Cover Your Ass(ets)

Miscellaneous tools
labbe5

Cover Your Ass(ets)

#1 Post by labbe5 »

From README :

CYA .:. Cover Your Ass(ets)

This open source and freely available tool is written to run in the BASH shell and allows for easy snapshots and rollbacks of your Linux (any flavor) or other *nix operating system. It is filesystem agnostic (EXT2/3/4, XFS, UFS, GPFS, reiserFS, JFS, BtrFS, ZFS), easy to remove, and is portable. Plus, obviously, you are free to verify all the code. This system only backups and restores the operating system itself and not your actual user data. **This is a system restore utility.**

The underlying backup method is actually rsync - a well known and vetted system. However CYA makes it super simple to create rolling backups. This is because with a **single command** it will copy all key directories like /bin/ /lib/ /usr/ /var/ and several others. You are even free to add your own unique directories and files into the configuration so CYA will pick those up as well. It is also possible to configure the system to skip subdirectories so if you don't want /var/logs/ backed up with the /var/ directory no problem.

Interested?
Look here for downloading CYA zip : https://www.cyberws.com/bash/cya/

UPDATE
If you are fearful to use this script, fear no more. It does what it is supposed to do. I just did not use it to do a restore yet, but i have a backup of my OS in cya folder. The backup process is very fast. I doubt Puppy can use this script as it is, so unique is Puppy.