Firefox Quantum portable with apulse All-in

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
kuman11

Re: crashing tabs

#31 Post by kuman11 »

dancytron wrote:
kuman11 wrote:fred, I have the latest Firefox installed though my tabs keep crashing on some sites, Do u have some idea what could the reason be?
How much RAM do you have? How about swap or zram?

Some websites just suck down RAM and will cause firefox (or Chrome) to freeze. Is that what is happening?
It's 1.5 G, don't have swap now.
Yep, it slows down at first then I get the message, 'tab crashed'. More often it can't recover it. Mostly SM sites.

dancytron

Re: crashing tabs

#32 Post by dancytron »

kuman11 wrote:
dancytron wrote:
kuman11 wrote:fred, I have the latest Firefox installed though my tabs keep crashing on some sites, Do u have some idea what could the reason be?
How much RAM do you have? How about swap or zram?

Some websites just suck down RAM and will cause firefox (or Chrome) to freeze. Is that what is happening?
Yep, it slows down at first then I get the message, 'tab crashed'. More often it can't recover it. Mostly SM sites.
SM, you mean like facebook and twitter?

I bet you are just running out of RAM. So you run an adblocker. If not, ublock origin will block at least some of the crap.

You are in Debian Dog?? Create a swap partition for sure. Might try some zram too.

Even with 3 Gig of RAM, swap and zram, sometimes a page will just start sucking down the RAM and crash. Bad webpages are just the way it is sometimes.

fredx181

#33 Post by fredx181 »

Upgraded to version 59.02 now, updated download links at first post.

Fred

rufwoof

#34 Post by rufwoof »

Working fine in a EasyOS Pyro 64 container running as rover (restricted userid) with a knackered root userid (useless if escaped to). Even if sandbox level 3 set sound (youtubes etc.) is still heard fine.

kuman11

SM

#35 Post by kuman11 »

'No idea yet. I use this Firefox all the time and didn't experience something like that.'

fred, mainly Social media sites, Twitter, FB.
I guess Dancytron suggested the cause, I observe the same symptoms.

kuman11

#36 Post by kuman11 »

'You are in Debian Dog??'

dancytron,
now I use X-Slacko Slim 4.4, run in RAM.

Thanks

fredx181

#37 Post by fredx181 »

kuman11 wrote:'No idea yet. I use this Firefox all the time and didn't experience something like that.'

fred, mainly Social media sites, Twitter, FB.
I guess Dancytron suggested the cause, I observe the same symptoms.
Yes, probably the cause is as dancytron says, these modern browsers use a lot of RAM, 1.5 G is not much, so you need a swap partiition or a swap file. (zram may help also, don't know much about it)
Then when loading much "heavy" tabs, it will probably run slow, but when using enough swap, crashing can be avoided, I guess.

Fred

kuman11

#38 Post by kuman11 »

Yes, probably the cause is as dancytron says, these modern browsers use a lot of RAM, 1.5 G is not much, so you need a swap partiition or a swap file. (zram may help also, don't know much about it)
Then when loading much "heavy" tabs, it will probably run slow, but when using enough swap, crashing can be avoided, I guess.

Fred[/quote]

I created a pupswap file on the usb stick. Can I copy it in /root to use it while running in RAM?

I'm not so clear about it ...

fredx181

#39 Post by fredx181 »

kuman11 wrote:I created a pupswap file on the usb stick. Can I copy it in /root to use it while running in RAM?

I'm not so clear about it ...
I can't answer at the moment, sorry, maybe someone else can.
Or perhaps better create new thread to ask about it in Users section.

Fred

fredx181

#40 Post by fredx181 »

Updated to version 60.0.1, download links at first post.

