Getting exFAT and ADB working in Slacko Puppy.

Booting, installing, newbie
amn87

Getting exFAT and ADB working in Slacko Puppy.

#1 Post by amn87 »

I apologise if this is the wrong forum. I am new here and posting this from my mobile...
My laptop's HDD is on the verge of dying(many bad sectors,frequent system freezes). So I am running Slacko Puppy 6.3.2 off of a USB drive. I am yet to decide whether to buy a new HDD or get a modern laptop so for the time being its upto Puppy.
I am facing a few issues:
1. My USB drives and memory card where I had backed up my data are all in exFAT. I have tried following few guides but could nt get it to work. Is there any .PET available? I can then backup data to DVDs and free them
up
2. I could not get ADB working as well. Placed adb binary in usr/bin or /bin but everytime I run "adb devices" I get permission denied error. JDK is not necessary is it? MTP is working and USB Debugging is on.
Is there is any other distro where all this works by default?
P.S. Any distro where latest Chromium works without much effort will be much appreciated. The preinstalled ESR Firefox is quite slow at times.

amn87

#2 Post by amn87 »

Can anyone help me out please? Thanks.

Sailor Enceladus

#3 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Do you mean that you are just trying to retrieve the data from the exFat partition, or that you are also trying to install Puppy into the USB partition that is exFat? If possible, it sounds like the best approach would be to move the data on the exFat partition to somewhere else (in Puppy or in Windows), then reformat the usb to fat32 or ext with GParted, then move it back, but I'm not sure as I don't think I've ever used exFat, and the description on Wikipedia doesn't sound too encouraging:
exFat is proprietary and Microsoft owns patents on several elements of its design.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

amn87

#5 Post by amn87 »

Thanks a lot Sailor Enceladus, bigpup and Semme for your help.
Its funny in the sense I had browsed all the same articles earlier but could not get it to work.
In case of exfat, I had mistakenly assumed that the guide was meant for Ubuntu based pups.
And in case of setting up adb, besides incorrect permissions, I had also downloaded the 64 bit version of the platform tools instead of the 32 bit one.
Much relieved now. Thanks again.