Firefox Quantum portable with apulse All-in

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
kuman11

#16 Post by kuman11 »

It worked right away, on the first click, with gtk3!

Many thanks mikeslr & fredx181 !

kuman11

#17 Post by kuman11 »

Today, after rebooting & running Firefox w/o a save file, somehow I couldn't unmount sda1. Got this -
"Error umounting volume sda1: Script exited with exitcode 1
Output:
umount: can't umount /mnt/sda1: Device or resource busy"

It's possible it's from gtk3 file or else?

fredx181

#18 Post by fredx181 »

kuman11 wrote:Today, after rebooting & running Firefox w/o a save file, somehow I couldn't unmount sda1. Got this -
"Error umounting volume sda1: Script exited with exitcode 1
Output:
umount: can't umount /mnt/sda1: Device or resource busy"

It's possible it's from gtk3 file or else?
If the gtk3 sfs is loaded and located on sda1, yes, then sda1 can't be unmounted, that's normal, I guess.

Fred

kuman11

#19 Post by kuman11 »

Apparently it's s/t linked to plugging in of the stick.

Another issue, when I created a shortcut of the 'ff' file on the D/top it couldn't start Firefox ... Any clues?

fredx181

#20 Post by fredx181 »

Hi kuman11,
Another issue, when I created a shortcut of the 'ff' file on the D/top it couldn't start Firefox ... Any clues?
A symlink, I guess ?
Yes, then it changes directory to ~/Desktop and can't find the files in the firefox folder.
Changing the first line in the script to: LAUNCHDIR="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")" will fix that, so open "ff" with texteditor and make it:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# LAUNCHDIR="$(cd "$(dirname "$0")"; pwd)"   # old
LAUNCHDIR="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"   # new
mkdir "$LAUNCHDIR/profile" 2> /dev/null
"$LAUNCHDIR/apulse" "$LAUNCHDIR/firefox" "$@" -profile "$LAUNCHDIR/profile"
EDIT: Works for me with symlink on Desktop, not sure though if it works on all systems.

Fred

kuman11

#21 Post by kuman11 »

After a reboot in RAM I copied the FFox32 folder back to /root and gtk+3-3.8.2 seems gone from it even though it's in it b4 the crash ... Very wicked!
Then couldn't install it from PPM ...

A detail, I'd unplugged the stick after the reboot.

lost3.1

#22 Post by lost3.1 »

wrong place
[else Y if-false Y]

Mike Walsh

#23 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, Fred.

Thanks for this portable Quantum. I'm not normally a Firefox man as you doubtless know by now, but I have to admit to recovering some of the respect for Firefox that I lost many years ago. This Quantum is almost identical to Chrome in behaviour, etc; not sure whether that's a good thing, or bad... :lol:

Currently running at 59.02 in Slacko 5.7.0. Extracted in Downloads, then the resulting 'firefox32' directory placed in /opt (my favourite 'catch-all' for everything, really). I already had gtk-3.0 installed from a previous exploit, so didn't need that.

Built a .desktop entry for Quantum in /usr/share/applications (pointing to /opt/firefox32/ff), stuck an appropriate icon in /usr/share/pixmaps, ran 'fixmenus', restarted 'X'.....and she fired straight up, good as gold.

Thanks again. Cheers!

Mike. :wink:

fredx181

#24 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Mike, good to know it has your approval, I know indeed you're a "Chrome man" :wink:

Fred

Mike Walsh

#25 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Fred:-

Actually, now I think about it, I thought I may as well also make available the GTK3 'upgrade' I used for 570. It was in fact a .pet package put together (so I believe) originally for Precise 571. I forget the thread where I acquired it, but I do remember credit should go to perdido for giving me the link to it.

It's not as comprehensive, new, or large as your X-Slacko GTK3 SFS; probably because the 'buntu-based Pups tend to have quite a bit of this stuff included as standard. As I'm sure you're well aware, with Slackware being so much more conservative with what they include in the OS, you often need to track down everything including the 'Out house sink' in order to get many things working.

However, this Precise package was good enough to get things working for me in 570 back when FireFox first moved to GTK3. Which being the case, it can't hurt to make this also available for download; 'choice in all things' being my motto!

For anybody who'd like to make use of it, you can find it here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/z9p65cgf9 ... recise.pet

Mike Walsh

#26 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, Fred.

Just FYI, I've turned this into a .pet, complete with the created /profile directory, a .desktop entry and icon (made for a whopping big package, admittedly), and installed it into Precise 571. Fired straight up, with everything set-up ready. Ace!

Thanks again.

(EDIT:-) ....and ditto Slacko 560. Nice one.

(EDIT_2:-) ....and ETP's 'Chromebook Pup' (based on 571). Excellent!

fredx181

#27 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks Mike !!
I've added a link (last EDIT) to first post, pointing to your gtk3 precise pet post.

Fred

kuman11

crashing tabs

#28 Post by kuman11 »

fred, I have the latest Firefox installed though my tabs keep crashing on some sites, Do u have some idea what could the reason be?

fredx181

Re: crashing tabs

#29 Post by fredx181 »

kuman11 wrote:fred, I have the latest Firefox installed though my tabs keep crashing on some sites, Do u have some idea what could the reason be?
No idea yet. I use this Firefox all the time and didn't experience something like that.
Can you give one or more url address of the sites when this happens ? So I can test that?

Fred

dancytron

#30 Post by dancytron »

kuman11 wrote:fred, I have the latest Firefox installed though my tabs keep crashing on some sites, Do u have some idea what could the reason be?
How much RAM do you have? How about swap or zram?

Some websites just suck down RAM and will cause firefox (or Chrome) to freeze. Is that what is happening?

kuman11

#31 Post by kuman11 »

dancytron wrote:

Some websites just suck down RAM and will cause firefox (or Chrome) to freeze. Is that what is happening?
It's 1.5 G, don't have swap now.
Yep, it slows down at first then I get the message, 'tab crashed'. More often it can't recover it. Mostly SM sites.

dancytron

#32 Post by dancytron »

kuman11 wrote:
dancytron wrote:

It's 1.5 G, don't have swap now.
Yep, it slows down at first then I get the message, 'tab crashed'. More often it can't recover it. Mostly SM sites.
SM, you mean like facebook and twitter?

I bet you are just running out of RAM. So you run an adblocker. If not, ublock origin will block at least some of the crap.

You are in Debian Dog?? Create a swap partition for sure. Might try some zram too.

Even with 3 Gig of RAM, swap and zram, sometimes a page will just start sucking down the RAM and crash. Bad webpages are just the way it is sometimes.

fredx181

#33 Post by fredx181 »

Upgraded to version 59.02 now, updated download links at first post.

Fred

rufwoof

#34 Post by rufwoof »

Working fine in a EasyOS Pyro 64 container running as rover (restricted userid) with a knackered root userid (useless if escaped to). Even if sandbox level 3 set sound (youtubes etc.) is still heard fine.

kuman11

SM

#35 Post by kuman11 »

'No idea yet. I use this Firefox all the time and didn't experience something like that.'

fred, mainly Social media sites, Twitter, FB.
I guess Dancytron suggested the cause, I observe the same symptoms.