Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 22 Sep 2019, 08:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE (RC-5)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 45 of 46 [685 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 43, 44, 45, 46 Next
radky

PostPosted: Sun 04 Aug 2019, 16:05    Post subject: Re: rox drive id
Subject description: home partition id

WiZard wrote:
On my system I have 1 hard drive with 2 partitions so the desktop shows icons sda1 and sda2. All my frugal installs are in sda1. When I mount sda1 the rox title bar identifies it as: /initrd/mnt/dev_save . The previous versions of puppy I've used including slacko 6.3, puppy 5.7.1 and lucid 5.28 all identiify sda1 as: /mnt/home which I find much more logical.

Is there a way to change rox's behavior in 7.5 to identify the home partition as: /mnt/home?

Hi WiZard,

Concerning the ROX Filer title bar, I'm not aware of configuration options that would allow user control of the mounted-partition label.

Looking beyond ROX Filer, since the release of legacy versions of Puppy such as lucid 5.28, there have been multiple updates of the pup-event code responsible for mounting and displaying partitions when you click desktop drive icons. This could impact the designated labels of drive partitions.

Maybe others will have additional comments.

rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 05 Aug 2019, 15:18    Post subject:  

I submitted Issue #1519 to the woof-CE project to address the /mnt/home problem.

There seems to be a workaround, although changing woodenshoe-wi's version of roxfiler might be a better solution.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 08 Aug 2019, 20:38    Post subject:  

Since I've never advised my cats that they weren't dogs, they don't mind adorning my dpup-stretch desktop; or, for that matter, my computer, my chair, the kitchen table or any other place which they fancy.

Well, candor requires that I mention that's not really a picture of one of my cats. I flinched it from the web. Perhaps violating someone's copyright. Just be warned.
Screenshot.png
 Description   My current desktop
 Filesize   199.67 KB
 Viewed   571 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

radky

PostPosted: Sat 10 Aug 2019, 11:01    Post subject:  

mikeslr wrote:
Since I've never advised my cats that they weren't dogs, they don't mind adorning my dpup-stretch desktop...

Thanks for sharing! Smile

radky

PostPosted: Sat 10 Aug 2019, 11:03    Post subject:  

rerwin wrote:
I submitted Issue #1519 to the woof-CE project to address the /mnt/home problem.

The upcoming RC-6 will include the Woof-CE fix for the /mnt/home issue.

Thanks rerwin.

cthisbear

PostPosted: Sun 11 Aug 2019, 19:07    Post subject:  

mikeslr:

" Well, candor requires that I mention that's not really a picture of
one of my cats. "

So...Paw form from you.

Cheers...Chris.
cthisbear

PostPosted: Sun 11 Aug 2019, 19:08    Post subject:  

Double post
lizardidi

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2019, 01:09    Post subject:  

Hi all. Recently I tried to boot Dpup Stretch 7.5 on a UEFI enabled Lenovo Zenbook laptop. My dpup stretch is frugally installed on a 32 gb Toshiba usb 2.0 pendrive. I booted dpup on various older pc and laptop using the same pendrive.

On the Zenbook laptop, I disabled Security boot, enabled Usb boot, yet I unable to detect usb in the UEFI boot option.

My question: is Dpup Stretch can boot via UEFI, or should I switch to Legacy boot? (ps: tried Legacy boot option, it detected my Toshiba usb, but unable to boot into Dpup Stretch.)
phat7

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2019, 01:41    Post subject:  

@radky
Is BusterPup the successor of Dpup Stretch or will you continue to develop them both? If so, how are they different?

One more thing: Directory /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons used to contain lots of mini icons. Now only three!
Is this on purpose? I use these icons quite a lot and changing all my symlinks is not what I would like to do.
radky

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2019, 22:46    Post subject:  

lizardidi wrote:
Hi all. Recently I tried to boot Dpup Stretch 7.5 on a UEFI enabled Lenovo Zenbook laptop. My dpup stretch is frugally installed on a 32 gb Toshiba usb 2.0 pendrive. I booted dpup on various older pc and laptop using the same pendrive.

On the Zenbook laptop, I disabled Security boot, enabled Usb boot, yet I unable to detect usb in the UEFI boot option.

My question: is Dpup Stretch can boot via UEFI, or should I switch to Legacy boot? (ps: tried Legacy boot option, it detected my Toshiba usb, but unable to boot into Dpup Stretch.)

Hi lizardidi,

The k4.1.48 iso is for older hardware. I assume you are using Dpup Stretch 7.5 RC5 with k4.19.56 which provides better support for recent hardware.

Yes, Dpup Stretch supports EFI booting.

However, my PCs are not UEFI capable, so my personal experience is limited.

Maybe other forum members with practical UEFI experience will provide recommendations.

radky

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2019, 22:52    Post subject:  

phat7 wrote:
Quote:
Is BusterPup the successor of Dpup Stretch or will you continue to develop them both? If so, how are they different?

Dpup Stretch is built with binaries from Debian 9 (oldstable release) and BusterPup is built from Debian 10 (current stable release).

Package support for Dpup Stretch will continue for the next 3 years compared to 5 years for BusterPup. I hope to provide updates and bug fixes for both releases, at least for the near term. Hopefully, our many long-term forum members will feel free to answer general-use questions presented by new members.

phat7 wrote:
Quote:
One more thing: Directory /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons used to contain lots of mini icons. Now only three!
Is this on purpose? I use these icons quite a lot and changing all my symlinks is not what I would like to do.

Most of the original icons in /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons were removed from Woof-CE Pups in 2015. Please see the following link:

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/issues/560

phat7

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2019, 23:36    Post subject:  

radky wrote:
Most of the original icons in /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons were removed from Woof-CE Pups in 2015. Please see the following link:

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/issues/560

Thank you, very interesting. ONE guy finds these icons useless and proposes that "we" should remove them. Another guy agrees. Done!
Explains a lot of funny changes in woof-CE.
ozsouth

PostPosted: Tue 13 Aug 2019, 00:51    Post subject:  

For anyone who is unaware:- the proposer of the change Phat7 mentioned, 01micko, is the ordained successor of the originator of Puppy Linux, BarryK. Zigbert is a long time developer. Mavrothal continues to develop. There is some discussion about a fork of Legacy Woof (Base Puppy Development system), for those unhappy with the current direction.
foxpup

PostPosted: Tue 13 Aug 2019, 07:04    Post subject:  

lizardidi wrote:
My dpup stretch is frugally installed on a 32 gb Toshiba usb 2.0 pendrive. I booted dpup on various older pc and laptop using the same pendrive.

Have you put a uefi binary and configuration file (grub2 or rEFInd, maybe syslinux (???)) on your Toshiba pendrive?
You probably have just grub4dos installed.

But if you could do legacy mbr boot, why bother.
What happens if you try legacy boot? Where does it stop and does it report anything?
Can you boot anything else from pendrive?
Are you using sleep or hibernation in Windoze?
lizardidi

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug 2019, 01:46    Post subject:  

thanks radky. yes, I am using k4.1.48 iso dpup stretch as it boots much faster on a 13 years old Compaq Presario laptop.

to foxpup, yes my pendrive only installed grub4dos. in legacy mode, nothing happened. The laptop juz boot into windoze.. I tried with antix installed on another 16gb pendrive. Nothing happened too.

Yes indeed the k4.1.48 iso is for older hardware. But the same dpup stretch setup booted successfully on Dell pc with latest i7 processor.

Wish to use the same os with my custom setting accross all pc. Is there a boot method or grub setting that can boot for both new and old hardware?
Page 45 of 46 [685 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 43, 44, 45, 46 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: