The Debian-Stretch-Live Starter Kit

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rcrsn51

#106 Post by rcrsn51 »

anikin wrote:will it work with dash?
I have a no-bash version. But PWF has a learning curve. It would be preferable to test the standard version first in one of the current Dogs.

Its startup mechanisms may not work the same in pure Debian.

rcrsn51

#107 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is PeasyPrint ported from Puppy. The instructions are here.

Update: V3.1 has a new Fit tool. It determines in advance how you should up-scale an image to fit the target paper without overflowing the page - by width or by height.

Update: V4.0 is a complete rewrite that works without Ghostscript. The "To PDF" option sends the image to a PDF file instead of your printer.

Update: For a tool to crop photos into a size suitable for printing, read here.

Remove the fake .gz extension.
Attachments
peasyprint_4.2_all.deb.gz
Updated 2020-02-06
(8.06 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
snappie.png
(32.01 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 23 Apr 2020, 11:20, edited 13 times in total.

rcrsn51

#108 Post by rcrsn51 »

How to install Stretch-live on a UEFI computer

Users with Win8/10 machines or new motherboards are familiar with the issues of UEFI, GRUB2 and Secure Boot. Here is a recipe for dealing with them.

1. At bootup, you need to access the UEFI setup menus. On old BIOS machines, you would see a message like "Press Del to enter setup". But Windows now has "Fast Startup" that hides these messages. So you need to know the "hot key" like F2 in advance. By pressing it repeatedly as the machine boots, you can get into the menus. Some googling may yield the hot key for your particular machine.

If not, let Windows start, then find the back-door into the UEFI firmware settings. There are instructions here and here.

Hint: On most machines, click the On/Off icon, then shift-click on Restart. Select Troubleshooting > UEFI firmware settings > Restart.

2. Your first task in the UEFI setup is to disable Secure Boot. Most PC's have this option located somewhere in the menus. (It may be in a "Boot" submenu.) Then look for any Fast Boot options and disable them too. This will give you more time at bootup to press the hot key.

3. Note that we are leaving the machine as a UEFI boot device. We are NOT switching it back to "Legacy" or "CSM" mode. Any settings like Load Legacy Option ROM should (usually) be set to Disable.

4. If you are planning to dual-boot Windows, you MUST also disable its hibernation feature. Do this from within Windows - read here.

Hint:
- Right-click the Start button. Select Command prompt (admin). Type: powercfg.exe /h off
- Right-click the Start button. Select Power options > Choose what power buttons do. Set "power button = shutdown".
- Confirm that there are NO options for hibernating.

5. Build a UEFI-bootable flash drive. You can do this from either Windows or Linux.
a. Get a flash drive formatted as FAT32.
b. Download the uefi-grub2.iso from here.
c. Click on the file to mount it. Copy its contents onto the flash drive. There is a folder named EFI and three files.
d. Download a Stretch-live ISO and click-mount it. Copy the entire "live" folder onto the flash drive.
e. Also copy the whole ISO file onto the drive. You will need it to do a hard drive install.

6. Boot the flash drive.
a. Press the hot key to open the UEFI menus.
b. Locate the boot priority list and set USB first. If you cannot find the list, read the Update below.
c. Save and exit.

7. With any luck, the flash drive should boot. There will be a brief menu about locating a grub.cfg file. For now, ignore it.

8. The main GRUB2 menu has two choices. Try "Porteus boot" first. If it fails with a "cheat code is incorrect" error, reboot and try "live-boot" instead.

9. Please note that neither of these boot setups allow for persistence - having a save file/folder on the USB drive. The intent is to do a frugal install onto the hard drive. You will need a Linux-compatible partition there.

a. Stretch-Live has Gparted in its Preferences menu. In my experience, you can safely shrink a Windows main C: partition by 10-20GB. Then make a new ext4 partition in the empty space. YMMV.

b. Your flash drive has the stretch-live-frugal-install tool. Read here for instructions. Do a frugal install into the ext partition.

c. Run the GRUB2 converter tool to generate a menu entry for your frugal install.

10. You have two choices for how the system will boot:

a. Dual-boot with Windows. The safest procedure for Linux is to boot off the flash drive, then jump to the hard drive. Copy/paste the GRUB2 entry from above into your flash drive's grub.cfg. This will be a Porteus boot with a save folder in the ext partition.

Or add an entry like this to your flash drive's grub.cfg:

Code: Select all

menuentry "Hard drive installs" {
set root=(hd1,2)
configfile /grub2.txt
}
Also: See the example here.

b. Scrap Windows and start an all-Linux system. Using Gparted, delete the Windows partitions. Make a FAT32 "UEFI boot" partition and one or more ext partitions. (If there is already a FAT32 partition, leave it but delete the contents.) Set up the boot partition for UEFI with the same content as your flash drive. See the Update for how to replace the UEFI Windows boot entry with your own.

11. Is everything working? There may still be a small bug. If you re-boot off the flash drive, GRUB2 may find your hard drive's grub.cfg instead. Unlike Grub4Dos, GRUB2 searches all the available drives for a grub.cfg, NOT just the boot drive. At the brief initial menu, select "Manually specify location". In GRUB2 syntax, your flash drive will probably be drive 1, partition 1. Enter:

(hd1,1)/grub.cfg
Update: Some UEFI setups don't have a conventional boot priority list. So you have to press another hot key like F12 in order to boot from USB.

This is awkward if you need to do it each time. Here is how to add a permanent USB boot option.

1. Press F2 and open the Boot section.
2. Select: File browser add boot entry
3. Select the cryptic entry that looks like your USB drive.
4. Drill down and select the file: EFI/boot/bootx64.efi
5. Name the entry: USB.
6. Select Boot Option #1 and set it to USB. Windows should become Option #2.
7. Save and reboot. If the USB drive is present, it will boot instead of Windows.

--------------------
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 12 Feb 2020, 12:58, edited 31 times in total.

rcrsn51

#109 Post by rcrsn51 »

In rare cases, you may be unable to find a working video driver. For example, the i915 modesetting driver may fail with some Intel chipsets and give a black-screen-of-death.

The only solution may be to use the Xorg vesa driver instead.

1. In your GRUB menu, add "i915.modeset=0" to the kernel line (if needed).

2. The Starter Kit (prior to release -71) does not have the vesa driver OOTB. You have two choices:

a. Download and install it on-the-fly from the console prompt (assuming you have a network connection).

apt-get update
apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-vesa
startx
b. Get the squashfs module from below and drop it into the "live" folder of your install.

Remove the fake .gz extension.

-------------
Attachments
xserver-xorg-video-vesa_1%3a2.3.4-1+b2_i386.squashfs.gz
(16 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
xserver-xorg-video-vesa_1%3a2.3.4-1+b2_amd64.squashfs.gz
(16 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 02 Mar 2019, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#110 Post by rcrsn51 »

Fred's repo now has updates to the BT4Stretch Bluetooth system and the Batterup laptop battery monitor.

See Page 1 for links.

rcrsn51

#111 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is the Starter Kit on a Gigabyte Brix GB-BXBT-1900. It has a Celeron N2807 SoC and 4GB of RAM. Note the current CPU frequency.

It boots via a standard UEFI setup with both legacy CSM and Secure Boot disabled.

Everything works OOTB, including WiFi, Bluetooth and HDMI.

This is a silent fanless unit, aside from the internal 2.5-inch HDD.

Of all the bare-bones kits I have tried, this was the simplest by far. But it requires DDR3L low-voltage RAM.

-----------------------
Attachments
gigabyte.png
(175.25 KiB) Downloaded 1517 times

rcrsn51

#112 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is the Starter Kit on a 2008 Lenovo single-core Atom netbook with 1.5GB RAM.

This is a legacy BIOS boot via Grub4Dos.

These early Atoms prefer the Xorg "intel" video driver over the "i915" modesetting driver.

