Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 17 Oct 2018, 16:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to install Puppy via USB onto old Asus netbook?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 4 [57 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
DavidSpector

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 13:13    Post subject:  How to install Puppy via USB onto old Asus netbook?  

The problem I am trying to solve is that my wife only wants to browse and use websites, but our ancient computer with Windows XP and Firefox is incredibly slow, even when I delete the browser history and the cache, and defrag the disk.

The Puppy Linux website seems to date from 2009, with some pages from 2013. Things may have changed since then.

Also, the "beginners" procedures rapidly get complicated, with assumptions like having a CD drive or having some recent OS on harddisk, or having access to Linux. I don't have any of this.

All I have is my main Windows 8.1 computer (with USB but no CD) and my old Asus Windows XP computer (with USB but no CD).

I don't want choices, because trying out various choices will take time I don't have.

I want to install Puppy, with a fast browser included (Firefox or Seamonkey, I think). I don't need a fancy desktop, don't need server software, don't need development software.

Important: I need the LastPass browser addon, which probably gets installed separately. I think there is a version for Linux.

Can someone point me to really simple directions, that are easy to follow and truly complete for this purpose? I don't mind wiping Windows from this computer, and no fooling around with disk partitions, please. Can't I install into the main Windows partition?

Please select a small reliable Puppy for this purpose, and tell me what to do to get it onto a flash drive on my main computer and then get it installed on the old netbook (starting with a boot-from-USB, which I know how to do).

I may also need help along the way if I run into problems ("module xyz123 not found; please insert system CD and type your owner key, encrypted with SHA-256").

Thanks in advance!

David
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 13:50    Post subject:  

Quote:
Asus netbook

What is the model?
Specs if you know them?
Processor, memory, graphics hardware?

GIVE US THE ABOVE INFO BEFORE YOU TRY ANY PUPPY!!!!!

Tahrpup 6.0.5 (32bit version) will probably be a good choice, but need above info to be sure.

Depending on the above info. You may just have to deal with it being slow.

There are several programs to install an iso image to a USB that will run in Windows.
This is one:
UNetbootin to install to USB
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Puppy has this that runs in Windows.
Lick
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61404
It installs Puppy alongside Windows, so both are on the computer.

Should be able to install Lick and run from the Windows XP on the computer.

Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 14:19    Post subject: Re: How to install Puppy via USB onto old Asus netbook
Subject description: Need easy beginner instruction

DavidSpector wrote:
The Puppy Linux website seems to date from 2009, with some pages from 2013. Things may have changed since then.

The newer puppylinux website is here:
http://puppylinux.com/

If you scroll down you should see downloads for Tahrpup, Slacko and Xenialpup.

Unfortunately if your netbook is really old (first-gen single-core Atoms) the ever-growing browser will probably run slow regardless of OS. Those netbooks were made to be barely adequate for browsing when they were released and everything on the internet has gotten more crowded and complex in the last 10 years. 512MB-1GB ram will probably fill up quick and you'll be hitting the HDD swapfile. The included browser in Tahrpup (Palemoon) should be a bit lighter than the more recent Firefoxes though.
DavidSpector

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 14:29    Post subject:  Specifications  

I posted all the specifications, but my post seems to have disappeared!
DavidSpector

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 14:32    Post subject:  Specifications  

Old computer specs:

Asus model: 1000HE
160GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive (Seagate 5400.5)
1GB of DDR2 RAM (667MHz)
Azure wireless adapter
USB 2.0
Intel Atom N280 1.66GHz processor
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
Windows VGA driver Version V6.14.10.4906 (2009)
BIOS Version 1104
Audio Version 5.10.0.5791

"Depending on the above info. You may just have to deal with it being slow."

If there is no fast Linux that can fit, I will be very surprised. This computer used to be fast before Windows updates and Firefox did their wonderful Microsoft and Mozilla long-term magic.
foxpup

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 15:45    Post subject:  

hello DavidSpector

Fortunately it is very easy to make a dual boot with windows XP and a Puppy. Here is how to install a puppy next to windows XP:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130714045005/http://home.ptd.net/~artnpeg/
(You do not need note 5.)
You can place the Puppy on the C: next to Windows and not on a separate partition. "rootnoverify (hd0,2)" then must be "rootnoverify (hd0,0)", and "pdev1=sda3" must be "pdev1=sda1".

You can try multiple Puppies to see which one is best for your machine. Be sure to take 32bit.
I support the recommendations and remarks from Sailor Enceladus.
DavidSpector

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 16:03    Post subject:  

foxpup, Your reply is typical of the help offered to beginners. Not one word actually answers the questions I asked.

I am really looking for a way to download a Linux optimized for browsing without requiring any choices or other work on my part.

As a beginner, and as someone trying to solve my wife's real-world problem, general solutions are not of use.

I am willing to wait. I am sure someone here can pay attention to my OP and give me some practical advice that meets my actual needs.

Again, I want to replace Windows with Linux, to get a very fast browsing computer. I want to do it with a very few commands, using a flash drive to carry software from my Windows 8.1 computer to my Asus Windows XP computer.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 17:34    Post subject:  

You do know how to download a program exe file, from a web site, and install it in Windows?

I gave you two ways to do it.

Use Unetbootin
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
Download the Unetbootin exe file.
Install it into Windows XP or Windows 8.1.
Run Unetbootin.
Follow the directions in the program.
Put Tahrpup 6.0.5 on a USB drive.
Boot with that drive into Tahrpup 6.0.5

Do you know how to boot the computer from a USB drive??

It already has PaleMoon browser installed.
See if that browser works for you.

Get Tahrpup running from the USB and I will tell you how to get Windows off the hard drive and only have Tahrpup on it.
Need to do it from a running Puppy version.

Last edited by bigpup on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 17:53; edited 1 time in total
DavidSpector

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 17:51    Post subject:  

"UNetbootin allows you to create bootable Live USB drives"
--http://unetbootin.github.io/

I don't want a live usb drive. Would run too slowly. I want a HDD-based Linux that can be installed from a flash drive.

"Tahrpup"... :"PaleMoon browser"

Haven't heard of them. Could someone else verify that these will solve the problem I described in my OP?

Sorry, but there is so much bad advice around, I'm skeptical. I need more people to weigh in so I can be sure of what I'm doing. I don't want to waste hours with stuff I've never heard of.

I would prefer firefox or seamonkey. Is there a reason that PaleMoon is better? You didn't given any reasons with your advice.

This is so frustrating.
DavidSpector

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 18:00    Post subject:  

When I do web searches, I find lots of beginner advice for installing Linux Mint. How does it differ from other versions? What minimal Linux is best for running just a browser fast? Anyone?
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 18:05    Post subject:  

Tahrpup is one of the versions of Puppy.
http://puppylinux.com/

If you do not want to believe me I will stop posting!

You have to get Puppy on something to install it to the hard drive.
Installing to the hard drive is done by using programs running in Puppy.

I thought the computer could boot with a USB flash drive?

Do not be too surprised at how fast Puppy can run from a USB flash drive. Do not judge Puppy until you use it.

The lick program, I told you about, is the only Puppy installer that can run in Windows.

Quote:
I would prefer firefox or seamonkey. Is there a reason that PaleMoon is better?

Yes.
PaleMoon is a spin off of the people that worked on Firefox. They did not like the direction Firefox was going. Constantly wanting more powerful computers for it to work.
It is based on Firefox, but works better at keeping older computers supported.
If it did not say PaleMoon, you would think you where using Firefox.
I am using it to post this.
It works OK on everything I do on the Internet.

bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 18:25    Post subject:  

Linux Mint will run slow on that computer.
They do not care about supporting older computer hardware and their limitations.
Latest version of Linux Mint 18.3
System requirements:

2GB RAM.
15GB of disk space (20GB recommended).
1024×768 resolution

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 18:40    Post subject:  

Following up bigpup's post and your original wish-list: palemoon uses firefox addons and some of their own. Under the Tools Menu, select Addons. Click the box on the Right which reads "Mozilla Add-ons Site". Type "Lastpass" in the search box and you'll be offered Lastpass Password Manager. Click the button which reads, pointedly "Add to Firefox".

Idea While still running XP, export your firefox bookmarks to somewhere safe where you can find them later: to a USB-Key and if you only have one USB-Key to the Windows 8.1 computer for the time being. Later, Import them into Palemoon.

Alternatively, once you have a Puppy running, we'll tell you how to get either firefox or seamonkey.

By the way, the Asus 1000HE specs indicate it came with 1 Gb of RAM. So it shouldn't be 'all that slow' browsing the web. And there are tricks we can provide you with to make it as fast as possible. But, keep in mind, while you don't want to spend a lot of time 'haste makes waste'. Doing things right the first time saves a lot of time in the end; and --if I'm not mistaken-- as the Asus will be the computer your wife will use, can avoid a lot of hard-feelings and recriminations.

Take a deep breath and re-read bigpup's post. "Get Tahrpup running from the USB and I will tell you how to get Windows off the hard drive and only have Tahrpup on it."

Your Asus 1000HE only has a USB-port. A USB-Key will be the vehicle for you to install Tahrpup (or any Pup) to the Asus 1000HE. I have an old Asus 701sd which now runs Puppy, so I know from experience that using a Puppy from a USB-Key was the only way to get Puppy onto its "storage" drive.

Puppy includes all the tools you'll need either to run it from a USB-Key, to wipe your hard-drive and install it, or to dual boot Puppy and Windows.

Essentially, to only have Tahrpup (or any other Pup) on your hard drive, what you will be doing is the following:

1. Install Tahrpup to the USB-Key.
2. Plug that Key into the Asus 1000HE.
3. Boot the Asus 1000HE while pressing some Key (F12? Look at your display which tells you how to boot other than from the Hard-drive) so that you boot Tahrpup from the USB-Key.
4. Having booted into Tahrpup, start Menu>System>gparted partition manager. You'll use this to wipe your hard-drive. Doing that is unrecoverable. Which means you'll want to (a) have copied files (pictures, recipes, what-have-you) somewhere safe, and (b) that Tahrpup will run on your system without a problem. It should, but its better to know.
5. Copy some files from the USB-Key to the Asus's Hard-drive.
6. Run Menu>System>grub4dos boot loader, installing it to the hard-drive.
7. Reboot your Asus into your Tahrpup now on your hard-drive.

I haven't gone into the details of "4", "5" and "6". Time enough to provide them after you've posted that you successfully booted Tahrpup from your USB-Key and are ready to proceed. They aren't difficult or extensive. But you might want to print them, for place your Asus next to your other computer so you can read them as you are taking those steps.

mikesLr
DavidSpector

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 20:21    Post subject:    

bigpup and mikeslr,

Thank you for responding to my doubts. You sound sure and you have the experiences to know, so I'll trust you.

I will start on this tomorrow morning. I will have until about noon to work on this.

Thanks! I will back up anything needed from the old computer. If the Windows recovery partitions are untouched, I might even be able to restore Windows in case of disaster. I will also back up a flash drive so I can devote it to being a live Tahrpup in preparation for copying it to the hard drive.

The flash drive I'm thinking of using is already FAT32, so I/O should be fine.

David
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 20:56    Post subject:  

Hello, DavidSpector.

Trust me, bigpup and mikeslr are very experienced, and they just like helping people.....as do many of us. You can take what they say at face value.

Tahrpup is the obvious choice for that machine. It's based on the Ubuntu LTS release 'Trusty' Tahr, which was released in April 2014, and is supported until April 2019. Tahrpup has been around for long enough now that it is thoroughly 'sorted'. All the 'bugs' are long since banished, and it is extremely stable. Many of us here swear by it.

Puppy, like all Linux distros, has the advantage that it can 'read' Windows files, OOTB. Windows, on the other hand, doesn't even 'see' a Linux partition, much less be able to read it.....

As bigpup says, PaleMoon is the default, included browser. It's a 'clone' of FireFox, designed to work better with older, less powerful hardware.

All of the Ubuntu-based Puppies over the last few years are the preferred choice for many, since they have access to the enormous Ubuntu software repositories.....and are therefore very easy to install stuff to. They also tend to be that bit easier to use, since Ubuntu's 'parent' company, Canonical, have gone out of their way to make their 'distro' easy to use and to operate.

-------------------------------------------------

To get a Puppy on the hard drive, you do need to install it from a 'Live' Puppy. UNetbootin is a very good choice for this. It's easy-to-use (pretty much foolproof, in fact); you choose the ISO file, you select the USB drive to install it to, and hit 'OK'. UNetbootin will take care of everything else, including installing the bootloader to the flash drive so that it will start.

You just need to set the flashdrive as the one your computer should boot from. And doing it this way will let your machine and Tahrpup see if they 'like' each other, before you install it permanently. They should, since Intel hardware has always been 'Linux-friendly'.

Try this method first, and get Tahrpup running from the 'LiveUSB'. Puppy will surprise you with its speed, because it loads entirely into RAM, and runs from there for the duration of the session.....and RAM is always the fastest component of any computer.

Don't take any notice of the people who tell you that Linux is hard to use. It's a lot simpler than Windows; Puppy, especially, has been designed to be easy to use for newcomers, with loads of 'tooltips', and 'wizards' to help guide you through things.

----------------------------------------------------------------

As the other Mike says, once you can get Puppy running on your machine, we can very soon help you get it set-up the way you want it. FireFox may not be such a good choice, since, like all modern browsers, as the versions pass, they get larger, more complex, and 'hungrier' for memory. Give PaleMoon the benefit of the doubt, and at least give it a fair trial. You can install LastPass from the Mozilla add-ons site, although you may have to use a slightly older version, since Mozilla have given the entire 'add-ons' system a thorough shaking-up since the release of FireFox 57 'Quantum'. Current versions of most extensions/add-ons have been built to only work with FF57.

I've used Lastpass for some time, and swear by it.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 21:09; edited 2 times in total
Page 1 of 4 [57 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: