Phil's Xenial 7.5

Using applications, configuring, problems
april

Phil's Xenial 7.5

#1 Post by april »

had a run at 32 and 64 today Phil . Good stuff.
Ill keep running it alongside my Precise 5.7.1
Expect Ill have some questions so Ill stick this here so as not to mess with your thread

Noticed Quickpet , download Seamonkey did not work for me .

Also it seems to me at this point that after burning the iso to a CD and leaving it as a multisession , copying sfs's to the hard drive that something then may have been altered on the CD later and it won't boot properly on another machine ?

Still working out what this is but surely it does not write back to an open CD does it?
Last edited by april on Sat 30 Dec 2017, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

6502coder

Re: Phil's Xenial 7.5

#2 Post by 6502coder »

april wrote:Noticed Quickpet , download Seamonkey did not work for me .
Are you aware of this issue with upgrades to SM 2.49? (Nov 4 statement from the SM Project)

"Automatic upgrades from previous versions are, for most configurations, disabled for this release. If you need to upgrade from an earlier version, please download the full installer from the downloads section and install SeaMonkey 2.49.1 manually over the previous version."

april

#3 Post by april »

mm OK thanks . Not sure what it is as seamonkey is not installed on the iso . Thats why I was trying to use quickpet to get it . Much safer that way with Phil's stuff and it works.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Also it seems to me at this point that after burning the iso to a CD and leaving it as a multisession , copying sfs's to the hard drive that something then may have been altered on the CD later and it won't boot properly on another machine ?

Is the save on the CD?
If yes.
That is going to have specific hardware settings for the computer it was made on.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

6502coder

#5 Post by 6502coder »

april wrote:mm OK thanks . Not sure what it is as seamonkey is not installed on the iso . Thats why I was trying to use quickpet to get it . Much safer that way with Phil's stuff and it works.
My apologies for being cryptic, not to mention delusional. I meant to suggest that perhaps whatever the SM Project did, that was preventing automatic upgrades to 2.49.1 from happening, may have had the side-effect of disrupting the quickpet mechanism. Obviously this seems like nonsense on reflection. I guess I hadn't had my cup of coffee yet...

april

#6 Post by april »

Sorry mate hope I did not offend .

I'm having a ball with this and like it very much except the browser.

The android phone app does not work for me so I decided to try a compile operation so I like gmtp for my android phone atm

I downloaded the devx file from here
https://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/pup ... 64_7.5.sfs and checked the hashes

And the went here and got libmtp
https://sourceforge.net/projects/libmtp ... p_redirect

then here for gmtp
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gmtp/? ... p_redirect

Did the

Code: Select all

./configure
make
make install 
on each in order and it runs fine

Some reason I cannot upload anything to my phone at this point though ? I'll work on that.

I've just about left Precise 5.7.1 behind . Email hooked in seamlessly. I got Seamonkey down by the PPM (Puppy Package Manager) but now find palemoon is preventing my lastpass and adblock extensions from being accessed by Seamonkey. Its that sort of deceit that I mostly avoided with seamonkey in the past. This new Seamonkey hasn't got lastpass and adblock extensions atm it tells me so I'm pushed to use Palemoon as it has them..

EDIT see below Phil fixed up the Phone connect and it is by far better than this.
Last edited by april on Mon 01 Jan 2018, 02:44, edited 4 times in total.

april

#7 Post by april »

bigpup wrote:

Is the save on the CD?
If yes.
That is going to have specific hardware settings for the computer it was made on.
No the savefile is on the harddrive in the first machine (see above) but when I took the CD to another machine that had no savefile and that I expected to have to set it all up again, it would not complete the boot .

It may be just a hitch with that machine too as I tried it on a third and fourth and it now seems to be booting fine . Gotta do that one again
EDIT Yep my mistake I think . Confusion was making a 32 bit copy as well and using it in error. All good now
Last edited by april on Sat 30 Dec 2017, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

theru

#8 Post by theru »

Transferring files over an mtp connection can be troublesome especially with Android's write permissions to the external sd card.

I decided to go a different route by enabling usb tethering and installing an ftp server on the phone that had the required permissions.

It worked but I had problems afterwards connecting to my wlan at bootup. Eventually used SNS to make the settings stick.

If you want to give it a try then I can give you more details.

april

#9 Post by april »

Thanks . Ill pursue a bit on the Github site for an answer first. Its probably something simple that I am not doing right.

666philb

#10 Post by 666philb »

thanks april,

seamonkey fixed in quickpet & phone connect should now be fixed

quickpet >>> xenialpup updates
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

april

#11 Post by april »

Cheers Phil Both worked well for me

theru

#12 Post by theru »

april

getting openvpn running

#13 Post by april »

Phil I ran into a problem .

With OpenVPN using PPM or directly compiled version it fails to make the tunnel due to not finding what it needs in /dev.

Tue Jan  9 08:13:53 2018 ERROR: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such file or directory (errno=2)
Tue Jan  9 08:13:53 2018 Exiting due to fatal error
root# 
I tried adding the required directories myself which didn't work. /dev/net/tun and also tried /dev/net/ and a file called "tun" but it didn't like that either .

Tue Jan  9 07:52:07 2018 ERROR: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: Is a directory (errno=21)
Tue Jan  9 07:52:07 2018 Exiting due to fatal error
root# 
Can you help with this at all please? How can i create the required TUN/TAP device?

april

#14 Post by april »

I have found by research that the line

modprobe tun
enables that to be set up so it seems the kernel does not bring this in automatically.

Running "modprobe tun" first and then the usual " openvpn vpnbook-euro2-tcp80.ovpn" in my case does succeed and set up a tunnel but data at this point is not going through it .

Looking at the modules available to be started when you boot "tun" is not an option. tunnel6 from memory was available but this did not affect things when loaded.

The openvpn instruction pagehttps://openvpn.net/index.php/open-sour ... ml?start=1 says you also need to do

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
but this did not seem to affect anything for me either
Last edited by april on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.

april

#15 Post by april »

Found quickpet's "Openshot" video editor would not install either
CUPS setup is a ballsup.
You have to enter "http://localhost:631" in the browser to get going
Last edited by april on Mon 15 Jan 2018, 03:43, edited 2 times in total.

dustedwax

keyboard layout problem

#16 Post by dustedwax »

There is a problem with the keyboard layout settings, loading on boot. It seems xorgs.conf has been set properly only for the keyboard variant (i use "Phonetic"), but the previously added layout ("Bulgarian") doesn't appear and must be set every time system boots.
Which scripts set the keyboard layout and keyboard layout variants to xorg.conf? I'd like to check out the code.

bigpup

#17 Post by bigpup »

dustedwax,

You need to start your own topic about your problem.
What specific version of Xenialpup 7.5?
32bit or 64 bit?
How is it installed and on what?
The specific details on how you make the setting changes?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

dustedwax

#18 Post by dustedwax »

bigpup wrote:dustedwax,

You need to start your own topic about your problem.
What specific version of Xenialpup 7.5?
32bit or 64 bit?
How is it installed and on what?
The specific details on how you make the setting changes?
Xenialpup 7.5, 32bit, Frugal Installation on USB stick.

Here are some thoughts and debugging:
Edit 1: I think the problem appears in keymap-set script. It always seems to set XkbLayout to default "us" value...
Edit 2: Noted that /etc/codepage file doesn't exist on boot and rc.country forces keymap-set --startup --load.
Edit 3: keymap-set worked fine after I disabled with a comment executing the keymap-set --startup --load in rc.country.
Edit 4: It seems the file /etc/codepage doesn't exist at point rc.country runs, so I decided to check out if the file /etc/keymap exists (i.e. is previously set) and here is the fix in rc.country:

######keyboard section######
if [ "$ASKKMAP" = "no" ];then
# [ ! -f /etc/codepage ] && echo -n "" > /etc/codepage # original code
# keymap-set --startup --load &>/dev/null # original code
 [ ! -f /etc/keymap ] && keymap-set --startup --load &>/dev/null #20180120 fix, runs 'keymap-set --startup -load' if no keymap is previously set
else
 [ ! -e /etc/keymap ] && keymap-set cli > /dev/console
fi