wireless / wifi cards confirmed to work in puppy - OLD LIST

PageMaster

#76 Post by PageMaster »

It was required by ndiswrapper while using .inf file... I can't post the code now... but as it returned many errors because of that, I put in the same directory and it runned...
"[i]Computer is not an intelligent machine which helps stupid people, it is rather a stupid machine which runs only if used by intelligent people[/i]" - Umberto Eco, Italian philosopher and writer

tempestuous

#77 Post by tempestuous »

Guys, the inf file is just an "information" file. It contains core information about the Windows driver, and will point to the true drivers; sys, cab, bin, etc.
As the official ndiswrapper instructions indicate:
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joom ... ows_driver
(and has been mentioned many times on this forum) -
Make sure the INF file, SYS file and any BIN files are all in one directory.
But having said this, there are many people who are successfully using the Linux bcm43xx driver for Broadcom wifi devices ... including forum member ichido just 3 posts earlier.
Under certain kernels, this driver can be problematic, but by using the information on this forum a solution can usually be found.
For example, under Puppy3.x, the bcm43xx module often needs to be unloaded/reloaded before it will work.
And in some other situations, you must extract the vendor-specific firmware.

PageMaster

#78 Post by PageMaster »

[quote="tempestuous"]
But having said this, there are many people who are successfully using the Linux bcm43xx driver for Broadcom wifi devices ... including forum member ichido just 3 posts earlier.
Under certain kernels, this driver can be problematic, but by using the information on this forum a solution can usually be found.
For example, under Puppy3.x, the bcm43xx module often needs to be unloaded/reloaded before it will work./quote]
Right, it runs with me, too... this is the better solution. Ever tried unloading and reloading it during boot?

Thanks a lot
"[i]Computer is not an intelligent machine which helps stupid people, it is rather a stupid machine which runs only if used by intelligent people[/i]" - Umberto Eco, Italian philosopher and writer

ichido

#79 Post by ichido »

I am up & running, as I type, with my laptop.

Checking in "Puppy_Network_Setup" it shows:
Driver Modules loaded are; 3c59x bcm43xx
Interfaces eth0 eth1

Under Profiles:
Name SMC
ESSID SMC
Mode Managed is checked
Network I.D. shows my I.P. address
Freq 2.4GHz
Channel 6
Access Point MAC shows my address

This is working now on my Dell Latitude, bought used off eBay.
Dell C600, P-III 1002MHz, 515 Shared RAM.
Puppy 2.15CE-Final
Boot up is from my CD.
The pup_save.2fs file is on a PNY Flash Drive.

My PCMCIA is the Belkin 54g, Model F5D7011 with HSM, Version 1.000.
My Router= SMC Barricade g, 802.11g, 54Mbps, SMCWBR14-G2.
Ethernet connected to my desktop PC running Linspire 6.0.17.

I have a question about encryption
Do I need it?
I hear WEP is Crackable.
Is WPA 64bit or 128bit good and hassle free?
Right now I use MAC Address Filtering.
There are at times up up 4 other Wireless Networks running in my neighborhood, all using Windoze.
Do I need WPA or is MAC Filtering good enough?

Also,
How do I get OpenOffice and Install it and Puppy onto my hard drive?

Thank you to everyone who has posted on the Puppy Forums.
You have so far helped me greatly!
Let me know if I can help anyone cause I also need help (the Golden Rule).

jonyo

#80 Post by jonyo »

tempestuous wrote:Guys, the inf file is just an "information" file. It contains core information about the Windows driver, and will point to the true drivers; sys, cab, bin, etc.
Dunno how this works out in pup. I've not used anything but the .inf file through the net wiz to setup pup wifi that way.
Never used a sys file yet, or loaded one..that I know of. :?

tempestuous

#81 Post by tempestuous »

Yes, that's correct. You must always select the inf file to load the Windows driver files with ndiswrapper ...
... but the inf file is not, itself, a driver file. It simply provides the information to ndiswrapper about which other driver files need to be referenced. If those other files are not located in the same directory as the inf file, then then the ndiswrapper load process WILL FAIL.
jonyo wrote:Never used a sys file yet, or loaded one..that I know of. :?
True, you have never loaded a sys file, but without realising it you would have used a sys file.

jonyo

#82 Post by jonyo »

Wow, thx for that. A key piece of info that i didn't know. Turns out that most of the time I used the.inf file, I lucked into doing it right but now explains the odd time where I couldn't get it to work in a situation where I know it worked before.

Not to mention all the other attempts on wifi gear where I had no success & may have had a role in it.

geecee

#83 Post by geecee »

NETGEAR WG111v2 works for WEP on 3.01 and both WEP and WPA on 2.16
Follow my process towards the end of the Wireless thread under my name
Im a newbie so there could be other ways but this worked for me with some great help acknowledged in thread.
GOOD LUCK

dakiro

dakiro

#84 Post by dakiro »

I have right now Puppy 3.01 - and since I have changed it everything works like a charm. The dwl-610 started working immediatelly after I loaded the driver through ndiswrapper. No problem at all.

tempestuous

Re: dakiro

#85 Post by tempestuous »

dakiro wrote:The dwl-610 started working immediatelly after I loaded the driver through ndiswrapper.
The DWL-610 has a Realtek RTL8180 chipset which should be supported by the Linux r8180 driver.
So if the DWL-610 will only work in Puppy 3.01 using ndiswrapper, I would consider that a workaround, not a full success.

puppyluvr

#86 Post by puppyluvr »

:D

@ Linksys usb....WUSB54G with rt2570 driver, on 2.xx and 3.xx Puppys

dakiro

#87 Post by dakiro »

In puppy 3 the d-link dwl-510 pcmcia(same as 610) worked perfectly - with ndiswrapper, really extremely easy to set up.
My usb pentagram wifi - lite (sis chip) works beautifully and easy to setup with ndiswrapper (same drivers as for ubuntu)

HOWEVER, in 4 , the DWL even installed without ndiswrapper, it is r8180 driver. I am sorry to say though that it only works on open wifi, I am currently looking for a solution.
Give me a tip if you can.
Thanks

jackieflorida

Trendnet TEW-423PCI pci wifi adapter works with ndiswrapper

#88 Post by jackieflorida »

This Trendnet pci adapter has been around for a year or so now and I have found it to perform as well if not better than the much more expensive popular ones out there. At this date it is still available for about $15 at www.tigerdirect.com and other vendors. Whenever I am setting up another computer for wifi, I go for it.

See my post here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 261&t=4125

I looked at a half dozen or so Linux distributions via live CD. The key item for me is functioning wifi and Puppy4 has been the champ in that category for me.

It would be nice to have a slicker GUI wifi network applet but I get by nicely with these links on my desktop:
1. to Pwireless wireless scanner
2. to a script for iwconfig console output.

These two links and the native connect link, all on my desktop, give me easy and quick control of my wifi setup.

For #1 above, just go to /usr/sbin and drag Pwireless out onto your desktop.
For #2 above, you can copy and past these lines into Geany
#!/bin/sh
rxvt -e iwconfig
and then drag the script file from its directory (folder) onto the desktop.

The icons on the desktop after the dragging are actually links and you can dress them up by rightclicking on them and selecting "Set Icon" to drag and drop the icon of your choice for your desktop link.

I hope this helps. It's working nicely for me in Puppy4.

tempestuous

#89 Post by tempestuous »

dakiro wrote:... it is r8180 driver. I am sorry to say though that it only works on open wifi, I am currently looking for a solution.
The (aging) r8180 driver does not support WPA encryption, but it definitely supports WEP encryption. If WEP doesn't work, it's probably due to encryption-related modules not loading. Explanation and solution here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29664

Puppy 4.1 (currently at alpha2 stage) has an updated module for Realtek RTL8180/8185 chipsets, called "rtl8180". This new module should support both WEP and WPA encryption.

jackieflorida

#90 Post by jackieflorida »

Regarding tempestuous' and my post just above, the default module initially loaded was the r8180 which did not work at all. Then, as described in my post above, I used ndiswrapper with the Win98 driver supplied with my adapter (Trendnet TEW-423PI) The chip is covered so I don't know yet what chip is on the card.

The Win98 driver is their RTL8185. Installed with ndiswrapper the WPA function works via Puppy4's Network Wizard. I am submitting this post through a WPA network connection right now using the RTL8185.

Should any reader want to give this Win98 driver a try with ndiswrapper, I have made it available here: http://www.box.net/shared/lg9lofcu8o

daxdog

#91 Post by daxdog »

I am using a Dell M1330 laptop with an Intel 4965AGN wireless nic. It is not recognized by Puppy. I downloaded the Windows driver from Dell and tried it in Puppy using the wrapper. I will keep on trying, but I am not too hopeful.

tempestuous

#92 Post by tempestuous »

If you had done a forum search for "4965" you would see that there is now a native Linux driver for the Intel4965 wifi device, and this will be included in the upcoming Puppy 4.1 release.

can8v

#93 Post by can8v »

The usable data from the first three pages of this thread have now been added to the Puppy WiFi Assistant in addition to the test data from my own collection of WiFi adapaters and those of a couple of volunteers who have been testing for me. I hope to have the rest added by the end of this weekend.
can8v

can8v

#94 Post by can8v »

kyroc wrote:The Belkin USB wireless adapter model FSD7050 works quite well in Puppy 3.01
What version and revision of this card are you using and did you use a native linux driver or NDISwrapper with a windows driver. I am asking because I cannot reproduce your results. I would like to add this card to the Puppy WiFi Assistant, but you didn't supply enough information and even though I have one of these cards I have not been able to get it working. My guess is that you have a different version or revision, but even if you do I would like the data, so I could add it to the Puppy WiFi assistant.
Thanks,
can8v

Jeffreytooker

#95 Post by Jeffreytooker »

can8v wrote:
kyroc wrote:The Belkin USB wireless adapter model FSD7050 works quite well in Puppy 3.01
I am in Puppy 4.0 and my FSD7050 is giving me a lot of trouble. It is of the 4000 series. I have downloaded the latest Windows driver from Belkin for the 4000. How do I get the driver from My Docs into the Network Wizard? I am not very command line literate. Wizard says setup is successful but I can not get to Google.

TIA

Jeffrey Tooker

East of Red Bluff Ca.