Puppy with LXDE and apt-get?

Booting, installing, newbie
Roy360

#1 Post by Roy360 »

Hi all,

I was wondering what kind of pups I could use for a beginner like myself.

I've tried bunch of them now, but I can't find one that's easy to use.

XenialDog - I didn't like the interface and couldn't figure out how to access network shares, but apt-get made it easy to install applications.

XenialPup - I can't for the life of me, figure out how to install PlayonLinux

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Roy.

Mm. Well, 'easy' doesn't always equate to the very newest Pups. And the 'Dogs' are all based on Debian.....along with Synaptic, and 'apt-get', etc.....

Alongside my kennel of Puppies, I also run Anti-X, which is based on Debian. Fine for somebody like myself, who's been messing around with Linux for a few years now.....but even I have to stop and think twice about how to do things when I boot into it; it's very different to Puppy!

I'm going to make a recommendation here, and then I'm going to ask you a couple of questions....OK?

If it was me, and I wanted to find an easy-to-use Pup for a beginner (BTW; what is your 'skill level' with Linux.....is that 'complete beginner with respect to Linux in general', or just 'new to Puppy'?), then I, personally, would go with Tahrpup 6.0.6 (uefi), from here:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... 6-uefi.iso

That's a direct link to the ISO download, BTW. This version of Tahr should boot on any machine, whether it has the older MBR BIOS, or the newer UEFI stuff; the boot 'module' will detect what kind of BIOS you have, and will boot thru it accordingly.

Talking of machines, could you give us some idea of your hardware specs, please? CPU, amount of RAM (this is important for Pup).....HDD, graphics card or chip, etc. That kinda 'boring' stuff; it does help, believe it or not. It gives us a better idea of what kind of Puppy to recommend, for starters.....please remember, we're not there with you, looking over your shoulder. We're also not very good with the old crystal ball, neither!

Depending on specs, of course, Tahr 606 may not be the best Pup to recommend; another may prove better for your use case. Tahr does require between 512 MB and a gig of RAM for best performance; it's miserable when your OS is struggling for lack of memory.

Many older Pups will run happily with between 256 MB and 512 MB.

Over to you.....

Mike. :wink:

mikeslr

Finding what you want

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Roy360,

You haven't told us about your computer or how you are running any Puppy or Dog. Hopefully, you learned enough about Puppy Linux before you got started to do a Frugal install unless your computer has 256 Mbs or less of RAM. I'm going to assume a Frugal Install.

Puppy and this Forum have been around a dozen years or so. Unlike most Linux Distros, Puppy rarely abandons any version leaving its fans high and dry. So, it is not built around a package manager pointing to one or a couple of repos which may later close. That, however, complicates finding what you want. I suggest you do two things:
(1) Bookmark this url. It's a dedicated google search of everything Puppy: https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643 ... #gsc.tab=0 Just plug in a couple of terms.

(2) Take a few minutes to scan the Additional Software Subforum, click each of the sub-entries and see what category of applications they provide. The structure of that Subforum is almost identical to how a standard Puppy's Menu is laid out. Note, however, that structure does not always, or immediately distinguish which flavor of Puppy the application will work under. However, regarding PlayonLinux, you're in luck. Any version of Wine is flavor "agnostic" -- that is it will work with any Puppy.

You'll find PlayonLinux here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90396. Obviously, the end of the thread provides the latest information. But always also read the beginning of the thread for pertinent setup information and limitations.

Although you are looking for PlayOnLinux, may I suggest that you may actually find Portable-Wine easier to use. I built the last version you can find here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 452#971452. It should be able to run anything from XP programs published in 2000 to the latest for Windows 7 and above, if Wine can run them at all.. Much easier to install, to install programs, and has one place on your menu to find them.

And I assume that you know if you are using a 64-bit operating system in order to use ANY Wine, you have to download the 32-bit compatibility layer, then load and configure it.

Although Puppies do not use apt-get, Puppy Package Manager access the repos of binary compatible distros. Compatibility has increase over time and in the last 3 or 4 years has become very good. But not perfect. So its best to see if someone has already built the application you are looking for.

A puppy which actually meets your specifications would be pupjibaro. I've discussed it here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 753#940753 and provided a link. Although it was created by josephjp2424, one of our Spanish speaking members, it will set up to use English. I don't speak Spanish and it didn't present a language problem in my use of it. However, you may find it handy to install a translation extension/addon to your web-browser if you seek specific information from those familiar with it.

Regarding the "Dogs": It would not be inappropriate to ask on either a recent XenialDog or DebianDog thread if there is a version using Lx panel or xfce. If you're familiar with Openbox + lx panel, using Xfce instead is an easy switch. Some Dogs include a Windows-Manager Switcher. So it may only involve finding out how to use it.

mikesLr

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

@mikeslr:-

Mike, I've got a question for you. I've never actually used PlayOnLinux, although I've often toyed with the idea of doing so. Now, looking at kost@s's POL thread, he says you need to install Python 2.6, yes? How d'you go on if you've already got it installed?

