Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 17 Oct 2018, 23:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Having the correct default sound card
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
jimcraven

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 19:25    Post subject:  Having the correct default sound card
Subject description: Not getting sound might be due not having the correct default sound card.

Not getting sound might be due not having the correct default sound card.

I was having trouble getting the sound to work on my ASUS eeePC running Xenialpup 7.5 (32-bit). For the TL;DR folks, I found that puppy had chosen the PC Speaker as the default sound card instead of the Intel sound card. The fix was to modify /etc/asound.conf to point to the Intel sound card. See https://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Setting_the_default_device for instructions on "Setting the default device". Once the correct device is determined, you can set hw:x in Retrovol to open the control corresponding to that device.

The system having the problem was an ASUS eeePC running Xenialpup 7.5 (32-bit). I had two other systems that did have sound: the same ASUS eeePC running Xenialpup 7.0.6 / 4.1.2-EmSee-32-PAE by musher0 and a Thinkpad running Xenialpup 7.5 (64-bit).

After running a number of tests on all three configurations I saw a pattern. If I explicitly chose my Intel sound card in Xenialpup 7.5 (32-bit), I got sound. If I let it default by not specifying the sound card, I got no sound. It turns out the default sound card was the PC speaker. The other two systems were correctly defaulting to the Intel sound card. Changing the /etc/asound.conf file was the solution to the problem.

Code:

- (default) pcsp
0 HDA Intel         <-- this should be the default
1 pcsp  PC Speaker

defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.pcm.device 0
defaults.ctl.card 1

*** changed to ***

defaults.pcm.card 0 <--
defaults.pcm.device 0
defaults.ctl.card 0 <--

The attached file shows the comparisons of the configurations and the tests that I ran on all three systems. Hopefully this arsenal of sound tests will be useful to someone else.

Note: The ALSA "speaker-test" was looking for "Front Left" and "Front Right" .wav files that were not in my systems. I found that if I "reinstalled" alsa-utils, those .wav files appeared.

My problem raises the question about Puppy determining the correct sound card to be the default. If I use my bootable flash drive in a different computer, there is a chance /etc/asound.conf won't specify the correct sound card as the default.

alsa-base.conf contains this line that pushes pcsp (PC Speaker) to the end of the sound card order.
Code:

# Keep snd-pcsp from being loaded as first soundcard
options snd-pcsp index=-2

I wonder if there is a way to pick the sound card other than the PC Speaker or the HDMI card(s) as the default.

I hope this helps someone having the same problem I did.

jimcraven
sound eeePC vs Thinkpad.zip
Description 
zip

Download 
Filename  sound eeePC vs Thinkpad.zip 
Filesize  4.14 KB 
Downloaded  22 Time(s) 
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: