How can I run an app "As normal user"?

Using applications, configuring, problems
lolo69

How can I run an app "As normal user"?

#1 Post by lolo69 »

Really sorry, I posted this before at HOWTO's section. My bad.

I've downloaded the last version of the game Wakfu from its own page https://www.wakfu.com/en/mmorpg/download. It is a tar.gz file, so I extracted it and run the App and nothing happened.

I retried running it through the terminal and shows this:

Code: Select all

./Wakfu 
Please run ./Wakfu as a normal user, and not with the root account
I know puppy is not a multiple-users os, but I think there must be a way to run it.

I downloaded the run-as-spot script From here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86526.
I actually didn't understand it completely, but it created a shell command "run-as-spot" so, I used it with the app and shows this:

root# run-as-spot ./Wakfu 
sh: line 0: cd: /root/Downloads/wakfu-x86.tar.gz.extracted/Wakfu: Not a directory
Some Help Anyone? :?

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

Just guessing, but I'd move your game to /root/spot/wakfu and then try to use the whole path.

#run-as-spot /root/spot/wakfu
Also make sure that "wakfu" is set to be executable.

lolo69

#3 Post by lolo69 »

dancytron wrote:Just guessing, but I'd move your game to /root/spot/wakfu and then try to use the whole path.

#run-as-spot /root/spot/wakfu
Also make sure that "wakfu" is set to be executable.
Well, It worked to me thanks bro.

But... when the app runs, it is supposed to update it but now it shows a sign saying:

The update failed because you did not allow administrator privileges. Retry

How do I run it as spot providing admin's privileges?

don570

#4 Post by don570 »

It appears that directory doesn't have correct permissions.

Urban penguin...

Creating a directory to share

The directory that we will share out will act as a mount point for external storage. So we will need to create the directory and set appropriate permissions to the directory. Using mkdir we can both create the directory and set the permissions in the one command. The -m option will allow you to set the mode or permissions of the directory.

sudo mkdir -m 1777 /data

Directory Permissions

Investigating the above command, we can see the easy part of cofiguring a Raspberry Pi Samba Server, creating the directory /data. As the directory is at the root of the file-system we will need administrative permissions. To do this so we run it prefaced with the sudo command. The mode of the directory is set with the -m option:

1: sets the sticky bit. This set on a directory ensures that users can only delete files they own.
7: sets RWX read , write and execute for the user owner
7: sets RWX read , write and execute for the group owner
7: sets RWX read , write and execute for others

dancytron

#5 Post by dancytron »

Either what Don says or maybe the waku folder needs to be owned by spot and isn't.

Something like.

chown -R spot /root/spot/nameofwakufolder

lolo69

#6 Post by lolo69 »

don570 wrote:It appears that directory doesn't have correct permissions.

Urban penguin...

Creating a directory to share

The directory that we will share out will act as a mount point for external storage. So we will need to create the directory and set appropriate permissions to the directory. Using mkdir we can both create the directory and set the permissions in the one command. The -m option will allow you to set the mode or permissions of the directory.

sudo mkdir -m 1777 /data

Directory Permissions

Investigating the above command, we can see the easy part of cofiguring a Raspberry Pi Samba Server, creating the directory /data. As the directory is at the root of the file-system we will need administrative permissions. To do this so we run it prefaced with the sudo command. The mode of the directory is set with the -m option:

1: sets the sticky bit. This set on a directory ensures that users can only delete files they own.
7: sets RWX read , write and execute for the user owner
7: sets RWX read , write and execute for the group owner
7: sets RWX read , write and execute for others
Nope, It did not work.

I created a folder in spot folder using such

sudo mkdir -m 1777 /foldername

But it repeated the "Run as normal user". Then, I ran it in the new folder using

run-as-spot ./Wakfu
Even with

sudo run-as-spot ./Wakfu
But it just didn't work. it continuing showing "The update failed because you did not allow administrator privileges. Retry"

I also tried out of spot in the / directory and nothing.

Thanks for the mkdir info anyway. but my problem is still there.

lolo69

#7 Post by lolo69 »

dancytron wrote:Either what Don says or maybe the waku folder needs to be owned by spot and isn't.

Something like.

chown -R spot /root/spot/nameofwakufolder
The update failed because you did not allow administrator privileges. Retry

It's still there. Maybe puppy isn't made to deal with these kind of sitations?

If worths, I'm using tarhpup 6.0.5 full install.

dancytron

#8 Post by dancytron »

I got it to run on Tahrpup (it started to update until I ran out of space).

1. copy your Wakfu folder to spot, so that you have it as /root/spot/Wakfu.
2. Open the terminal in /root/spot/Wakfu (you can do this from Rox Filer by navigating to it and then choosing RightClick->Window->Terminal Here)
3. Then do:

chown -R spot:spot /root/spot/Wakfu
4. Then run it by doing:

run-as-spot /root/spot/Wakfu/Wakfu
That should be it.
Attachments
capture18409.png
(11.06 KiB) Downloaded 141 times

dancytron

#9 Post by dancytron »

Assuming you got it to work, please put "solved" in the title of this and the other thread so people will know . . .

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, lolo69/dancytron:-

@Dan:-

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't looked at this thread! I just spent the last half-hour or so knocking together a .pet package for this, complete with Menu entry under 'Fun'...making use of your instructions to 'chown' the Wakfu directory. Works a treat.

Java-based, apparently; all self-contained within the /root/spot/Wakfu/game/contents directory (after the update, that is).

I used to do all this sorta stuff, years and years ago (early 80's, so at least 35 years ago), on a Commodore 64.....when you had to load everything in from a cassette tape, and it was all text-based!

I've got the darn thing updating as I type this post.....

----------------------

@ lolo69:-

If you're interested, here's a .pet package for Wakfu. You'll need to delete your current /root/spot/Wakfu directory if you do, though. It also gives you a Menu entry, so you can start it from the 'Fun' section.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/z285tur9e ... x-i686.pet

Alternately, if you don't want to delete all your downloaded data, here's a MenuEntry .pet which will just give a MenuEntry to start your existing 'install':-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kbxt7287d ... uEntry.pet

Now, then; let's go and see just how many times I can get my ass kicked in rapid succession..! (I am extremely rusty at this kinda thing... :roll: :lol: )

Mike. :wink:

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

@lolo69:-

I dunno how you're planning on using this thing. The fonts are completely unreadable....

Can't do nowt with it like this. BTW, I take it you are aware that you'll need Java installed, in order to use this.......yes? You can get an up-to-date version of Java by using rerwin's get-java-1.0.1 .pet package, from here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101592

EDIT:- For anybody else thinking of trying this, be warned! The 'Update' installs over 1.5 GB of Qt- and Java-related stuff.....so it'd be an idea to move the Wakfu folder to /mnt/home, then sym-link it back to /root/spot. Make sure you reset ownership back to spot:spot. Something like

chown -R spot:spot /mnt/home/Wakfu
You'll also need to chown the sym-link in /root/spot, too. The MenuEntry .pet will start Wakfu with 'run-as-spot'.

Mike. :wink: