Brave browser - in 'portable' format

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

Brave browser - in 'portable' format

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, guys'n'gals.

I know I posted about a 'portable' version of the Brave browser a while back, but it was buried away in another thread. So, for the new version - v1.9.68, released just 2 days ago - I'm going to give it its own thread from now on.

Same procedure as all the other portable browsers, kids. Download the tarball, and unzip it. Place the 'portable' directory anywhere you want.....preferably, outside of your 'save'. Click to open, click on 'LAUNCH' to fire it up. It's running with the '--no-sandbox' parameter, so I'm afraid you get an 'infobar' across the top to that effect.

PepperFlash is included, along with its manual update mechanism. I know it's on the way out, but we're stuck with it till the end of the year, and of course, many webmasters will cling on to it till the bitter end, so.....it's there if you need it.

Widevine is also included, so any DRM-regulated content - NetFlix, Hulu, Spotify, etc - will function OOTB. This was 'borrowed' from the current Chrome.

------------------------------

Download from here:-

Brave-portable

MD5 checksum - ffab887cac10c0f724a96649621d988a

Enjoy!

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 17 May 2020, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

bullpup

'Test'

#2 Post by bullpup »

Just a couple of hours ago I started Brave portable. Configured the settings, imported bookmarks and preferences from both Chromium and a HTML file, set the dark theme, all went about with 0 errors and frustration. So, that works :)

Tor private windows works, YouTube works as it should in Brave, no audio problems.

I can't tell you how happy I am about this! Brave is by FAR my favorite browser EVER and the only thing that sort of put me off to go Puppy Linux only was the lack of Brave.

Have to say though, I feel this portable (Puppy, I get that) is even faster and snappier than the "official" one. Feels more stable too.

Highly recommendable. Awesome, awesome job!! One very happy costumer here ;)
Will keep you posted on whatever may or may not occur whilst using Brave :)

EDIT:
Would it be ok if I'd put the download link in my signature? You know, for promotional purposes. I love this thing.

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ bullpup:-

Glad you like it! :)
bullpup wrote:Would it be ok if I'd put the download link in my signature? You know, for promotional purposes. I love this thing.
No probs. Whatever 'floats your boat'. :D

-------------------------------------------------------

Nah, it wasn't originally my idea, although it had been rattling around in the back of my skull for ages.....especially a portable version of Chrome.

Fredx181 started the ball rolling a year or so back, when he produced the first of the Puppy portables.....portable Quantum. And Fred himself admits it's not a new idea; the scripts that make it work have been kicking around the web for years anyway.

I was that taken by the idea that I started with a portable version of PaleMoon, followed in rapid succession by the ESR release of FF, SeaMonkey, and various 'tweaked' versions with a self-contained, newer glibc, so older Puppies could run up-to-date browsers (credits to watchdog for getting this concept working easily). And after that, I turned my attention to the Chromium-based 'clones'.....which proved a little bit more challenging, until Fred did some digging for me & came up with various Chromium command-line 'switches' that made a lot of it possible.

In rapid succession came portables of Opera, Iron, Chrome itself, Brave & Vivaldi.....even the Russian-developed Yandex. Yah, I went a bit mad with 'em! But to my mind, the whole concept of the portable browser fits Puppy like a glove; they seem to have been well-accepted by the community, anyway. And these things can even be run from a flash-drive, so.....truly 'portable'.

We've gone as far as to install modern browsers into 'jailed', chroot environments so that even ancient 3- and 4-series Pups can use 'em..... This community is full of ideas, and even though I make use of a lot of them, I refuse to take credit for what is not my work. Credit where credit's due, I say.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 17 May 2020, 20:22, edited 3 times in total.

dancytron

#4 Post by dancytron »

Downloaded it to Debian Dog Stretch and I am posting from it now.

Both the LAUNCH script and the brave-pup script reference "run-as-spot" which Debian Dog doesn't have. Simply deleting that fixed it and it runs as root (with the classic Chrome warning not to do that). You could also probably fix it by changing "spot" to "user" and running it with Fred's "run-as-user" script.

Maybe an alternate launch script for non-puppy distro's?