It has Broadcom WiFi and uses the vendor wl driver. The touchpad works fine with tapping enabled, but it's tiny.

It can run Firefox Quantum 61 with YouTube video+audio (at 360p). Also Chromium 66.

Batterup works reliably as the battery monitor.

Unlike XP, where the fan ran constantly, this setup quiets down when it is not under load.

-------------------
Attachments
lenovo.png
(152.78 KiB) Downloaded 1348 times

rcrsn51

#113 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is the Starter Kit on an HP-Compaq 6005 SFF desktop box with an AMD CPU and 4GB RAM.

Xorg uses the "radeon" modesetting driver here. It requires firmware, which is included in the Starter Kit. Everything works OOTB, including the DisplayPort video output.

The unit has an additional PCI sound card, which is handled nicely by Sound Card Selector.

Originally, this was a Win7 machine with standard BIOS boot. It was upgraded to Win10 but kept the BIOS setup (no UEFI/Secure Boot). I split off an ext4 partition for the Starter Kit. It boots by running Legacy GRUB from the Linux partition boot sector. Win10 boots from the GRUB menu.
Attachments
HP6005.png
(159.4 KiB) Downloaded 1285 times

rcrsn51

#114 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is the Starter Kit on an Asus C200MA Chromebook. It has a Celeron N2830 SoC, 2GB RAM and 16GB eMMC.

Like all Chromebooks, you need three skills before starting.
1. How to put the unit in "developer" mode so you can install a Linux.
2. How to install the legacy BIOS firmware (if needed) so it can boot off a flash drive.
3. How to revert the unit back to ChromeOS if something goes wrong.

The eMMC drive was wiped and switched to an MS-DOS partition table. The Starter Kit was installed to the eMMC and boots via Grub4Dos.

Like some other SoC chipsets, this machine has trouble with ALSA audio. Luckily, it has Intel WiFi/Bluetooth, so you can send audio output to a BT speaker via BT4Stretch. Or connect to an HDMI display, or use a USB sound card adapter with headphones.

Everything else works well. Touchpad control is excellent.
Attachments
chromebook.png
(150.17 KiB) Downloaded 1259 times

rcrsn51

#115 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is the HP-6005 with an NVIDIA GeForce 710B PCIe card. OOTB, it uses the Xorg nouveau modesetting driver, which works fine.

It is connected to a 19inch TV via HDMI. Lxrandr finds the right monitor and Sound Card Selector picks the HDMI audio.

Instructions for installing the vendor "nvidia" driver are here.
Attachments
nvidia.png
(250.58 KiB) Downloaded 1165 times

roadkill13

multimedia keyring

#116 Post by roadkill13 »

fredx181 wrote:
There is deb-mutimedia repository which can be activated by uncommenting it (remove the "#" ) from /etc/apt/sources.list, so becomes this:
Code:
#Debian Multimedia
deb ftp://ftp.deb-multimedia.org/ stretch main non-free

Then, in terminal:
Code:
apt-get update

EDIT: And install deb-multimedia-keyring:
Code:
apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring
apt-get update
Wouldn't work for me. Apt refused to update due to lack of pubkey. It could not download the multimedia keyring.

I resolved the issue this way:

wget http://www.deb-multimedia.org/pool/main ... .1_all.deb

I installed this file from the right click menu then ran apt update.

rcrsn51

#117 Post by rcrsn51 »

@roadkill: Thanks for this update. I have added a link on the main post.

fredx181

#118 Post by fredx181 »

