AppImageHub

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
labbe5

AppImageHub

#1 Post by labbe5 »

https://appimage.github.io/apps/

We currently have 318 apps in our database.

rufwoof

#2 Post by rufwoof »

X-ref/link that might be of associated interest http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 555#988555

With lower cost per MB of storage and faster comms transfer rates, would be nice if more provided basic simple "functions" (programs) in the original Unix concept style ... doing one small thing well - but extended to support multi-architecture. If each of those units included cross platform support, then those individual units could be combined to provide application type service ... a text editor, paint program ... whatever in a manner that could be run on a wide range of hardware/operating systems.

When pre-packaged into something like a ROX APPDIR that contains all of the icons ...etc. then that mitigates the need to install programs and instead can just be run (by users i.e. without having to open up root).

AppImages are nice, but tend to still be restrained to specific OS's/hardware. With relatively little modification for instance (code that I've not included to test for what system/architecture is running, so as-is you have to manually edit the alarm script) the above linked alarm program could be just copied to and run by either Linux or BSD.

Not needing to be installed also means that programs can be contained ... restricted to the security level of the person running that program.

drunkjedi

#3 Post by drunkjedi »

The list seems to be growing.

I noticed the app krita is listed though don't give links to the website or download...
I have downloaded krita appimages from krita's website and they work in Fatdog64.
Maybe krita appimage makers forgot or didn't think it's useful to update links.

riedzig

#4 Post by riedzig »

It is very easy to make your own appimage of an app that can be run from the extracted .deb or .rpm - main browsers Firefox, Chrome and all their derivates, Vivaldi, Thunderbird, Kompozer, Googleearth and many others. Often you can even copy the content of an opened appimage in /tmp to a new folder. Then just replace the content of usr with the new one and eventually make some minor changes in the .desktop file. The appimagetool will tell you what to do.
Also, many websites provide their own appimages - Libreoffice, Avidemux, Otter, but mostly for 64bit Linux.