Lightweight X-based mp3 player?

Using applications, configuring, problems
mscdex

Lightweight X-based mp3 player?

#1 Post by mscdex »

I'm looking for an X-based mp3 player for my old Toshiba Satellite Pro 425CDS (Pentium 100MHz, 40MB RAM) that doesn't require a lot of system resources. XMMS makes the sound choppy and laggy. Gmplayer is still laggy/choppy but not nearly as bad as XMMS. Mplayer from a rxvt window in X plays just fine. But I was hoping to find something graphical if possible, or would that still use too many resources for this old laptop?

Thanks in advance 8)

darkerror05

#2 Post by darkerror05 »

try running gmplayer without JWM running. Just type in the console

Code: Select all

xwin gmplayer
You could also edit xinit to exclude rox-pinboard and use even less resources. That is the best way I can think of to minimalize reasources while still in X.
-darkerror

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

We used to have a bunch of small sound apps under the name "snack." They were pretty small and written in tcl. You can get them from Pupget still. I suggest giving it a run.

Otherwise you could probably find/write a small gui for mplayer or some other commandline mp3 player. Have the play button run the play command, etc. Just no sliding bars or anything.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

MU

#4 Post by MU »