OneBone resurrection

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
marksouth2000

#16 Post by marksouth2000 »

GuestToo wrote:of course, you can move a job to the background by pressing ctrl+Z and use fg, bg and jobs to switch between tasks (unlike dos, linux is a multitasking environment.)
Yes, that's how we did it back in the 70's and in the 80's when we had to share the VAX across multiple VT220s. It's also the reason why everything can be done from inside Emacs. (Better mention that before someone suggests I install Slackware 8.0 and use Emacs for everything.)

Some technical progress has been made in the intervening decades, however. Now, even the most pathetic PC can easily cope with a basic windowing environment and have multiple terminals visible, which is easier on the eyes and more convenient, not to mention being able to copy and paste the way the MIT gods intended.

sunburnt

#17 Post by sunburnt »

The TinyX package is only 1-2MB in size, a 532KB tar.gz file...

Or the Kdrive package MU's hosting, I got it working with Pico_Pup that he has.
But I couldn't get GTK working properly to display the dialogs I'd made for it.

Other 1 floppy distros (SlimLinux, 1DiskX, etc.) have X & Yeah or RatPoison WMs.
CLI will be larger I'm sure, so even JWM probably won't add much to it (overall).

Nathan F

#18 Post by Nathan F »

Okay guys, here's my first take on it. I've uploaded this as a torrent file but if anyone has problems I can provide an ftp link also. The main programs are as of now:

Elinks with javascript
MidnightCommander
E3 text editor
MP text editor
Transmissioncli torrent client
Tinyirc irc client
mpg123 mp3 player
Antiword .doc viewer
Htop process manager
SC spreadsheet
pkgtool package manager

Coming in at a whopping 28megs this should easily run on a 64 or 45 meg machine, probably on a 32 meg box even. No X at this time, but if I add it I will probably use either ctwm or twm and a simple xterm. More than likely I will just create a small X package that you can download if you wish but leave it out of the iso.

It's certainly not done yet, but seems to be pretty good to me. I need to update the help index with some of the new programs (most have help available with the man command) and maybe add some Onebone specific instructions also. Like how to get onto the internet for one. A couple other packages I'm still evaluating like mailx (nail) and maybe a few games. I even compiled fortune. Plus I might edit inittab to provide for more virtual consoles. Anyway, give it a spin, tell me what you think, and give some suggestions. I can't promise I'll use everyone's ideas but I'd like to hear them.

Nathan

torrent url:
ftp://texasangel.org/pub/iso_images/pup ... so.torrent
EDIT
direct http transfer:
http://grafpup.com/download/iso/puppy-o ... elinks.iso
Bring on the locusts ...

zigbert

#19 Post by zigbert »

mp3blaster is a very nice program. Like xmms without X - well, not really, but - play, browse, playlist, que...

Nathan F

#20 Post by Nathan F »

Well I have an answer for those of you who want to open multiple programs and have them all visible at once, and it can be done without X windows. Here's a screenshot of the venerable program Twin (TerminalWIndowManager). I can't believe it took me so long to find it.
You can do most of the things you would expect from a regular WM including opening multiple windows, resizing, moving, minimize, maximize, and if the GPM daemon is running it can all be done with the mouse also. So the only major component missing would be a root window.

I've packaged it up and if the extra themes are removed it comes in at around 600K, so while not light this is way smaller than adding Xvesa along with a WM and terminal emulator. So I think when I build the final iso I'll add this program. I may also create the minimal X package I talked about earlier, but like I said not for the Onebone iso.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

MU

#21 Post by MU »

raffy

interesting

#22 Post by raffy »

Very interesting, and will be great for an embedded Puppy. Maybe this is what "black gold" means. :D
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Nathan F

#23 Post by Nathan F »

Ack! My partition just got wiped out. The one that had the puppy-unleashed folder I was working from. I was installing Xubuntu out of curiosity and the installer kept wanting to format that partition no matter what I wanted. I thought I finally had it deselected and now, lo and behold the data on it is trashed. I knew there was a reason I didn't like Ubuntu...

I guess I'll have to recreate it from the point I was at earlier.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

jcoder24

#24 Post by jcoder24 »

How about centericq for instant messaging

Nathan F

#25 Post by Nathan F »

I'll have to have a look at centericq because honestly I've never used it. Right now I have Tinyirc in the iso and it's both tiny and easy to use, but having access to more protocals than just irc would be a plus.

I've found another program definately worth looking into. It's a mail client called elmo. The cool thing is that unlike most MUA's elmo can do pop and smtp, so it's not neccesasary to have a mail server installed. It would be even better if it could do imap also but I guess you can't have everything. Elmo even comes with a small configuration program in perl that will write a config file for you, so it's relatively easy to set it up for your accounts. I'm pretty convinced it will go in.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#26 Post by Nathan F »

Okay, elmo is definately in. One thing that bothers me is that the maintainer seems to have lost interest in the project, but in it's present state it's really usable and quite nice once you learn the basic keybindings.

Centericq is also great, but at over 3megs is too large to include. I've made a package and will see that it is available for download. Tinyirc works pretty well for irc, however.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

raffy

server (package)

#27 Post by raffy »

This may not really fit a OneBone-as-client config, but an advantage of CLI is that you can easily add a server package to it. And Nathan's grafpup LAMP server has been a wonder in GUI. I wonder if a package can be made available for CLI - lots of teachers will be using it in the future. 8) OneBone with Grafpup server is definitely getting into this page.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Nathan F

#28 Post by Nathan F »

You know, I've given it some thought and it wouldn't be too terribly hard to port some of the wizards over to using ncurses dialogs rather than xmessages or xdialog, or whatever. This is potentially a whole separate distro, but I'm too busy to maintain it. So if anybody is interested please do build on this.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#29 Post by Lobster »

:)

I hope someone takes up Nathans offer.
What is the minimum spec this will run on? I ran Barrys initial Onebone. A CLI only (Command Line Interface) Puppy is to scary for a GUI junky like me. I still have c:> prompt nightmares . . .
However for some it is Puppy Heaven, having potential for security, diagnostic and minimalist use. It is also useful as Puppy does make use of CLI tools and these are often required additions. It also gives an entry point for those machines that require something special.

A very different Puppy.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

debernardis

Where's this TWIN thing?

#30 Post by debernardis »

Nathan F wrote:Well I have an answer for those of you who want to open multiple programs and have them all visible at once, and it can be done without X windows. Here's a screenshot of the venerable program Twin (TerminalWIndowManager). I can't believe it took me so long to find it.
Would you mind publishing a reference on the forum? It is interesting, I have tried googling a little bit but seems difficult to find.

EDIT: eheheh must be this: http://linuz.sns.it/~max/twin/

Nathan F

#31 Post by Nathan F »

Yes, that is the program. I will be uploading source for all of these programs shortly, BTW.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Yanagi

#32 Post by Yanagi »

screen would be nice if it isn't already there

http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/screen.html

very useful for doing many things at once without switching terminals

I too would like too see a CLI + LAMP solution. I'm getting one of those microclient jrs. and having the distro small enough to operate well in 128MB with LAMP may be tricky otherwise...

Keeping an eye on this thread.

Nathan F

#33 Post by Nathan F »

Yes, I'm aware of screen, but no, I didn't put it into the iso I created. I chose twin instead, as I just like it better. I realize they have slightly different purposes, but there is a lot of overlap to them.

I still intend to create a few Onebone specific packages, so probably I'll package up screen as well. I have a few goodies like centericq to package up already.
Bring on the locusts ...

primalphunk

#34 Post by primalphunk »

I love your idea for this CLI version of puppy. Is it possible that cjots could find its way into onebone? I have a kde desktop on my main debian machine and love kjots so of course would love to see cjots make its way into puppy. Tuxcards is not my kind of outliner and besides...it's not a console app like cjots.

Hmmm...any musicians out there thinking about a low-latency console based musical puppy? Would it be called pupmudi? I've seen a few interesting packages(like rosegarden) that somebody on the forum has dotpupped that I was totally unprepared for. If I knew enough about linux and programming I'd probably go mad trying to do something like this. :shock:

peace,
James

jediborger

gaim-text for IM

#35 Post by jediborger »

I don't know if this package might be too big, but there is a CLI version of gaim called gaim-text and obviously supports many protocols and would be easy for users to adapt to.

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/sean/blog/gaim-text

Just something else to think of.

Edit: Here's the link to the actual files. It's an rpm but they don't seem to post the source code anywhere.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=462444
Last edited by jediborger on Thu 30 Nov 2006, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.