Need VLC for Racy (.pet or .sfs). Never mind.

Using applications, configuring, problems
nic007

Need VLC for Racy (.pet or .sfs). Never mind.

#1 Post by nic007 »

Looking for an all-in-one pet or sfs for VLC which works with Racy. I've downloaded VLC pets from the official repo at ibiblio but it all seems bit and pieces (can't get it to work). Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, I see it requires qt4 crap which is going to make it a massive download. I think I will just soldier on with a very old version (which worked with puppy 412 and works with Racy albeit a bit buggy). Not all the bells and whistles at a size of 7MB but it works nevertheless.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, Nick:-

I've only ever found two media players that'll work properly in Racy. One is the supplied version of MPlayer (the one with the separate, skinnable 'control-panel'), here.....from the Wary repo at ibiblio:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... c4-w5c.pet

.....and the other one being an SMPlayer 'front-end' that was originally compiled for Lucid. It works perfectly, though.....and you can find that here:-

http://puppylinuxfaq.org/add-on-softwar ... r-pet.html

I never found tttttux's VLC would work in Racy. I've been gradually moving the kennels across to more lightweight media players, after having been a staunch VLC user for years; most of the kennels now use GXine, which I really like; a LOT.

Cannot get it to run in Racy, though. Keep getting a segfault.....

Mike. :wink:

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

Hi, Mike. Mplayer is default player for Racy and works okay (but crashes sometimes). I prefer VLC as the sound (equalizer) is better for playing mp3's too. As mentioned, I'm using an old VLC version I downloaded from 412collection. Works perfectly with 412 and needs a few tricks to work properly with Racy but once you get the hang of it it works fine (works as is without further dependencies too). Only a 7Mb pet also. BTW - I have had some real fun with Puppy 412 recently. Stripped it down to the basics and included VLC, new base size 70MB (zip not xz compression). The surprising thing is that I can do everything with that puppy that I can do with newer puppys and performance is not compromised. It even plays HQ videos flawlessly with VLC (the default Gxine player can't). The only drawback like any other old puppy is the outdated browser but there is a Seamonkey pet on the abovementioned site which version is newer than the default Seamonkey in Racy!!!!

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, Nick.

VLC from the 412 collection, huh? Mm; might give it a try at some point, if that's the case. Care to share what the necessary 'tweaks' are?

I'm in 570 on the old Dell lappie at the moment, but the big Compaq is doing server duty at the moment running Racy. So I'll download that, and wait to hear back from you?

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Well, I'm absolutely amazed by this. At long last, a VLC which (apparently) works without issue in Racy. I'm currently watching the 2013 Star Trek movie, 'Into Darkness', and the big Compaq's dual-core Athlon is ticking over at around 26-28%. MPlayer takes more than that; usually around 36-40%. And SMPlayer takes a bit more still.....normally about 55-60% (but of course, it is running MPlayer in the background).

It appears to be a 'self-contained' package, with everything needed to run. Grateful thanks are due to Mikeb for this one..!

But the best bit is, I've got it running in Slacko 570 on the old Dell. The P4 runs around 38-45% with this playing; even Gxine uses around 60-some odd %. And SMPlayer runs it flat out at 96-98%. Gxine also has a regular slight video 'hiccup' every 5 seconds or so (could be the buffers need some adjusting); this VLC? Smooth as silk, all the way.

And the stupid thing is, I appear to have had this in my 'Pet store' for nearly 2 years.....and never even realised it was there..! I couldn't care less about the 'old-fashioned' interface. There's still enough recognisable VLC bits that I can find my way around.....the main thing is, I can at long last watch vids on the old Dell lappie without her going into 'meltdown'.

To say I'm impressed is an understatement.....and it all goes to prove what I've maintained for some time now. That you're always better off running 'contemporary' software to 'match' the age of your hardware. This VLC is from 2008; 10 years ago. The Dell is approaching its 15th birthday. Ergo sum.

(*shrug*)

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 23:56, edited 2 times in total.

musher0

#6 Post by musher0 »

Hello nic007.

Have you tried cvlc or the ncurses version of vlc? Those do not need Qt.

I tried the ncurses version of vlc a couple of months ago. It comes OOTB with awful
colors -- which make the whole interface lack contrast and look pretty ugly --, but I'm
sure those colors can be changed. I didn't go any further with it then, but maybe you
could rework the colors to suit your needs.

Also, I can't remember for sure if it was BigBass or darry1966, a few years ago,
who came up with a gtkdialog using cvlc. It ran well. Probably Darry, I think it came
with his AkitaPup. Maybe PM him?