I'm in 570 on the old Dell lappie at the moment. As you know, I run version2013's WINE 1.7.51 in every Pup - it just works for my selection of XP apps/programs. I made up some PET packages for 'RecordMyDesktop' , specifically for non-'buntu based Puppies.....and Python 2.6 is one of the required components.

D'you just leave that step out? I'm only asking, 'cos I know you either have used it in the past, or do use it at the moment. Does it work OK for you?

Just curious..!

EDIT:- No, scratch that.....my mistake! 'RecordMyDesktop' uses 2.7, not 2.6. And anyway, I see kost@s's version includes a shed-load of WxWidgets stuff...

I've installed it all, and it's up-and-running. Just gotta throw together a .desktop entry for it, then I shall try it out for real...

M.
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 12 Dec 2017, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Somebody knock some sense into my thick skull, willya?

I got POL running fine.....but RecordMyDesktop quit working in the process, didn't it? I forgot the 'golden rule':-

Don't mix your Pythons..! (Especially close 'relatives' in the same series. It's different mixing Python 2.xx with Python 3.xx.....they're completely different animals.)

And now, with many apologies to Roy360 for dragging his thread completely 'off-topic', I will (not so gracefully, perhaps) withdraw...

Mike. :oops: :wink:

mikeslr

#6 Post by mikeslr »

@ Roy360,

I just booted into XenialDog for the first time in a while. You can change the window-manager via Menu>Preferences>Desktop Manager. One of your choices is pcmanfm (file-manager) + Lxpanel (i.e Openbox window-manager + Lxpanel at the bottom). Once you select that you can Right-Click the bottom panel and create a new panel anywhere else. PlayonLinux is available via synaptic. To set up network shares you'll probably need samba, also available via synaptic. But it certainly would be best to ask on the XenialDog thread just what and how.

@ Mike,

Yah, If you're not careful python will bit you in the butt. :o Frankly, like many ideas about how to make things simple, actual implementation ends up being more complex. One of the reasons after trying PlayOnLinux I reverted to Wine-portable.

@ Roy360, again,

If I recall correctly, I was able to use Wine-portable under 32-bit debiandogs. But it took a little work. Be back as soon as I boot into a Puppy. Edited after rebooting. Actually, the work I recalled was having to set up a multi-arch environment since I was using Xenialpup64, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 963#881963, then handling it the same way as under Puppies which can't handle rox-apps. See my posts on the wine-portable thread. But usually this only means browsing into the wine-portable folder and left-clicking the script with the name "Register".

mikesLr

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

@Mike:-
mikeslr wrote:Yah, If you're not careful python will bite you in the butt.
Tell me about it.

You'd think I'd actually start to learn from my mistakes after all this time, wouldn't you? :roll: :lol:

----------------------------------

@Roy360:-

You might find Samba-TNG a lot easier to use:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60204

Far more lightweight, and much easier to setup than 'full' SAMBA, it suits Puppy down to the ground. Very easy to use, too. I've been using it for a long time; it works extremely well on a home LAN.

Any questions about it, just ask.

mikeslr

#8 Post by mikeslr »

@ Mike "You'd think I'd actually start to learn from my mistakes after all this time, wouldn't you? :roll: :lol: "

I find having a lousy memory and not making an effort to remember painful incidents makes life much more pleasant. :lol:

I agree with the other Mike about Samba-TNG. But as far as I know, its not available under the Dogs. The Dogs have some advantages, but Puppies have others. Not the least of which is ten years of fans creating customized applications.

mikesLr

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

Forget PlayonLinux!

Just install Wine and use it.

For Wine.

Make sure you have the latest version of Wine.
Good place to get Wine for Puppy.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88711

Also, look on the first post of the Wine topic for a added program that puts Wine entries in the menu.

When you get Wine installed and the Wine menu entries.
Run Wine config to setup Wine.
It will probably offer you a few more programs needed for Wine to run properly.
Should download and install them as part of the initial config.

Also, in Wine config->Drivers Select autodetect to get all the driver locations loaded in Wine.

A lot of settup options in Wine config, so check them all.

What version of Windows you want Wine to mimic can affect how a program runs. Wine Config->Applications.

About specific programs running in Wine.
Go to the Wine web site and see what it says about a specific program and issues.
http://www.winehq.org

Using Wine is almost like learning a new operating system.
Takes a while to learn how to use Wine and to get things working properly.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

hamoudoudou

Apt-get synaptic included in some versions.

#10 Post by hamoudoudou »

Pupjibaro is build by americanos del sur. Apt-get synaptic included in some versions.
See murga forum section spanish
usa synaptic como gestor de paquetes y puedes instalar desde consola con apt-get . click
These jibaro are for new-comers to Puppy Linux and fully documented.. hotline assumed daily by Nilson Morales, spanish as native language, and English learnt at school, now quite fluent