I didn't change the security.sandbox settings, because this still seems to work fine for me:
Content of the file "ff4lxpup.cfg" (32-bit, for 64-bit the value 54 must be 16)

Code: Select all

defaultPref("security.sandbox.content.level", 2);  // set new default value
defaultPref("security.sandbox.content.write_path_whitelist", "/dev/snd/");
defaultPref("security.sandbox.content.syscall_whitelist", "54");
defaultPref("security.sandbox.content.read_path_whitelist", "/dev/snd/");
But any suggestions are welcome !

EDIT: Just noticed This Post, did some testing and it appears there's no special setting required anymore in "about:config" for sound to work.
So re-uploaded without any preconfiguration, new download links at first post.
Thanks OscarTalks !

Fred

clerk_gabel

#41 Post by clerk_gabel »

Just to confirm a full working Firefox Quantum install on Slacko 6.2.3 after following the given directions.The nice shortcut pet also works.
With gtk+3 downloaded from a Slackware repository (gtk+3-3.4.4.i486-1.txz) and installed with pkgtool widgets are not that polished as in other installments of Firefox (tabs are square). On the other hand Firefox immediately after install / setup updated itself to Firefox Quantum 61.0.2

EDIT: the autoupdate to 61.0.2 broke my sound.After reverting to 60.0.1 and disabeling autoupdate initially again there was no sound, where installing apulse library from

https://altlinux.pkgs.org/sisyphus/clas ... 6.rpm.html

with the puppy package manager solved the sound problem on my system.I am satisfied and do not dare to enable autoupdate again.

EDIT-2: I took the chance and allowed autoupdate. With the apulse library installed sound works on Firefox Quantum 61.0.2
Flash downloaded as .txz from

http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbu ... /pkg/14.0/

and installed with pkgtool also seem to work

Mike Walsh

#42 Post by Mike Walsh »

Fred, I've got a challenge for you.

Figure out for me why I'm having problems getting FF-Quantum-portable to run in Racy 5.5, can you?

Normally, I would say it's because of the ancient glibc. I, however, have battleshooter's 'glibc-220' upgrade he put together for Carolina/Racy so folks could run Chrome, so I run the last 32-bit Linux Chrome, version 48.0.2564.116.

I've got the 'Wheezy' libdbus in /lib so Quantum sees it before the 'system' version in /usr/lib.....so it's not that.

I'm coming unstuck with libgtk3. I'm using the Precise .pet for libgtk3 I provided links to; research shows it's the same version as in Wheezy. The error I get in the terminal is as follows:-

# /opt/firefox32/ff
/opt/firefox32/firefox: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgtk-3.so.0: undefined symbol: g_static_resource_init
#
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not because of a compiling conflict with different versions of the glibc? I keep trying, but it's driving me nuts, this one. I even modified one of watchdog's older FF-Esr packages with its own self-contained version of the glibc (in this case, glibc 219).....but the same error crops up every time.

Any ideas? (*pretty please? - bats eyelashes*) :lol: :lol:

Mike. :wink:

fredx181

#43 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Mike,

I think I'll skip this challenge :wink: , sorry !

Probably Racy is too old to work with gtk3, also Precise has newer glibc than Racy, so that could be very well the problem if installed the Precise gtk3 pet on Racy.
(but just guessing, didn't test anything)

EDIT:
I, however, have battleshooter's 'glibc-220'
Mmm.. didn't read well earlier, so on your Racy what's the output of:

ldd --version
Fred

Mike Walsh

#44 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Fred.

I can't say as I blame you one little bit for wanting to give this one a miss..! :lol:

Since I'm tarting-up Racy's desktop ATM, here ya go:-

# ldd --version
ldd (GNU libc) 2.20
Copyright (C) 2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Written by Roland McGrath and Ulrich Drepper.
# 

Mike Walsh

#45 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, Fred.

Just wanted to say that your 'Quantum-portable' is more useful than I could have imagined.

I'm posting this from AntiX 16.1 'Berta Cacéres'. Stuck the entire 'firefox32' directory inside /home/Mike, chowned permissions to Mike:Mike, dragged 'ff' to the desktop, tarted it up with an icon, and.....Bingo.

