Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 14 Aug 2018, 15:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-720 and 721 Final [11 Jan 2018]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 22 [316 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 20, 21, 22 Next
stemsee

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec 2017, 06:04    Post subject:  

So trying to boot frugal from various filesystems results in this error as vmlinuz tries to load initrd
Code:
 error:couldn't find suitable memory target

My hardware is a lenovo flex15 pro i7 laptop. 1TB HDD, 16GB ram
jamesbond

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec 2017, 06:14    Post subject:  

stemsee wrote:
So trying to boot frugal from various filesystems results in this error as vmlinuz tries to load initrd
Code:
 error:couldn't find suitable memory target

That's a grub2 error code. How did you install grub2? Or perhaps, what version of grub2 did you install it?
I suspect it has something to do with this: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109891

Quote:
My hardware is a lenovo flex15 pro i7 laptop. 1TB HDD, 16GB ram
That should be more than enough to run Fatdog.
fatdog

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec 2017, 09:50    Post subject:  

Updated information about firmware in the second post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=977929#977929. Especially, we have uploaded an SFS that contains all the firmware known to the mainline Linux kernel.
ljward

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:14    Post subject: Suggestion, add virtio module loading to init in initrd  

Hey guys, thanks for the new release! I just wanted to suggest adding the loading of the virtio kernel modules inside the init script. I got FatDog720 running on FreeBSD inside a Bhyve virtual machine booting with UEFI using the VirtioIO drivers for networking and storage. Initially I was able to save the save file/folder to a virtual disk such as /dev/vda2, but when I reboot it does not detect the virtual disk because the init script inside the initrd does not load the virtio kernel modules so it failed to find my savefile. I added loading the virtio modules to the init script and rebuilt the initrd and now everything works fine and I am able to use my save file/folder stored on a virtual disk.
Sage

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:09    Post subject:  

Quote:
uploaded an SFS that contains all the firmware known to the mainline Linux kernel

SiS900 NIC? No panic, it's gonna take me a century or two to fathom a FULL installation which is central to my continuing use of FD64. Doubting I have the skills however, despite masses of advice from jb...
stemsee

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec 2017, 17:26    Post subject:  

I use a customised fatdog version of the rEFInd utility, which loads a grub.cfg and boots from there.
Worked with previous fatdog and everything else.

DD'ed the latest iso to a usb thumb drive. Booted from it to fatdog 'rEFInd', then same 'couldn't find suitable memory target' problem for every boot option except the last which nevertheless didn't get me to a desktop.

Tried various boot parameters to no avail!

Does it check ram size? Not expecting 16GBs ;-/ ??

Must be a bug in mergeinitrd.
Sage

PostPosted: Fri 29 Dec 2017, 08:02    Post subject:  

More about inaction of NIC drivers.
Tested a load of distros for NIC connection with interesting results:
Slacko 5.6 can see and wired-connect to my SiS900 and my ancient RTL8139C NICs. So can almost all other (non-Puppy) distros - even majors like Mint & Fedora.
Surprisingly, though, both of those NICs appear to be detected in Slacko 6.9.9.9, Pyro 0.6, XSlacko 4.4, using SNS and FD64 720 using ControlPanel/Network/Scanner.
None of the later will connect/wired however.
Why? What has changed? I am not doing anything differently this last decade, although my severely limited knowledge prevents knowing how to get these NICs to connect. The older NIC has been working with just about every installation since I stripped it from a turn-of-the-century discard - and still does, even on the latest SOTA kit!
kirk

PostPosted: Fri 29 Dec 2017, 14:17    Post subject:  

Sage,

Didn't you mention there was firmware missing for you wired NIC or am I thinking of someone else? If you know the file name for the firmware we can possibly add it. You can open a terminal and type dmesg. It will usually log an error about missing firmware.

You could also go to Control Panel -> Utilities -> (then scroll down) -> Bug Report Info Collector. Then attach the report for us to look at. You might have to change the extension of the file name to something the forum is happy with.
Sage

PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec 2017, 05:05    Post subject:  

Many thanks, kirk. I might've said something like that but getting well out of my ambit! Did a bunch of tests recommended by jb. The whole thing is confusing. Thought I did a dmesg at one time and might've told jb? or not?
The conundrum is simple, though: a year ago or so, all the puppies worked on SiS900/RTL8139C - now they don't, although the HW seems to register them in the NICs setup procedures, maybe not elsewhere? Unfortunately for me, the problems seem to reside in the hinterlands between HW/FW&SW - too difficult for me. Plenty of other distros working, so I'll have to wait for one of you gurus to fathom it out with some dusty kit lost behind the sideboard...
jake29

PostPosted: Sat 30 Dec 2017, 17:04    Post subject: error: Not enough memory to load specified image  

Out of curiosity, I tried the 720 final live-cd on a gaming PC I was setting up over Christmas. I got the following error during initrd loading:
Code:
Not enough memory to load specified image

H/W specs of gaming PC: Ryzen 1600, 16gb ddr4, gtx 1070.

I don't have access to this PC any more and do not expect a fix. Simply reporting my experience.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Sun 31 Dec 2017, 00:45    Post subject:  

jake29 - your problem seems similar to stemsee.
New hardware, new firmware - most probably UEFI.
Something has changed, requiring grub2 update.

Sage - my apology I've been busy, so progress is slow.

Meanwhile, Happy New Year everyone. See you in 2018.

Sage

PostPosted: Sun 31 Dec 2017, 07:47    Post subject:  

NIC issue resolved - advised to jb.
stemsee

PostPosted: Sun 31 Dec 2017, 10:07    Post subject:  

Replaced grubx64.efi (2013 > 2016) and grub2.efi and booted ok.
ha ha!

Having enabled BC-wl wlan0 is in wired pane on wpagui with no way to connect. Used Wifi-Scanner-2 (Ad) script only and voila! problem solved... Wink
xscreenshot-20171231T141253.png
 Description   
 Filesize   15.18 KB
 Viewed   513 Time(s)

xscreenshot-20171231T141253.png

jake29

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan 2018, 09:40    Post subject: The importance of Vulkan  

I would like to present some more perspective for those dismissive about the value of Vulkan Graphics Drivers. Some key features include:
Code:

(1) Reduced driver overhead, reducing CPU workloads.
(2) Reduced load on CPUs through the use of batching, leaving the CPU free to do more computation or rendering than otherwise.

These points suggest how beneficial it is when used with ageing CPUs, in comparison to alternative GPU drivers.

A cutting-edge graphics card is not a requirement for Vulkan API support; many cards (AMD and Nvidia) that came onto the market at the beginning of 2012 are compatible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)#Compatibility

Also Media Players can benefit from utilizing Vulkan. MPV Player already has some degree of support implemented.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MPV-Vulkan-Next-Better
rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan 2018, 09:50    Post subject:  

SneekyLinux review : https://youtu.be/PmmEimUovmo
Page 3 of 22 [316 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 20, 21, 22 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: