Networking

#61 Post by hornplayer »

Computer Dell Inspiron 2500 model
Network card Linksys Wireless-G Notebook adapter 2.4GHz 802.11g
Model # WPC54G v2

Linux Puppy version 3.01

Puppy Hardware - Interfaces application read the
adapter as follows:

Texas Instruments ACX III 54 mbps wireless interface Vendor 104C Device 9066 Kernel module: ACX

Interface ONLY works with NO Encryption...I don't like that...Anyone have a solution?

Number two: When I tried to use ndiswrapper to load a .inf file called "lstinds.inf" I got the following messages:

bcmwl5 driver installed
istinds:invalid

The reason I used LSTINDS.INF file was from some information that this was the driver for this particular TEXAS chip...Apparently puppy linux v3.01 will not accept this module....Unless I am installing it wrong...

I have been a Puppy Linux user for only a week and much to learn...

Another problem: Computer Dell Inspiron B130...using a Dell Wireless 1470 dual band wlan mini-pci card...which has a BCM4318 chip made by Broadcom...I haven't been able to locate the proper driver to work with linux....I tried the module bcm43xxpci doesn't work...unless again I turn off the router's encryption codes....

So anybody out there in the world can give me some help would be greatly appreciated....

BlackWhizz

#62 Post by BlackWhizz »

jonyo wrote:
BlackWhizz wrote:The box of the card says its an E-Tech WL-101.
Thx for that info. Any detailed info can greatly help others with a search.
How do i get the info? I really want to help, but i dont know how?

Delboy

#63 Post by Delboy »

pg99 wrote:Linksys WMP54G (v2) PCI card works well with Puppy 1.07/1.08/1.09 under ndiswrapper
I have just finished a full install and setup of NOP pUppy (based on 3.01 I believe) uisng my Linksys WPC54GS speedbooster card. Unlike several other distros (eg. Tinyme,Sam) the Broadcom chip driver supplied in this Puppy works properly loading it under Network Wizard and using ndiswrapper with the Linksys supplied windows .inf driver doesn't work ("driver invalid"). Great stuff! There is a fair bit of chat in other forums about the broadcom chip not quite working - Puppy works! Speed is good.
This card works well in other distros too using ndiswrapper.
I am using a cheap Micronet wireless and adsl router from Maplins in britain. This works brillaintly with wired ethernet connection into my main PC. box with several distros running live including Puppy.
Toshiba Portege 3440CT, 192mbRAM, 300mhz., 11.5" LCD wth Savage S3 IX MV graphics, Linksys WPC54G-S wireless card and Micronet ADSL2+ router on Tiscali UK.

Linus

2WIRE 802.11g PCMCIA (PC Card) H/W Revision 0.3

#64 Post by Linus »

2WIRE 802.11g PCMCIA (PC Card) H/W Revision 0.3

I finally got this card to work.

Computer:

Compaq Presario 1200 Notebook
AMD K-6 498 Mhz Processor
Type 2 card bus
192 MB RAM

Puppy Linux 3.01

First I download and installed NDISWrapper-1.51.pet from here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... r-1.51.pet

Then I downloaded the windows drivers from here:

http://www.2wire.com/pages/drvrs/twwgpc_2.3.1.3.exe

You can extract this exe with your archiver of choice.

Copy the WlanUIG.inf & the wlanCIG.sys into a separate folder that you will be able to browse to in Ndiswrapper later.

Now do a search for "prism54". I will edit this post later, but basically you need to remove (Move to another folder for safe keeping...do not delete) the prism54 wlan modules so that the network wizard won't automatically recognize your card as prism54 module.

Once you have moved it out of the 2.21.6.7 (or whatever I'll edit this later) folder......open up the network wizard and click on the Load Button.

Then Click on the "More" tab in the new screen that appears. Then click on NDISWrapper and drill down on the left to the folder where you saved WlanUIG.inf & the wlanCIG.sys. Select the WlanUIG.inf.

At this point, it should say:

wlanuig: driver installed
device (XXXX:XXXX) present (alternate driver: prism54)

Click finish.

Now click on the DHCP button if you have you ip address auotmatically assigned from the wireless access point. Otherwise click Static IP and set it up.

Now click on the "Wireless" button. Press the "Scan" button. Select you Access Point. Then click what type of encryption you have setup on your wireless access point (I clicked on WPA2, then entered my SSID and Passkey, changed the security to restricted and left the other selection on managed....unless you connect to you access point through another computer (Which is Ad Hoc) leave this setting as it's default.

My set up on the wireless was :

Wireless G Only

SSID Broadcast: Off

MAC ADDRESS Filtering ON

WPA-Pre Shared Key (WPA-PSK)

AES

9 alphnumeric passkey for testing purposes (I usually use a 63 random alpha-numeric characters (a-z, A-Z, 0-9) from https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm)

Hopefully this has worked for you.

howarddy

wireless / WiFi cards confirmed to work

#65 Post by howarddy »

Interesting set of posts....

I am trying to get Puppy installed on an old Hitachi notebook with 128 MB of RAM and a 300 Mhz Pentium II chip.

I was mostly able to install AntiX Mepis but it complains a bit about the BIOS being pre-year-2000 [its 1998].

AntiX finds and automagically uses my older Zyxel wireless card. Just Boots.

Puppy does not see the card or the PCIMCA interfaces....

Is there a customization I need to perform to get the cardbus interface running??? Or should I try to load the cardbus modules from AntiX, after booting, to get the wireless card running.

Puppy takes up less RAM and look friendlier, so I'd prefer to get it running in the 2nd partition, perhaps as part of a dual boot setup.....

jonyo

#66 Post by jonyo »

Got 12 hits with a search of Zyxel that might help. At a glance, didn't notice a pcmcia card though. A separate post in beginner section'd get way more attention. USB wifi dongle might be an option.

Lotsa pup friendly wifi gear are a snap to setup.
Last edited by jonyo on Fri 15 Feb 2008, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.

howarddy

wireless / wifi cards confirmed to work in puppy

#67 Post by howarddy »

One part of the issue is support for older laptops.... Mine is 1998.

Its USB 1 or 1.1

Should I be using a back-dated version of puppy??

tempestuous

#68 Post by tempestuous »

Check if the PCMCIA system recognises your device with these 2 commands -

cardctl status
cardctl ident

If you can't see the card listed, try resetting the PCMCIA interface, as explained here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1707#31707

jonyo

#69 Post by jonyo »

I'd pay close attention to anything tempestuous has to say. Your gear is fine (even live cd) with any 2xx series & maybe even 3. Usb 1.1 can work wifi with pup & I can recommend a few usb adapters that i've used.

Quickest way to go is pick & burn a few isos & fire them up live cd. So far I run almost all my pups live cd with save files to HD that have other OSs fully installed to HD & takes but a matter of minutes to set up good to go wifi.

howarddy

Wireless still not working

#70 Post by howarddy »

Thanks for all the suggestions. They haven't helped, tho'

The cardctl status command show a 3.3V card, its ready but without details.

The cardctl ident command has empty strings.... there is no card info.

I also tried the reset options:

cardctl eject
cardctl insert

No luck so I added:

read PID</var/run/cardmgr.pid
kill $PID
sleep 3
cardmgr

I did notice that the link light had been flashing but the power light did not light. I tried a new Airlink WLC 3025, but there were no lights on that one

I am trying to install puppy to the hard disk, but the process seems to hang on the GRUB installation step.... The RAM indicator is flashing 48.0 K so I think I have too little RAM [125 MB reported].

RePete

Can't Get My Wireless To Work...

#71 Post by RePete »

Card is a Belkin F5D7010v7. Puppy version 3.01. I tried loading the drivers that came with the card in ndiswrapper, but Puppy still couldn't see the card, and said the drivers were wrong. Any suggestions? Thanks!

portly

finally got working !

#72 Post by portly »

I'm now working wirelessly with the following set-up

Netgear MA101 USB

128-bit WEP

uname -a shows me the following;

Linux puppypc 2.6.21.7 #1 Sun Sep 9 02:29:54 GMT-8 2007 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2700+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

the trick to getting this little puppy working was to choose a HEXADECIMAL key when I set up the router (A BT Voyager 2091) rather than using a passphrase. Although the setup wizard found teh network ok, it always failed to give me a DHCP address when I used teh passphrase ! Anyway, working now, so happy boy !

hope this information helps somebody

I will also try it out on my IBM Thinkpad 600 soon and post an update

ichido

Belkin 54g PCMCIA

#73 Post by ichido »

Belkin 54g, PCMCIA, model F5D7011 with HSM, Version 1.0000.
This is running on my Dell Latitude C600, P-III 1002MHz, 515MB Shared RAM.
Using Puppy 2.15CE-final.
I am using the pci bcm43xx driver.