Just a few thoughts. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Keef

#7 Post by Keef »

You are probably thinking of Sc0ttman's vlc-gtk. Not sure where you would get it from now as the Akita repo is down.

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, musher0.

I believe you'll find darry1966 deserted us for pastures green quite a while ago. His name is no longer in the member's list, if you check it out.

I'm in occasional contact with him on Linux Questions.org. If necessary, I could always pass a message on, if needs be.

musher0

#9 Post by musher0 »

Oh ye of little faith !!! ;) (Matthew 8:26) :lol:

Typing < vlc-gtk murga-linux.com/puppy > in ask.com :
https://www.ask.com/web?qsrc=1&o=0&l=di ... archTopBox
brought me here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... ost#412649
And third line in the OP in that thread, what do we have ?!?!
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &id=111858
Bingo!!! VLC-GTK 2.8.1 (stable) !!!
Not that I am a genius or anything !!! (hehehehe) ;) But I know how to search !!!

And the author is... sc0ttman, as Keef remembered. (Thanks, Keef!)

Given nic007's talent and track record, I don't think he would find it too difficult to
update sc0ttman's work to accomodate the most recent vlc?

Have fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~
Below:
Cover of Sous le ciel de l'Ouest (1952; transl.: "Under the sky of the West").
Art by Morris. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Luke
Attachments
LuckyLuke2.jpg
This pic has no relevance with the content of the post, except the satisfaction of having found something!!! :-)
(151.95 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

Mike Walsh wrote:Well, I'm absolutely amazed by this. At long last, a VLC which (apparently) works without issue in Racy. I'm currently watching the 2013 Star Trek movie, 'Into Darkness', and the big Compaq's dual-core Athlon is ticking over at around 26-28%. MPlayer takes more than that; usually around 36-40%. And SMPlayer takes a bit more still.....normally about 55-60% (but of course, it is running MPlayer in the background).

It appears to be a 'self-contained' package, with everything needed to run. Grateful thanks are due to Mikeb for this one..!

But the best bit is, I've got it running in Slacko 570 on the old Dell. The P4 runs around 38-45% with this playing; even Gxine uses around 60-some odd %. And SMPlayer runs it flat out at 96-98%. Gxine also has a regular slight video 'hiccup' every 5 seconds or so (could be the buffers need some adjusting); this VLC? Smooth as silk, all the way.

And the stupid thing is, I appear to have had this in my 'Pet store' for nearly 2 years.....and never even realised it was there..! I couldn't care less about the 'old-fashioned' interface. There's still enough recognisable VLC bits that I can find my way around.....the main thing is, I can at long last watch vids on the old Dell lappie without her going into 'meltdown'.

To say I'm impressed is an understatement.....and it all goes to prove what I've maintained for some time now. That you're always better off running 'contemporary' software to 'match' the age of your hardware. This VLC is from 2008; 10 years ago. The Dell is approaching its 15th birthday. Ergo sum.

(*shrug*)

Yes, seems to work on many puppys. Don't know if mikeb actually compiled it but thanks to him for sharing. The problem I have with it when using with Racy is that it sometimes crashes when opening a biggish size window from the minimal interface on first use. But, I've found a way which almost always work. When first opening, I drag the window size of the application to about a quarter size of my screen and then open a video which I know does not take up the whole screen size. Therafter a video of any size works without failure.
Last edited by nic007 on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.

nic007

#11 Post by nic007 »

musher0 wrote:Oh ye of little faith !!! ;) (Matthew 8:26) :lol:

Typing < vlc-gtk murga-linux.com/puppy > in ask.com :
https://www.ask.com/web?qsrc=1&o=0&l=di ... archTopBox
brought me here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... ost#412649
And third line in the OP in that thread, what do we have ?!?!
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &id=111858
Bingo!!! VLC-GTK 2.8.1 (stable) !!!
Not that I am a genius or anything !!! (hehehehe) ;) But I know how to search !!!

And the author is... sc0ttman, as Keef remembered. (Thanks, Keef!)

Given nic007's talent and track record, I don't think he would find it too difficult to
update sc0ttman's work to accomodate the most recent vlc?

Have fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~
Below:
Cover of Sous le ciel de l'Ouest (1952; transl.: "Under the sky of the West").
Art by Morris. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Luke
Hi, musher0. The GUI looks nice. Still looking for a later version VLC without the bells and whistles that actually works.