How to configure firewall?

Booting, installing, newbie
kpfuser

How to configure firewall?

#1 Post by kpfuser »

Just started using puppy. Following the setup of an internet connection, it became top priority to look after security. However, reading the relevant FAQ section and going through the steps of setting up the puppy firewall left me feeling rather insecure.

To begin with, it appears that puppy's default firewall is similar to the Microsoft Internet Connection Firewall which is part of the WinXP package. The latter is meant to block unsolicited incoming connection attempts but this is where protection ends. There is no built-in capability to block illicit outgoing connections.

Of course I would not expect too much from such a small Linux distribution and the purpose of this post is not to gripe. It is meant to look for help from those more knowledgeable on Linux security matters. What I would be comfortable with is a firewall operating on custom-made rules and able to log any and all incoming and outgoing as well as successful or unsuccessful connection attempts.

So to sum it up, what solutions are available that can work with puppy? Based on its first impression, puppy is VERY attractive but only if it can be secured properly. So what are my options?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

Puppy's firewall is iptables

if you don't like the iptable rules created by the firewall configuration script, you can create your own

Quicktables is a simple but powerful and flexible tool to create a firewall script ... available as a dotpup package, or you can go to the web site: http://qtables.radom.org/

kpfuser

#3 Post by kpfuser »

hanks for the info.

I did check the link you included. First it does look alien as it resembles nothing I've run into when dealing with firewalls so far. Second I saw nothing that would allow defining connection permissions for each application. Are you sure this can be done with Quicktables? It also looks like the script to be generated would paint everything in advance either black or white, i.e., the firewall would not revert to asking what it should do in a situation not forseen when the script was generated. Am I right?