the volume settings, mine is almost at full blast on PCM and Master. It's a quality/fidelity issue. Having said that, the sound volume in Windows can go much higher than in Puppy. In Tahr the volume is really low even at the highest volume settings.

bigpup

#17 Post by bigpup »

Best to have PCM maxed out.

Could see if in Retrovol config window
volume scaling
Changing this helps any.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#18 Post by Mike Walsh »

bigpup wrote:Best to have PCM maxed out.

volume scaling
Changing this helps any.
^^^ Agreed.

'Logarithmic' gives way better results than 'linear'. I figured that one out years ago..... Mind you, having a powered speaker system with its own amp and sub-woofer helps enormously, too.

Mike. :wink:

nic007

#19 Post by nic007 »

Mike Walsh wrote:
bigpup wrote:Best to have PCM maxed out.

volume scaling
Changing this helps any.
^^^ Agreed.

'Logarithmic' gives way better results than 'linear'. I figured that one out years ago..... Mind you, having a powered speaker system with its own amp and sub-woofer helps enormously, too.

Looks like you have some quality sound equipment there. What you need to do is, is to play your music on a windows machine running the same software (eg. VLC) and you will hear what I'm talking about; better sound production/quality/fidelity overall using windows.

nic007

#20 Post by nic007 »

version2013 wrote:
nic007 wrote:Unfortunately I will have to burst a few bubbles. I agree that Puppy is a very good allround system, good enough for daily general tasks. However, it seems that Puppy and Linux in general make mostly use of generic drivers. When I installed Windows XP, I had to download system specific audio and video drivers from the manufacturers site. These drivers ultimately renders a far superior audio and video experience. I listen a lot to high quality music and also watch a lot of HD movies. The difference in quality on my Windows machine is very noticeabe compared to Puppy (using the same software, VLC in case of the movies). So, in my case, I tend to use Windows XP most of the time for a superior quality listening and viewing experience.

BTW - I'm still trying to figure out how to disable screen blanking in Tahr 605. Unlike other Puppys, this one refuses to accept anything I've tried so far (and I've tried a lot of things).
My limited testing appears to successfully disable screen blanking in Tahr 6.0.5
Menu > Desktop > JWMDesk Manager > Screen Save > Disable
Thanks that tool worked. I was not aware of it as I normally use older puppys.

bigpup

#21 Post by bigpup »

VLC does have it's own settings.

Have you checked the setup in VLC in Puppy?
There are a lot of settings you can adjust and change.
Attachments
capture12338.jpg
(46.86 KiB) Downloaded 743 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

nic007

#22 Post by nic007 »

bigpup wrote:VLC does have it's own settings.

Have you checked the setup in VLC in Puppy?
There are a lot of settings you can adjust and change.

Yes, I have done a lot of exploration with VLC settings in both my windows and puppy (same version of VLC too) on the same machine. First of all, the same settings for VLC (eg: setting the same level settings for the equalizer) in windows and puppy just does not give the same results. So setting the equalizer settings as best (for my hearing) for both operating systems individually still results in the sound sounding better in windows. I also have another music player I use in both windows and puppy with the same results. Sound reproduction always better on the windows machine. So what we have here is the same hardware and software with windows giving the better result. The windows sound drivers/architecture for this specific machine must be better (or works better). It's the only logical conclusion I can make.

bigpup

#23 Post by bigpup »

This is something I found on the web.

Could try it.