These 'portables' are definitely the way to go! (Of course, it helps that AntiX uses ROX as the default filemanager; helps a lot. It was one of the things that drew me to it.....opening a pair of /root windows with 'sudo rox' means it's as simple to work on as Puppy. Being 'systemd-free' was just a bonus.)

fredx181

#46 Post by fredx181 »

*** Update to version 63.0.3 ***

Looks like I made a (big) mistake in previous versions. :oops:
Without realizing I had the apulse libs installed in my system (/usr/lib/apulse) and the apulse script included in the portable pointed to that.
Tested without apulse installed recently and the sound didn't work for me (when running the portable).

Big mystery for me, BTW, that there were earlier reports about sound working properly.

Oh well.. changed the portable setup now (includes "apulse" directory) and sound should work ok now.

Download links replaced at first post.

Fred

Mike Walsh

#47 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Fred:-

Interesting, this.

I've used this 'portable-ff' of yours ever since you first uploaded it, right? It's updated itself all the way through to the current 63.0.3 (which occurred this morning.)

I've never touched it. I've always allowed it do its own thing.....without any interference from yours truly. The only thing I've done to it was to import bookmarks from an HTML file when I first started using it, plus installing my usual extensions...

This same 'install' of 'Quantum-portable' is actually in a remote partition, sym-linked into most of my Pups (so that way, they're all 'singing from the same hymn-sheet', as it were.....and using the exact same profile). Looking at the 'firefox32' directory just now, I find that the very same libs that you've put in the 'apulse' directory are in fact in the main directory itself.....but I didn't put them there!

So; where d'you suppose they came from? :?

fredx181

#48 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Mike,

Okay... a bit confusing, I'll try to explain:

In the old setup, indeed, the "pulse" libs were in the main directory.
But in the "apulse" script :

APULSEPATH="/usr/lib/apulse"

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$APULSEPATH${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH} exec "$@"
Which means that it's looking in /usr/lib/apulse (also it means: not portable)
If you have these libs in /usr/lib/apulse/, then sound probably works, otherwise not because these are not found.
(I earlier thought that these libs were automatically found in the main directory, but apparently not)

The change in the new setup is that in the "ff" script the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set (pointing to the ./apulse directory).
(so I moved these libs from the main directory to the apulse directory)

So the question is: If you did have sound with the old setup, did you have the pulse libs in /usr/lib/apulse ?
If so (sound works) and the libs in /usr/lib/apulse not existing, then it's still a big mystery for me.

Please (anyone?) help me out, I don't like mysteries :cry: (who does? :wink: )

Fred

Mike Walsh

#49 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, Fred.

Mm. Okay....

Turns out I have in fact got all those pulse libs in /usr/lib. I tried so many variations on the 'apulse' theme when Mozilla first started all this business, and I'm pretty certain I didn't delete one lot before trying another.....so I have a whole 'collection' of various apulse libs now!

Now, then; what would be the easiest way to 'migrate' to the new set-up, without needing to completely re-do my profile (which would take ages)? Can I simply move the 'profile' directory to the new version, then run like that? Would that work?

Mike Walsh

#50 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Fred:-

Answered my own question. Transferred my 'profile' directory across to the new version, and fired it up from the 'ff' script. Of course, being portable, it literally will run from anywhere, won't it? I performed this experiment from a USB stick.

Radiotunes works (my main source of 'toons', day-to-day....and this site is FUSSY, believe me - if Flash and Pulse aren't just 'so', it doesn't want to know); NetFlix, too. Extensions & bookmarks (thousands of 'em!) - all present & correct. Yah; that'll do me, Fred. I'm happy with that. Excellent work, mate. Nice one.

So; I've replaced the common, 'remote' firefox32 directory with the new set-up. Job's a 'good'un'.

Cheers.