How to upgrade BIOS of old Samsung laptop?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
peterw

Very Hot Air Gun

#16 Post by peterw »

Yes Sage. It is or was a paint stripping gun that is very old but very good for work on pcb's. It is surprising how often a good blast of it on a motherboard works.
Interesting comment about the guy in Cardiff that sells replacement bios chips. Not needed one yet but I will remember this for the occasion if ever I need one.

Sage

#17 Post by Sage »

When a board finally gives up, it provides a wealth of spares, including BIOS chips and sometimes their sockets, when fitted. Liberation with the trusty heat gun is often easier than individual removal by soldering iron. The twelve quid SF unit has two settings - 450/600C. 60/40 Sn/Pb solder melts ~370C. Most components easily survive that, but the big MOSTFET regulators might need the 600C setting to release them from the board - not an issue since everything salvaged should be tested before re-use. Personally, I get more fun from the HW than struggling to get the SW working!

8Geee

#18 Post by 8Geee »

Well if you want one last tip...
The actual CPU has a bit of silicone/cereamic to transfeer heat to the metal heat-sink. If that silicone ceramic paste fails due to age, crazy stuff happens.

In a desktop, this is easier, just a spec of Arctic Silver 5 or 7 on the CPU, and clamp the heat-sink back down.

In a lappy, this is difficult due to tight fit of all the parts. It may not be worth it.

Just a thought
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Burn_IT

#19 Post by Burn_IT »

In a lappy, this is difficult due to tight fit of all the parts. It may not be worth it.
It can be.
I bought the laptop I'm typing this on from ebay at a ridiculously low price because it was overheating.
A quick clean of the cooling systems and a change to the correct settings in the BIOS and it ran cool enough to let me put a faster cpu in it and it now only gets hot when under heavy load.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Sage

#20 Post by Sage »

laptop ...from ebay at a ridiculously low price
Better option for these (and dud/dying laptop gifts folks try to force on me!) is to remove from its naff plastic encasing, fit into regular desktop case. Trivial to make up a few lugs to attach and to intercept the 5/12V bus lines. The screen is gonna break if not already. Missing/faulty keys and touchpads eliminated via the USB port which can be extended with a simple hub. Bingo - got a proper PC, with reliable cooling, easy battery access, etc. Elementary DIY - will last until the next few HW iteractions, even longer with the remaining 32bit offerings.