Add to or create ~/.config/pulse/daemon.conf

This goes in the daemon.conf file

Code: Select all

default-sample-format = float32ne
default-sample-rate = 48000
alternate-sample-rate = 44100
default-sample-channels = 2
default-channel-map = front-left,front-right
default-fragments = 2
default-fragment-size-msec = 125
resample-method = soxr-vhq
enable-lfe-remixing = no
high-priority = yes
nice-level = -11
realtime-scheduling = yes
realtime-priority = 9
rlimit-rtprio = 9
daemonize = no
it won't work for all, so you may try out float32le instead or any of default sampling formats:

s16le, s16be, s24le, s24be, s24-32le, s24-32be, s32le, s32be float32le, float32be, ulaw, alaw

Also depending on the endianness of the CPU the
formats s16ne, s16re, s24ne, s24re, s24-32ne, s24-32re, s32ne, s32re,
float32ne, float32re (for native, resp. reverse endian) are available
as aliases.
YaPI(any iso installer)

JFB

#24 Post by JFB »

Well, Puppy may not be the "greatest", but it is pretty darn awesome... I'm running Tahrpup 6.0.5 on two 32 bit boxes that are 10+ years old, that I pulled out of my pile of defunct laptops... And both are running great... So, my bubble has not burst... If anything, I'm becoming quite a Puppy enthusiast... (though I am a bit intoxicated)... Hurrah Puppy!...

Mike Walsh

#25 Post by Mike Walsh »

@nic007:-
nic007 wrote:Looks like you have some quality sound equipment there. What you need to do is, is to play your music on a windows machine running the same software (eg. VLC) and you will hear what I'm talking about; better sound production/quality/fidelity overall using windows.
Oh, it's nowt special, really; just a middle of the road Goodmans system. It's actually been designed as a 'booster' system for playback of any personal music-player (CD, mp3, radio, iPlayer, etc.), because its sole input is a built-in 3-foot lead with a 3.5 mm jack plug on the end.....same as any set of headphones/earbuds.

But it's got a 30w RMS amp built-in to the 4 1/2 " sub, along with with a fairly good quality set of 4" 'satellite' speakers (with separate tweeters). PCM is usually on around 90-95% in my Pups. I can turn this thing up loud enough to hurt my eardrums.....and that's without detectable distortion, sharp, clear treble and pretty 'punchy' bass. Makes for way better enjoyment of NetFlix, that's for sure! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with you about Windows sound reproduction (I think). Back when I was running XP on this same machine, I used to use the genuine RealTek AC'97 drivers with the built in sound 'tweaker' package. Volume would go a hell of a lot higher in Windows, it's true.....and, although I'm no audiophile, sound quality was just indefinably 'better', somehow.

Overall, though, I just like crisp, clear treble, and smooth, rich bass. Which this Goodmans system delivers in spades. I never really get anywhere near its limits....it's getting painful by just over the half-way mark on the amp's volume control!
JFB wrote:Well, Puppy may not be the "greatest", but it is pretty darn awesome... I'm running Tahrpup 6.0.5 on two 32 bit boxes that are 10+ years old, that I pulled out of my pile of defunct laptops... And both are running great... So, my bubble has not burst... If anything, I'm becoming quite a Puppy enthusiast... (though I am a bit intoxicated)... Hurrah Puppy!...
Good for you, old son. Puppies are downright addictive, y'know...!! :D

nic007

#26 Post by nic007 »

Discovered another thing where Windows dial-up are vastly superior. Using pupdial for my 3G cellphone modem. Downloading youtube videos with the same mozilla addon-downloader, I get downloads up to 8 times faster with Windows' dialup. :(

JFB

#27 Post by JFB »

I have six old laptops sitting around, with debian, and the *buntu distros installed. And I have a Dell XPS with Windows 7 installed. But, more often than not, I find myself using my TahrPup box... I just like it...

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#28 Post by Lobster »

> Well, Puppy may not be the "greatest",

Wot?
Puppy is the greatest, smallest and not an oxymoron ... :wink:

Puppy is:
Fully biodegradable.
Uses landfill resources efficiently
https://youtu.be/rDTLJYDHX3g

It can run inside a goat ... eh ... inside ram :oops:
It has great support, great developers ... no outstanding developers ...
... and guess who is coming soon (I can feel it in my puppy bones)
BusterPup

Omnia vincit catella
Puppy conquers all (even latin)
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 12 Jul 2019, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#29 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D