Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 11:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
OneBone resurrection
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 3 [41 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
marksouth2000

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep 2006, 15:10    Post subject:  

GuestToo wrote:
of course, you can move a job to the background by pressing ctrl+Z and use fg, bg and jobs to switch between tasks (unlike dos, linux is a multitasking environment.)

Yes, that's how we did it back in the 70's and in the 80's when we had to share the VAX across multiple VT220s. It's also the reason why everything can be done from inside Emacs. (Better mention that before someone suggests I install Slackware 8.0 and use Emacs for everything.)

Some technical progress has been made in the intervening decades, however. Now, even the most pathetic PC can easily cope with a basic windowing environment and have multiple terminals visible, which is easier on the eyes and more convenient, not to mention being able to copy and paste the way the MIT gods intended.
sunburnt

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep 2006, 15:11    Post subject:  

The TinyX package is only 1-2MB in size, a 532KB tar.gz file...

Or the Kdrive package MU's hosting, I got it working with Pico_Pup that he has.
But I couldn't get GTK working properly to display the dialogs I'd made for it.

Other 1 floppy distros (SlimLinux, 1DiskX, etc.) have X & Yeah or RatPoison WMs.
CLI will be larger I'm sure, so even JWM probably won't add much to it (overall).
Nathan F

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep 2006, 16:36    Post subject:  

Okay guys, here's my first take on it. I've uploaded this as a torrent file but if anyone has problems I can provide an ftp link also. The main programs are as of now:

Elinks with javascript
MidnightCommander
E3 text editor
MP text editor
Transmissioncli torrent client
Tinyirc irc client
mpg123 mp3 player
Antiword .doc viewer
Htop process manager
SC spreadsheet
pkgtool package manager

Coming in at a whopping 28megs this should easily run on a 64 or 45 meg machine, probably on a 32 meg box even. No X at this time, but if I add it I will probably use either ctwm or twm and a simple xterm. More than likely I will just create a small X package that you can download if you wish but leave it out of the iso.

It's certainly not done yet, but seems to be pretty good to me. I need to update the help index with some of the new programs (most have help available with the man command) and maybe add some Onebone specific instructions also. Like how to get onto the internet for one. A couple other packages I'm still evaluating like mailx (nail) and maybe a few games. I even compiled fortune. Plus I might edit inittab to provide for more virtual consoles. Anyway, give it a spin, tell me what you think, and give some suggestions. I can't promise I'll use everyone's ideas but I'd like to hear them.

Nathan

torrent url:
ftp://texasangel.org/pub/iso_images/puppy-onebone-2.10beta-elinks.iso.torrent
EDIT
direct http transfer:
http://grafpup.com/download/iso/puppy-onebone-2.10beta-elinks.iso

zigbert

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep 2006, 04:29    Post subject:  

mp3blaster is a very nice program. Like xmms without X - well, not really, but - play, browse, playlist, que...
Nathan F

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep 2006, 20:16    Post subject:  

Well I have an answer for those of you who want to open multiple programs and have them all visible at once, and it can be done without X windows. Here's a screenshot of the venerable program Twin (TerminalWIndowManager). I can't believe it took me so long to find it.

You can do most of the things you would expect from a regular WM including opening multiple windows, resizing, moving, minimize, maximize, and if the GPM daemon is running it can all be done with the mouse also. So the only major component missing would be a root window.

I've packaged it up and if the extra themes are removed it comes in at around 600K, so while not light this is way smaller than adding Xvesa along with a WM and terminal emulator. So I think when I build the final iso I'll add this program. I may also create the minimal X package I talked about earlier, but like I said not for the Onebone iso.

Nathan

MU

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep 2006, 20:18    Post subject:  

http://texasangel.org/images/twin.jpg
raffy

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep 2006, 00:32    Post subject: interesting  

Very interesting, and will be great for an embedded Puppy. Maybe this is what "black gold" means. Very Happy
Nathan F

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep 2006, 01:35    Post subject:  

Ack! My partition just got wiped out. The one that had the puppy-unleashed folder I was working from. I was installing Xubuntu out of curiosity and the installer kept wanting to format that partition no matter what I wanted. I thought I finally had it deselected and now, lo and behold the data on it is trashed. I knew there was a reason I didn't like Ubuntu...

I guess I'll have to recreate it from the point I was at earlier.

Nathan

jcoder24

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep 2006, 11:39    Post subject:  

How about centericq for instant messaging
Nathan F

PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep 2006, 15:23    Post subject:  

I'll have to have a look at centericq because honestly I've never used it. Right now I have Tinyirc in the iso and it's both tiny and easy to use, but having access to more protocals than just irc would be a plus.

I've found another program definately worth looking into. It's a mail client called elmo. The cool thing is that unlike most MUA's elmo can do pop and smtp, so it's not neccesasary to have a mail server installed. It would be even better if it could do imap also but I guess you can't have everything. Elmo even comes with a small configuration program in perl that will write a config file for you, so it's relatively easy to set it up for your accounts. I'm pretty convinced it will go in.

Nathan

Nathan F

PostPosted: Tue 26 Sep 2006, 15:59    Post subject:  

Okay, elmo is definately in. One thing that bothers me is that the maintainer seems to have lost interest in the project, but in it's present state it's really usable and quite nice once you learn the basic keybindings.

Centericq is also great, but at over 3megs is too large to include. I've made a package and will see that it is available for download. Tinyirc works pretty well for irc, however.

Nathan

raffy

PostPosted: Tue 26 Sep 2006, 20:28    Post subject: server (package)  

This may not really fit a OneBone-as-client config, but an advantage of CLI is that you can easily add a server package to it. And Nathan's grafpup LAMP server has been a wonder in GUI. I wonder if a package can be made available for CLI - lots of teachers will be using it in the future. Cool OneBone with Grafpup server is definitely getting into this page.
Nathan F

PostPosted: Tue 26 Sep 2006, 22:26    Post subject:  

You know, I've given it some thought and it wouldn't be too terribly hard to port some of the wizards over to using ncurses dialogs rather than xmessages or xdialog, or whatever. This is potentially a whole separate distro, but I'm too busy to maintain it. So if anybody is interested please do build on this.

Nathan

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep 2006, 03:42    Post subject:  

Smile

I hope someone takes up Nathans offer.
What is the minimum spec this will run on? I ran Barrys initial Onebone. A CLI only (Command Line Interface) Puppy is to scary for a GUI junky like me. I still have c:> prompt nightmares . . .
However for some it is Puppy Heaven, having potential for security, diagnostic and minimalist use. It is also useful as Puppy does make use of CLI tools and these are often required additions. It also gives an entry point for those machines that require something special.

A very different Puppy.

debernardis

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep 2006, 07:55    Post subject: Where's this TWIN thing?  

Nathan F wrote:
Well I have an answer for those of you who want to open multiple programs and have them all visible at once, and it can be done without X windows. Here's a screenshot of the venerable program Twin (TerminalWIndowManager). I can't believe it took me so long to find it.

Would you mind publishing a reference on the forum? It is interesting, I have tried googling a little bit but seems difficult to find.

EDIT: eheheh must be this: http://linuz.sns.it/~max/twin/
Page 2 of 3 [41 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: