Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Aug 2018, 17:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-720 and 721 Final [11 Jan 2018]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 22 [318 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 20, 21, 22 Next
jamesbond

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec 2017, 11:43    Post subject:  

[quote="mavrothal"]
jamesbond wrote:
It works fine. But you know the mac users Razz ... should be done automatically!
Lol Laughing
Quote:
I was actually wondering where should I put in FD a call to grep kernel messages for PowerBookPro and change the permissions of 99-disable-spurious-gpe. /sbin/init or is too early?
The correct place would in in /etc/rc.d/rc.platform (this is where we put that set-hidpi-font-size too --- it's the same place where I put your font-size-change script for OLPC in FatdogArm). But how early does the kernel spits out that message? Or is there any other way to get that info? (Using dmidecode, perhaps?) We don't want rc.platform goes into a loop waiting for that message.

Quote:
Maybe is a malformed package of mine but this one although has an entry in /var/log/packages does not show up nor I can remove it with slapt-get. The new one I made for 4.14.6 (just change module and up'ed version to 2) also does not show.
Ok, I will check. Did you use "makepkg" to build it?
mavrothal

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec 2017, 15:46    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
The correct place would in in /etc/rc.d/rc.platform

I tried to put in
Code:
[ "$(dmesg | grep -i macbookpro)" != "" ] && chmod 755 /etc/init.d/99-disable-spurious-gpe

(or grep directly /var/log/messages) but it would appear that is too early.

<Edit>: Hm... I guess rc.platform does not run in every boot. (Is it only in the first one?)
Putting the code just after the rc.platform call in rc.sysinit works fine.</Edit>

Quote:
Did you use "makepkg" to build it?

Yes

jamesbond

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec 2017, 20:48    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
<Edit>: Hm... I guess rc.platform does not run in every boot. (Is it only in the first one?)
Yes, indeed. rc.platform is supposed to perform "adjustments" for different platforms, which would be made permanent after you have a savefile/savedir; thus it only run once.
Quote:
Putting the code just after the rc.platform call in rc.sysinit works fine.</Edit>
If it works there, it would work in rc.platform too. I'll have it included in rc.platform.

Quote:
Quote:
Did you use "makepkg" to build it?

Yes
In short - the package naming convention is incorrect, see: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/pet-package.html (I just realised there is one mistake in that document - while Slackware packages don't support uninstall script, Fatdog packages do support uninstall script.
step

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec 2017, 02:55    Post subject:  

@mavrothal
fyi, quick package test commands after installpkg:
slapt-get --filelist PkgName
slapt-get --search PkgName (it's grepped, actually)
slapt-get --installed | grep ...

mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec 2017, 05:19    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
the package naming convention is incorrect, see: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/pet-package.html

Indeed.
The new one works fine installing and uninstalling.

don570

PostPosted: Sat 23 Dec 2017, 12:39    Post subject:  

SFR wrote:
Btw, check out mhWaveEdit, the labels should work now.

Great! Cool I downloaded the package
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/packages/720/mhwaveedit-1.4.23-x86_64-1.txz
and installed in fatdog710 and it worked in that version of fatdog as well.

PostPosted: Sat 23 Dec 2017, 22:49    Post subject: Re: Control Panel access and Savefile thought  

step wrote:

Update:
I found this post in the Contributed Packages thread:
* http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=835830#835830 An alternative menu system for Fatdog64-700 Control Panel

My bad. I installed that package without realizing it.

jamesbond wrote:

This is ideal but difficult to do in reality. If we could, we would have already implemented this as an automated "upgrade" process (like Puppy does) for old savefile. I remember having a discussion internally within the team about this, and the conclusion at that time was: it's too much error prone to be useful. Things may change, but for now, that's what it is.

Why is this difficult? Because it depends on various factors beyond our control: what you install (which may be a package from the repo, a package from contrib repo, your own "./configure && make && make install", also depends on what sort of data you keep, how you keep it ... and it also depends on things that we do control but difficult (or very tedious) to keep track - library versions, updated configuration files, updated scripts.

I appreciate the work, and the thought, of all of the above. I was thinking about personal, non-system data. I can generally figure things out, but if I don't have to reinvent the wheel, I am happy to copy someone else's wheel. FWIW, I guess that most users, new or otherwise, will not see this forum, or will only see it after a significant time using Fatdog64, and trying to accomplish whatever they want. Adding to the help files from the large store of knowledge contained here will help those new users, growing the user base, and perhaps leading to more pressure from more users like me who want so much, because Fatdog64 already does so much. Very Happy
Happy Christmas all!
step

PostPosted: Sun 24 Dec 2017, 04:00    Post subject: Re: Control Panel access and Savefile thought  

@drDan
Thank you, happy holidays to you too.
If you're interested in a menu-based control panel for 71x and 720 you could try https://github.com/step-/scripts-to-go/blob/master/gmenu2-fdcp/usr/bin/gmenu2-fdcp.
Click [Raw]; right-click and save page as /usr/bin/gmenu2-fdcp; set file gmenu2-fdcp executable; click icon to run. You may want to set a hotkey for it with sven.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 24 Dec 2017, 13:01    Post subject:  

I downloaded the iso, burned it to a DVD and tried to boot it. It got to where I suppose the desktop should have shown up, but instead, it booted all over again. I guess it would have kept it up indefinitely. Sad
kirk

PostPosted: Sun 24 Dec 2017, 21:34    Post subject:  

Quote:
I downloaded the iso, burned it to a DVD and tried to boot it. It got to where I suppose the desktop should have shown up, but instead, it booted all over again. I guess it would have kept it up indefinitely.

I hadn't tried a DVD for a while, so burned one. It works on my laptop. That said, check the md5sum and verify the burn. With a new kernel they fix things and break others, so kernel would be another guess. Other than that, That's all I can think of, I'll let the other guys chime in if they can think of anything else.

BUG ALERT: The Samba sever shares the Downloads folder read-only. This is due to spot not being a valid Samba user. See the third post of this thread for the solution,
kirk

PostPosted: Mon 25 Dec 2017, 00:59    Post subject:  

Flash,
If your md5sum checks out and the burn is verified, I've uploaded an ISO with kernel 4.12.13. It's here if you want to give it a go.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Mon 25 Dec 2017, 23:36    Post subject:  

@Flash - alternatively please boot with "pfix=xorgwizard". See if you can get as far to see the xorgwizard without getting the boot-loop. If you manage this far, choose the correct video driver for your system and see if you can get to desktop.
don570

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec 2017, 14:34    Post subject:  

I noticed something odd with fatdog 720, that I haven't seen before when using commands.

When using the 'ps' command or 'top' command to make a list of running
processes

Code:
root         1  2.6  0.7  51396  7644 ?        Ss   02:02   0:03 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd --switched-root --system --deserialize 23
root      1249  2.6  3.0 355800 30896 tty1     Rsl+ 02:02   0:02 /usr/bin/X -background none :0 vt01 -nolisten tcp
root       508  2.4  1.6 248488 16776 ?        Ss   02:02   0:03 /usr/bin/python /usr/sbin/firewalld --nofork

but with fatdog 720 just the name of the app running is given -- not the options or the file that is loaded.

I need this info!!

For instance when pmusic is launched,
it also launches ffmpeg -i /path/to/file

and this is normally shown in ps output.

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec 2017, 19:57    Post subject: No wifi  

I dd'd the iso to a usb flash stick. It booted perfectly BUT, like all the rest of the updates since the 710 release there is no detecting my wifi card on my Lenovo W510 laptop so this release is of no use to me
jamesbond

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec 2017, 00:51    Post subject:  

@don570:
Code:
ps -ef w
Should do the trick.

@Gordie: Please launch Control Panel -> Utilities -> (then scroll down) -> Bug Report Info Collector. Then pass the report to us.

EDIT: Gordie - the problem is probably missing firmware. Will post a package that contains some firmware for you to test.

EDIT2: I have uploaded an SFS that contains all the known firmware, as of today, here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/720/all-firmware-2017.12.sfs. You can get this from the SFS Manager too. You can use this with any kernel (Fatdog or Puppy) - provided that this is loaded at boot time.

Alternatively, you can download and click this SFS to view its contents and copy only the firmware that you need. Your wifi I think needs these: iwlwifi-9000-pu-a0-jf-b0-34.ucode, iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-34.ucode, and iwlwifi-9000-pu-a0-jf-a0-34.ucode. Copy these 3 files from the SFS above and put them under /lib/firmware. Then re-boot. See if you can see your wifi.

If that still doesn't work, please send me the output of Bug Report Info Collector.

Last edited by jamesbond on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 09:43; edited 2 times in total
Page 2 of 22 [318 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 20, 21, 22 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: