How do you compile a program when cmake shows errors?

discuss compiling applications for Puppy
Lassar

How do you compile a program when cmake shows errors?

#1 Post by Lassar »

Thought I would get brave and compile kodi.

You have to use cmake in place of configure to compile kodi.

I followed the instructions exactly.

Cmake refuses to do anything, because of errors.

Tried it in live lubuntu cd running in memory.

Tried it in xenialpup. Tried it in tiny core.

No luck.

I liked configure method better then cmake.

Trying to understand cmake spins my head.

I think cmake is way too complicated.

Has any one had any luck comping kodi?

april

#2 Post by april »

I see in Xenialpup64, which seems to be running extremely well for me , Phil has included his quickpet program which pulls down working programs for you.

It usually works pretty well for me.
It has Kodi on there although I have not tried it . What are Kodi's advantages or otherwise?

rockedge

#3 Post by rockedge »

do you have the mysql stuff installed? I used

Code: Select all

#./configure
and it worked until I realized I did not have mysql installed on this Xenial 7.0.6

Lassar

#4 Post by Lassar »

Know how to create a kodi pet using lubuntu live cd method.

Trying to learn how to compile kodi & make super lightweight kodi using
tinycore.

My trouble is cmake.

rockedge

#5 Post by rockedge »

ahhh..... very cool....cmake can be tricky with the options.

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

april wrote:What are Kodi's advantages or otherwise?
+ User interface designed for use on a tv i.e. big and good with a remote (although I use a wireless keyboard because it is so much more efficient for typing searches), provides shutdown functionality, runs with or without a window manager, etc.
+ It is the de facto standard for TV boxes, so there is an app for access to pretty much any streaming service, whether legal or "pirated".
+ In at least parts of the world NZ, even with current content it is claimed to be much easier to find what you want from the "pirate" sources than to figure out if it is available legally, and where, and then get the stupid legal systems to actually work (The NZ Herald had an opinion piece to this effect a week or so ago, arguing that people "pirate" for the sake of sanity, not to save money).
+ A lot of old content is available from "pirate" sources, which is hard or impossible to find legally.
- Parts of the user interface could do with some redesign - the system for installing addons from unofficial repositories is a bit cumbersome.
- You may end up installing a bewildering number of addons.
- The addon system brings another level of potential "dependency hell", and if you end up with broken addons after updates or whatever you may have trouble figuring out how to fix them.

Tip: make sure your clock is set correctly, otherwise search functions etc fail silently in some addons.
Tip: the world seems to have moved en mass to HEVC streaming because of the huge bandwidth savings. Unfortunately this means you either need a very good processor, or graphics card with hardware HEVC decoding. These graphics cards are still rare/expensive - you should probably consider instead buying a new (typically android based) kodi box, which is comparatively cheap, although if you happen to want one that also has digital TV decoders for both satellite and terrestrial TV, you might have trouble tracking down the one or two models that are available!. If you are willing to run your TV computer on Windows it isn't so bad - I've switched mine back to Windows because I misread the Kodi wiki and bought an older Nvidia card for $5 or something that only supports HEVC decoding in Windows. Unfortunately I won't be able to upgrade to the next version of Kodi though, because they will have dropped support for Vista and older!
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER