Need a Puppy for a Gateway LT 2032u netbook

Booting, installing, newbie
jacatone

Need a Puppy for a Gateway LT 2032u netbook

#1 Post by jacatone »

Have an old Gateway LT 2032u netbook. The only os that'll even install on this thing is Puplite 5 but I can't seem to connect to my wifi with WPA2. I just need something to stream some content and watch movie rips like mkv, avi and so on. SlimPup and LXPup won't install. Can anyone recommend something?

greengeek

#2 Post by greengeek »

Might be worth posting the specs of what you have - since the same PC may have been released with different specs in different countries.

As far as I can tell from the googling I have done you may have 1Gb of ram- I would recommend trying Slacko 5.6 or 5.7 as a starting point and then posting any problems or deficiencies you find.

Also - what do you want to install to or boot from? external CD drive, HDD or usb?

cheers!

s243a

Re: Looking for a PL distro

#3 Post by s243a »

jacatone wrote:Have an old Gateway LT 2032u netbook. The only os that'll even install on this thing is Puplite 5 but I can't seem to connect to my wifi with WPA2. I just need something to stream some content and watch movie rips like mkv, avi and so on. SlimPup and LXPup won't install. Can anyone recommend something?
Id give either Tharpup 6.0.6 a try
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... 20-6.0-CE/

or Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Dec., 2016; 2017 RC
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=975

peterw

Wifi Connection

#4 Post by peterw »

A few points about your WPA2 connection.

It may help if we know for sure what network card you have. On a Mint forum I found this, "I've got a Gateway LT-2032u Netbook with an Atheros AR8131" which suggests that you have an Atheros chip set. It may help if we knew this for certain. I would have thought that it should work.

Your laptop may have a switch (hardware or software) that controls Wifi?

If you can't get the card to work it may be possible to pull the card from inside and replace it with another.

Use an external USB wifi adaptor.

I am not certain why you have problems installing Puppy on it. I use frugal installs which should be easy to do since you already have a Puppy aboard. You can add as many as you want with the frugal technique. It can be installed same partition as the Puppy 5, etc. And Grub4Dos will find it and provide the bootloader. Slacko32 is very good.

8Geee

#5 Post by 8Geee »

For your Gateway netbook...

Eons2018a Puppy. It is based upon Slacko5.7 by 01micko. I have included a configured browser, and updated all patches until Oct. 2017 in this iso.

It has an Office and yet is a 150Mb iso. YouTube plays nice.
You do not need a swap file... only consumes about 300Mb when online... about 50Mb offline.

Recommended is a 1Gb partition and have a 256Mb save-file.

Happy Holidays
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

cthisbear

#6 Post by cthisbear »

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

I agree with greengeek and 8Geee. The 5-series Slackos would be a good starting point.

I suspect the two you say you tried are based on fairly recent Puppies, and are therefore rather 'heavy' for your hardware... Since, like my own elderly Dell laptop, your graphics uses 'shared' memory, it might be an idea to check in the BIOS to see what kind of amount has been allocated to it. For Puppy, 16-32 MB of 'VRAM' is fine.

------------------------------------------------

As for the wifi? I'd definitely go with a USB wifi adapter. There's no end out there that work well with Puppy.....and it's often a much simpler 'fix' than attempting to coax a recalcitrant internal wifi card into some semblance of life. I'd recommend this one, as the 8192cu RealTek chip it uses is supported by the kernel in every Pup I've ever tried it in.

It's perhaps a wee bit more expensive than some out there, but you do get what you pay for; it's reliable (doesn't appear to suffer from signal 'drop-out'), auto-connects flawlessly, once it's set up, and, more importantly.....it runs quite cool. Some of the 'cheap'n'cheerfuls' you can get from the Far East are dreadful in this respect.....

Hope that helps.

Mike. :wink:

peterw

Gateway Wifi card

#8 Post by peterw »

@cthisbear

The specs look good but don't give the details about the Wifi card. I think it is an Atheros one. It would help if we knew.

@jacatone

It would be useful if you could let us see what Puppy sees when it is starting up. In a terminal type dmesg > /tmp/dmesg.txt and I think a file will appear in the tmp directory that you can attach to a response that we can examine.