@roadkill, thanks, your method should work OK, but strange... for me it works when I type "y" when it asks to install without verification, it didn't for you ?:

root@live:~# apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  deb-multimedia-keyring
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 37 not upgraded.
Need to get 10.7 kB of archives.
After this operation, 25.6 kB of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  deb-multimedia-keyring
Install these packages without verification? [y/N] y
Get:1 ftp://ftp.deb-multimedia.org stretch/main i386 deb-multimedia-keyring all 2016.8.1 [10.7 kB]
Fetched 10.7 kB in 0s (33.7 kB/s)           
Selecting previously unselected package deb-multimedia-keyring.
(Reading database ... 44777 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../deb-multimedia-keyring_2016.8.1_all.deb ...
Unpacking deb-multimedia-keyring (2016.8.1) ...
Setting up deb-multimedia-keyring (2016.8.1) ...
Fred

roadkill13

#119 Post by roadkill13 »

rcrsn51

#120 Post by rcrsn51 »

I did a fresh install of the Starter Kit and followed fred's instructions. They worked for me.

roadkill13

#121 Post by roadkill13 »

I did a fresh install of the Starter Kit and followed fred's instructions. They worked for me.
I have no doubt that the instructions work just fine for most. The instructions for making it work on deb-multimedia.org seem to presume that the method described should work. It also seems to acknowledge that it does not always work. Which is why the 2 options for resolving the issue are posted on that site as quoted in my previous post.

I am not complaining or attempting to report a bug. I just happened to be one of the folks that had an issue. I discovered I am not the only one using a debian or debian based system to have that issue and that there is a solution. I thought it might be appropriate to share that in the event someone else encountered the same thing.

I am enjoying the use of this starter kit. Thank you very much for that.

edited for grammar.

rcrsn51

#122 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is the Starter Kit on an HP 210-G1 laptop with a Core i3 processor and 4GB RAM. The video is i915 modesetting.

This was originally a Win8 machine with UEFI, but was refurbished to Win10 and legacy mode. I scrapped the Win10 and restored UEFI mode. HP has one of the simpler UEFI setups.

The unit has Intel WiFi/Bluetooth and requires the extra package firmware-iwlwifi. Everything else works OOTB, including HDMI output. It runs the Google Chrome browser as a squashfs module.

The battery no longer charges fully, so Batterup provides better control.
Attachments
hp210g1.png
(145.68 KiB) Downloaded 748 times

roadkill13

follow up on deb-multimedia repo

#123 Post by roadkill13 »

fredx181 wrote:

Quote:
There is deb-mutimedia repository which can be activated by uncommenting it (remove the "#" ) from /etc/apt/sources.list, so becomes this:
Code:
#Debian Multimedia
deb ftp://ftp.deb-multimedia.org/ stretch main non-free

Then, in terminal:
Code:
apt-get update

EDIT: And install deb-multimedia-keyring:
Code:
apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring
apt-get update

Wouldn't work for me. Apt refused to update due to lack of pubkey. It could not download the multimedia keyring.

I resolved the issue this way:

wget http://www.deb-multimedia.org/pool/main ... .1_all.deb

I installed this file from the right click menu then ran apt update.
Attached is a screenie of the terminal. It can be seen that APT refused to update using the deb-multimedia repo. It simply disabled it and left me off at the prompt. I will again install the keyring manually.

I did this after a clean reinstall.
Attachments
debdog-20180825203008.jpg
(123.27 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

fredx181

#124 Post by fredx181 »

roadkill13 wrote:Attached is a screenie of the terminal. It can be seen that APT refused to update using the deb-multimedia repo. It simply disabled it and left me off at the prompt. I will again install the keyring manually.
Yes, that's what I get also when doing apt-get update.
But I can install packages from deb-multimedia if I type y when prompted something like:
Install these packages without verification? y/n
To get rid of that question I installed the keyring with apt-get (and needed to type y again first).
Don't get me wrong, I believe you when you say that it works different for you, it's apparently a hit and miss thing.

Fred

roadkill13

#125 Post by roadkill13 »

Hi Fred,

Thank you for your response.

As you can see in the attached screenie I am not able to interact during the process so there is no possibility of forcing the update and installing the keyring from the cli. This happens with the starter kit and with the installs created from the mklive-stretch script. I have done at least half a dozen clean installs and have had the same thing happen each time.

The workaround was easy enough to figure out so that it is not a game changer though. I am having great fun.