Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Oct 2018, 07:04
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Cannot unmount partition to shut down
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Author Message
morochos

Joined: 27 Aug 2013
Posts: 64

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan 2018, 23:31    Post subject:  Cannot unmount partition to shut down  

Hi
I have worked with puppy linux since 2010, but this is the first time I have to report this problem:
I'm have been using xenial pup 64 since released 2 months ago, everything ok, but recently, during shut down or reboot, the system freezes, as you can see in the picture. This happens with save file or without save file. That message appears just before it should reboot or shut down, and freezes.
When loaded as an original pup, without save file, it says it cannot unmount the ext4 partition.
What do you think? Thanks
66.png
 Description   
 Filesize   182.97 KB
 Viewed   449 Time(s)

66.png

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
bigpup


Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 11130
Location: Charleston S.C. USA

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan 2018, 08:12    Post subject:  

This is after you do a complete power off of computer for minimum of 1 minute?

Xenialpup is installed on what device?
Hard drive, USB flash drive, CD, etc.....?
What format is the device's partition Xenialpup is installed on?
Is the partition it is talking about the one Xenialpup is installed on?

Can you get it to boot from a live USB or CD of Xenialpup not using a save?
If yes.
Try using Gparted to do a check of the partition.
If it finds any errors.
Keep running checks on it until no errors.

My first idea is the ext4 file system is corrupted or has errors.

_________________
I have found, in trying to help people, that the things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
morochos

Joined: 27 Aug 2013
Posts: 64

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan 2018, 10:18    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
This is after you do a complete power off of computer for minimum of 1 minute?

Xenialpup is installed on what device?
Hard drive, USB flash drive, CD, etc.....?
What format is the device's partition Xenialpup is installed on?
Is the partition it is talking about the one Xenialpup is installed on?

Can you get it to boot from a live USB or CD of Xenialpup not using a save?
If yes.
Try using Gparted to do a check of the partition.
If it finds any errors.
Keep running checks on it until no errors.

My first idea is the ext4 file system is corrupted or has errors.


Hi Bigpup
This is when I reboot or shutdown. Just before it should power off or boot the system.
My xenial pup is installed in an usb flash drive, fat32.
The partition with the problem is an ext4, it is accessible and writable.
I can boot xenial pup without save file but the problem persists.
I will try with gparted, as you suggest
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
morochos

Joined: 27 Aug 2013
Posts: 64

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan 2018, 15:56    Post subject:  

Tested with Gparted, no errors found...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Mike Walsh


Joined: 28 Jun 2014
Posts: 4240
Location: King's Lynn, UK.

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan 2018, 17:09    Post subject:  

I think that ext4 file-system's your problem, TBH.

It's standard practice to use ext4 on the majority of mainstream distros.....all of which are designed for a 'full' install (where the OS 'takes over' the partition).

Folks come to Puppy from other Linux OSes, and immediately they're flummoxed when you tell them that Puppy works best with ext3.

'But I've always used ext4. Why should I change now?' And so they go ahead and install, using ext4.....and 9 times out of 10, they're here on the forum a while later, complaining that Pup's not working properly. And then get all snotty when you try to point out it was their mistake because they ignored the advice given.

I'm not saying that's the case here.....especially if you've been using Pup for a few years. But ext4 is something of an 'oddball' file-system where Pup's concerned.....

Have you always used it.....or was this something of an experiment?


Mike. Wink

_________________
MY PUPPY PACKAGES | 'Thanks' are always appreciated!
--------------------------------------

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
morochos

Joined: 27 Aug 2013
Posts: 64

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan 2018, 17:17    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
I think that ext4 file-system's your problem, TBH.

It's standard practice to use ext4 on the majority of mainstream distros.....all of which are designed for a 'full' install (where the OS 'takes over' the partition).

Folks come to Puppy from other Linux OSes, and immediately they're flummoxed when you tell them that Puppy works best with ext3.

'But I've always used ext4. Why should I change now?' And so they go ahead and install, using ext4.....and 9 times out of 10, they're here on the forum a while later, complaining that Pup's not working properly. And then get all snotty when you try to point out it was their mistake because they ignored the advice given.

I'm not saying that's the case here.....especially if you've been using Pup for a few years. But ext4 is something of an 'oddball' file-system where Pup's concerned.....

Have you always used it.....or was this something of an experiment?


Mike. Wink


Hi, I have ever used ext4 with previous puppy linux versions, without problems like this. By the way, I made memtest, no problems, and used the same puppy usb in other pc, and it boots, reboot and shut down perfectly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
bigpup


Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 11130
Location: Charleston S.C. USA

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan 2018, 01:15    Post subject:  

Did you make this ext4 format, using Gparted in Puppy or did some other Linux OPS?

There is now a 64bit ext4 format and Puppy does not know how to use it correctly.
Gparted in Puppy does 32bit ext4 formats.

_________________
I have found, in trying to help people, that the things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
morochos

Joined: 27 Aug 2013
Posts: 64

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan 2018, 09:47    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Did you make this ext4 format, using Gparted in Puppy or did some other Linux OPS?

There is now a 64bit ext4 format and Puppy does not know how to use it correctly.
Gparted in Puppy does 32bit ext4 formats.


I did the ext4 with Ubuntu, 3 years ago.
If I run the precise puppy, this problem is not present. It is just happening with xenial 64 or 32.
I found a similar issue here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/puppy-71/puppy-does-not-shutdow-898764/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
bigpup


Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 11130
Location: Charleston S.C. USA

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan 2018, 17:20    Post subject:  

Anything on this ext4 partition that has anything to do with Xenialpup?

You are using Xenialpup64 7.5?

_________________
I have found, in trying to help people, that the things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
morochos

Joined: 27 Aug 2013
Posts: 64

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan 2018, 18:01    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Anything on this ext4 partition that has anything to do with Xenialpup?

You are using Xenialpup64 7.5?


Yes, I'm using xenialpup 7.5. Nothing in ext4, except the save file, but the problem is present with or withou save file.

In this moment, I'm using the pup artful 17.11 as an alternative. It's very good, just that it is 32 bits. But it reboots and shui down perfectly, as was my xenial installation 2 month ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
bigpup


Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 11130
Location: Charleston S.C. USA

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan 2018, 22:20    Post subject:  

How exactly are you doing the boot so it does not use the save?

If the save is on the ext4 partition that is the common thing. Something could be wrong with it.

You could try checking the save for errors.

The save file can not be in use.

Mount the partition the save is on.

Open a terminal, and enter:

e2fsck /path to savefile

For example:
e2fsck /mnt/sda1/pupsave.2fs

To check a save folder use the method for checking a partition.
Check the partition the save folder is on.

To do the whole partition:
Need to boot from a live Puppy or a Puppy on a different partition to do a partition check.
(the partition must be unmounted)
Example:
partition sda1

e2fsck /dev/sda1

_________________
I have found, in trying to help people, that the things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
morochos

Joined: 27 Aug 2013
Posts: 64

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan 2018, 09:31    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
How exactly are you doing the boot so it does not use the save?

If the save is on the ext4 partition that is the common thing. Something could be wrong with it.

You could try checking the save for errors.

The save file can not be in use.

Mount the partition the save is on.

Open a terminal, and enter:

e2fsck /path to savefile

For example:
e2fsck /mnt/sda1/pupsave.2fs

To check a save folder use the method for checking a partition.
Check the partition the save folder is on.

To do the whole partition:
Need to boot from a live Puppy or a Puppy on a different partition to do a partition check.
(the partition must be unmounted)
Example:
partition sda1

e2fsck /dev/sda1


I will try as you said, however, the problem is present even is I run xenial pup without save file
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
morochos

Joined: 27 Aug 2013
Posts: 64

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan 2018, 10:40    Post subject:  

After e2fsck, it returned:
mnt4.png
Description 
png

 Download 
Filename  mnt4.png 
Filesize  32.32 KB 
Downloaded  129 Time(s) 
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
morochos

Joined: 27 Aug 2013
Posts: 64

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan 2018, 10:41    Post subject:  

And when looking for an alternative superblock, it returned:
mnt8.png
Description 
png

 Download 
Filename  mnt8.png 
Filesize  16.75 KB 
Downloaded  126 Time(s) 
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
bigpup


Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 11130
Location: Charleston S.C. USA

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan 2018, 17:41    Post subject:  

Earlier you posted this:
Quote:
Tested with Gparted, no errors found...

The thing is Gparted is doing the check using this same program. e2fsck.
STRANGE!!

Run the check several times to see if it always says no errors.

Wonder if you have a drive going bad Idea
Just Puppy luck it is acting up when using Puppy.


This is what I would do.
Delete the partition.
Make a new partition from the now unallocated space.
Format it to ext 3.

Try to copy anything on the ext4 partition you want to keep to some other location.

Boot Xenialpup from something other than the hard drive.
A live install on a USB flash drive or a CD/DVD.

The drive the partition is on cannot be mounted or at least the partition cannot be mounted.

Run Gparted and delete, partition, and format.

_________________
I have found, in trying to help people, that the things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1323s ][ Queries: 14 (0.0192s) ][ GZIP on ]