Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
anikin

Google must be regulated

#1 Post by anikin »

Tucker: Google must be regulated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyGfOgxii8Q

perdido

#2 Post by perdido »

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Google is a virus on society. Europe has kind of woke up to that but only because they smell $$$
Maybe USA will do the anti-trust thing ala AT&T.
Amazon needs to be broken up too.

I don't use any google stuff except the damn phone with everything disabled.
Freaking creepy bastards = google.

belham2

#3 Post by belham2 »

perdido wrote:All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Google is a virus on society. Europe has kind of woke up to that but only because they smell $$$
Maybe USA will do the anti-trust thing ala AT&T.
Amazon needs to be broken up too.

I don't use any google stuff except the damn phone with everything disabled.
Freaking creepy bastards = google.

What if you are a person who bought a little Google stock at their IPO long ago, and that simple act has ended up providing for a retirement for your family and putting your kids through college? Believe it or not, their number are not few. In fact, it is quite decent sized. Are they (anyone associated with Google, employees included) still "evil" and needed to be "regulated"? My experience in life is that those on the outside of some said "boat" tend to think, when they see that boat on the high seas as it sails around the ocean over time, that it is the largest boat they've ever seen & therefore must only be populated, or sailed, by villianous, child-eating, blood-drinking pirates. With humans, perspective is a funny thing in this world. Since I'm still swimming in the ocean, and don't even have a life-raft, I want full-on Schadenfreude to happen to what must be those menacing, malformed inter-bred pirates. Come on, Moby Dick, rise out of the depths & bash them rich, greedy sailors to the bottom of the ocean :lol:

Burn_IT

#4 Post by Burn_IT »

It is not the size that is causing the problem, it is the USE of that size in "bully boy" tactics that is being questioned.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

B.K. Johnson

#5 Post by B.K. Johnson »

[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

anikin

#6 Post by anikin »

Here's some more on the subject:

Tucker: Tech companies making us less tolerant, free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WfDXTLIJ5I

Steyn: Tech giants imposing idealogical straightjackets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNX35JrfyVw

Judge Napolitano: Censorship is a very dangerous business
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKdfT2cgOg4

belham2

#7 Post by belham2 »

What's scary about reading the replies here, and stuff pointed out as dangerous malfeasence on the part of Google, is the complete lack of subjectivity. Are any of you here old enough to remember Ma Bell, what happened in the 70s and early 80s, the things that were said that were happening about technology being concentrated at Bell, about all American(s) and America's privacy being threatened, monitored and invaded by Bell's policies at the time? Is there any perspective here? Don't flatter yourself and think that "this time is different". Because it is not. Emphatically it is not. The idiocy of the breaking up Bell came back to haunt everyone who was involved with it. Even everyone on Wall Street, who was involved with it (and gleefully raking in hundreds of millions on the breakup) shook their head at the collective stupidity that was being displayed. And it was being displayed because each and every person felt they understand exactly what was wrong, what needed to be done, and when it should be done. It is no different now. Google is the new Ma Bell. It is the new U.S Steel. It is the new (fill in the blanks here).

What none of you (other than Slavvo here on murga, because I know he has a similar background and possibly appreciation) can appreciate is the things the come out of left field (like Google did), create incredible but temporary (key word: temporary) empires, then succumb to the exact same out-of-left-field occurrence. You, myself, and/or no one else can put a time stamp on it. You and/or no one else can place your moral view on this time frame either. It just screams of the lack of "perspective" here.

Honestly, it is just stupefying to watch this on display. The absolute assurance that some have the belief they know what is best, that their right & wrong is the "only" type of right & wrong that exists in the world, and their attempt to lay claim to that and demand that it change another entity. And they seek others out with similar views in efforts to re-assure themselves they hold the correct view.

Listen: Google arose. It has arisen. It is a giant now. But it is not our place to seek some sort of misguided, or rather, mis-perceived, sense of right & wrong on them. Somebody and something is out-in-left-field right now, and it is coming , whether like a freight train or not, is not our jurisprudence to decide upon. It comes when the time is right, and it could even be barreling its way right now. Don't think or let yourself believe either that you, I and/or anyone else have a sense that our view of "time" is correct, therefore rip Google apart, slay it for something our imposed moral view believes 100%, not 99.99999%, but 100% correct.

Come on, people, as I grew older I was directly involved in the Ma Bell thing, and saw (even from my own thoughts & actions at the time) the incredible stupidity we all displayed during that period. Sh!t, we accomplished nothing, and the rhetoric then was even louder then than it is today about this new dangerously invasive "info" company called Google. Not even one of the Baby Bell breakups truly survived as a relevant force other than Verizon. and VZ have made it their business that past few decades trying to re-buy up all the old broken up (and renamed) Baby Bells in some misguided effort to become like the old Ma Bell. Time is crushing VZ. The new wireless players are slowly crushing them, and as soon as more of the free countrywide wifi keeps increasing in its technology and in its footprint, VZ will be gone. Google too, as other players emerge, will face pressure it never saw coming from technologies that are right now racing down the track toward us. Do yourself a favor, pick up the text (or Kindle it) the book "The Information", by James Gleick", and get a glimpse that we haven't even seen the a tiny prick of what is coming down the pike in terms of an information revolution. There's a reason it is considered one of the top 20 books of the past 5 years. What it profoundly leaves you with is this: our children will one day, possibly soon, speak of Google the same way I did of Ma Bell & what happen to it as I spoke to my father and mother when they were old but yet supposedly lived in that "dangerous" Ma Bell time. It was something that was wrong and a complete joke/farce.

In essence, it is not your and/or my job to stand and think we have absolute knowing to say what should happen to a company that came out of left field. You can debate this all you want, but history has proven this approach wrong so many times, in so many different cultures & countries with different types of economies, that it isn't even funny.

Sorry for the long response, but sometimes we need to save ourselves from ourselves. This is one of them..... :?

jd7654

#8 Post by jd7654 »

I wouldn't say that Google is evil, but they definitely have bias. And if they abuse their power to impose that bias in a negative way, they deserve to get slapped.

I haven't heard anyone seriously calling for a breakup of Google, that is quite extreme, but some regulation or perhaps lawsuits and rulings may be needed. Think of what would've happened many years back if Microsoft in its heyday would have been allowed to exert its monopoly control over PCs and OEMs. Would we even have Google and Linux now? Hmmm...

Unfortunately, for many of these big socio-economic changes, the problem is we don't have a time machine. So you're only dealing with a sample size of one. You can't rewind the clock and see what would've happened if you didn't take any action.

Moose On The Loose

#9 Post by Moose On The Loose »

jd7654 wrote:I wouldn't say that Google is evil, but they definitely have bias. And if they abuse their power to impose that bias in a negative way, they deserve to get slapped.
Some may remember that I have said before:
Good intentions plus stupidity looks just like evil.

Part of the problem is that companies have an IQ. As with all quotients, something must appear in the denominator. With companies, it tends to be the number of people in management positions. The problem of the left hand not knowing want the right hand is doing gets bigger when you add more hands.

https://www.ixquick.com/

https://duckduckgo.com/

perdido

#10 Post by perdido »

Moose On The Loose wrote:
jd7654 wrote:I wouldn't say that Google is evil, but they definitely have bias. And if they abuse their power to impose that bias in a negative way, they deserve to get slapped.
Some may remember that I have said before:
Good intentions plus stupidity looks just like evil.
/
Though the percieved intentions may not be those which google initially intends to persue, in the end,
google will sell its services / information to whoever is willing to buy - whether the original intent
involved that or not.Google can and will change its user terms of service to support the whims of the market
(read that "when opportunity knocks") . Anyone that logs into google services becomes part of the
"google herd:, waiting to get milked.
--------------------
How to find out exactly what Google knows about you

First, you'll need to be signed into your Gmail or Google account.

Once you've done that, type "history.google.com/history" into your web browser.

You'll be taken to a hub which contains your entire digital footprint, so be careful, it could make for some grim reading.

This includes Maps searches and YouTube videos you've watched.

Click on "Activity Controls "on the left-hand side of the page.

Under "Web and App Activity", click "Manage Activity".

If Google's keeping tabs on you, there should be a stream of web pages and map searches that show up in chronological order.

You can randomly delete searches, or select all the searches to make them disappear.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/4295350/d ... every-day/

Sylvander

#11 Post by Sylvander »

perdido wrote:You'll be taken to a hub which contains your entire digital footprint...
I have neither a Gmail nor a Google account, and I normally shutdown/reboot without saving any session changes to my pupsave file [no new cookies content saved]...
So would I have no "digital footprint"?

perdido

#12 Post by perdido »

Sylvander wrote:
perdido wrote:You'll be taken to a hub which contains your entire digital footprint...
I have neither a Gmail nor a Google account, and I normally shutdown/reboot without saving any session changes to my pupsave file [no new cookies content saved]...
So would I have no "digital footprint"?
Hi Sylvander,

I would suppose you have no digital footprint related to an email address or profile or account that google could use to throw
targeted ads at you. They should not know much about you except what the google web crawlers have found and archived.

If you have used google for searching - though not being logged into google, google will collect details of the search and any
metadata such as IP, browser, operating system, etc. and will extract and use information they can apply to marketing analysis.

Google not being regulated means they can scrape all the web content in the world and use that information any way they see fit.
By not having a google account of any kind means you are limiting your usefullness to google & associates.You are not one of the herd :)

This is all conjecture on my part of course. For all I know, google may have figured a way to connect all the dots and know
everything about anybody that uses the internet or an android phone.

Sylvander

#13 Post by Sylvander »

perdido wrote:For all I know, google may have figured a way to connect all the dots and know everything about anybody that uses the internet...
I suspect this is the case. :(

perdido

#14 Post by perdido »

Google spends more money on lobbying the government than any other company in its quest to not be regulated in any way, shape or form.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... c-politics

Google shutting down its critics.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... stop-them/

Moose On The Loose

#15 Post by Moose On The Loose »

perdido wrote:Google spends more money on lobbying the government than any other company in its quest to not be regulated in any way, shape or form.

These guys

and duckduckgo are competitors to google.

For a long time I have been saying that the era of the nation state is coming to an end and will be replaced with corporate states that are not tied to a physical location. Conglomerates are what is replacing empires. Armies are being replaced by "private security" and other mercenary forces. Democracies may hold the trend back for a while but I don't expect them to be able to keep enough of a focus to resist forever. Corporations are nearly perfect tyrannies and when is comes to singular purpose nothing beats a tyranny. The kings of old and their knights would not have seen our world coming.

belham2

#16 Post by belham2 »

Moose On The Loose wrote:
perdido wrote:Google spends more money on lobbying the government than any other company in its quest to not be regulated in any way, shape or form.

These guys

and duckduckgo are competitors to google.

For a long time I have been saying that the era of the nation state is coming to an end and will be replaced with corporate states that are not tied to a physical location. Conglomerates are what is replacing empires. Armies are being replaced by "private security" and other mercenary forces. Democracies may hold the trend back for a while but I don't expect them to be able to keep enough of a focus to resist forever. Corporations are nearly perfect tyrannies and when is comes to singular purpose nothing beats a tyranny. The kings of old and their knights would not have seen our world coming.

Hey Moose,

Are you related to Paul Ehrlick, lol? For those that don't know who he is, go---pun intended--Google it. Nearly 23 years ago, the Nation-State was considered "dead", finished, by a majority of academics and casual observers like yourself. Yet, weirdly, here we are 23 yrs later, and the nation-states still rule not 99.999% of the world's landmass, but 100%. You'll be saying this----the nation-state is dead, and in its place will be (enter your favorite current theme here, i.e. your malicious, omni-potent, incredibly large corporations)---for another 23 years and 23 years beyond that. If you study how large corporations are put together, and function, it borders on almost fanatical lunacy to proclaim they will one day rule the world as nation-states do. This is not saying nation-states are the best thing going, this is a direct observation of people's Ehrlick-tendencies proclaiming something when in fact it has nothing to do with reality. If you want to know what will begin to fell "nation-states" as we now know them, stop focusing on ephemeral things like corporations (God, I an old enough to remember how the exact same things were said about Henry Ford and his Ford Corporation)....but if you want to know what will begin to render "nation-States" into something else that we cannot yet foresee, you could do way worse than study the rise of Bitcoin and bitcoin-related currencies. That's what you're looking for, that is the thing that is coming like an unbelievably fast asteroid out of left field. As things now stand, there is no corporation that is not going to be upended by the changes wrought by digital currency not backed by any nation-state. And by extension, there will be a lot---a lot---of current nation-states that don't survive it either.

perdido

#17 Post by perdido »

Google is becoming a big bully.

Google is now doing "Everything possible to strangle the reach without deleting it." of youtube videos
that do not align with the google social engineering message.

Google now threatening websites that don't align with google's re-education of the masses

Contentious Memo Strikes Nerve Inside Google and Out
Non-politically correct engineer fired for expressing concerns about google's lack of diversity.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

I just read that Steve Bannon is in favor of regulating Facebook and Google as public utilities. Previously I might have agreed, but if Steve Bannon is for it, I'm against it.

8Geee

#19 Post by 8Geee »

Googlenomics includes the monetizing of all followers.
Since YT stopped supporting IE I wonder if edge was included.
MisterSoftie is not going to like that.

I will say that the above caused the EZ2Use Fiirefox app for YT to go back to the manual approach of watching YT vids.

I really do not trust google and chrome and flash and IE. I think the goal here is to feed us the news based upon what we like, not what is actually happening. We get the spin based upon what our on-line history is, not what the facts are.

As one former President said, "What is "is"?"

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

anikin

#20 Post by anikin »

What happens when you criticize Google? You get the boot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z15sYGXzyKg