PageMaster

#74 Post by PageMaster »

Dell 1390 miniPCI card, recognized as being a Broadcom 4311 card.

Puppy 3.01 on Compaq Presario V6131EU

It does NOT run with installed bcm43xx module, you must use ndiswrapper and producer's Windows bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl5.sys files.
"[i]Computer is not an intelligent machine which helps stupid people, it is rather a stupid machine which runs only if used by intelligent people[/i]" - Umberto Eco, Italian philosopher and writer

jonyo

#75 Post by jonyo »

How do you setup the bcmwl5.sys files? Reason i ask is i've only used the .inf file so far.

PageMaster

#76 Post by PageMaster »

It was required by ndiswrapper while using .inf file... I can't post the code now... but as it returned many errors because of that, I put in the same directory and it runned...
"[i]Computer is not an intelligent machine which helps stupid people, it is rather a stupid machine which runs only if used by intelligent people[/i]" - Umberto Eco, Italian philosopher and writer

tempestuous

#77 Post by tempestuous »

Guys, the inf file is just an "information" file. It contains core information about the Windows driver, and will point to the true drivers; sys, cab, bin, etc.
As the official ndiswrapper instructions indicate:
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joom ... ows_driver
(and has been mentioned many times on this forum) -
Make sure the INF file, SYS file and any BIN files are all in one directory.
But having said this, there are many people who are successfully using the Linux bcm43xx driver for Broadcom wifi devices ... including forum member ichido just 3 posts earlier.
Under certain kernels, this driver can be problematic, but by using the information on this forum a solution can usually be found.
For example, under Puppy3.x, the bcm43xx module often needs to be unloaded/reloaded before it will work.
And in some other situations, you must extract the vendor-specific firmware.

PageMaster

#78 Post by PageMaster »

[quote="tempestuous"]
But having said this, there are many people who are successfully using the Linux bcm43xx driver for Broadcom wifi devices ... including forum member ichido just 3 posts earlier.
Under certain kernels, this driver can be problematic, but by using the information on this forum a solution can usually be found.
For example, under Puppy3.x, the bcm43xx module often needs to be unloaded/reloaded before it will work./quote]
Right, it runs with me, too... this is the better solution. Ever tried unloading and reloading it during boot?

Thanks a lot

ichido

#79 Post by ichido »

I am up & running, as I type, with my laptop.

Checking in "Puppy_Network_Setup" it shows:
Driver Modules loaded are; 3c59x bcm43xx
Interfaces eth0 eth1

Under Profiles:
Name SMC
ESSID SMC
Mode Managed is checked
Network I.D. shows my I.P. address
Freq 2.4GHz
Channel 6
Access Point MAC shows my address

This is working now on my Dell Latitude, bought used off eBay.
Dell C600, P-III 1002MHz, 515 Shared RAM.
Puppy 2.15CE-Final
Boot up is from my CD.
The pup_save.2fs file is on a PNY Flash Drive.

My PCMCIA is the Belkin 54g, Model F5D7011 with HSM, Version 1.000.
My Router= SMC Barricade g, 802.11g, 54Mbps, SMCWBR14-G2.
Ethernet connected to my desktop PC running Linspire 6.0.17.

I have a question about encryption
Do I need it?
I hear WEP is Crackable.
Is WPA 64bit or 128bit good and hassle free?
Right now I use MAC Address Filtering.
There are at times up up 4 other Wireless Networks running in my neighborhood, all using Windoze.
Do I need WPA or is MAC Filtering good enough?

Also,
How do I get OpenOffice and Install it and Puppy onto my hard drive?

Thank you to everyone who has posted on the Puppy Forums.
You have so far helped me greatly!
Let me know if I can help anyone cause I also need help (the Golden Rule).

jonyo

#80 Post by jonyo »

tempestuous wrote:Guys, the inf file is just an "information" file. It contains core information about the Windows driver, and will point to the true drivers; sys, cab, bin, etc.
Dunno how this works out in pup. I've not used anything but the .inf file through the net wiz to setup pup wifi that way.
Never used a sys file yet, or loaded one..that I know of. :?