The Debian-Stretch-Live Starter Kit

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#31 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Download Chrome:
Code:
wget https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/goog ... _amd64.deb

Start in an empty folder holding the repo2sfs script and the .deb file. Because you are working with a 3rd-party Debian package, you will run repo2sfs a bit differently:
Hi Bill, in case you don't realize, the google-chrome repository is included in your build of DebLive_Stretch-amd64-52.iso (see /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list), so just apt-get will do:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install google-chrome-stable
Fred

fredx181

#32 Post by fredx181 »

Moat wrote: I just built a working Stellarium .sfs with AptToSfs! Initially, by it's description I thought it was something a bit different (i.e. - building an .sfs from already installed packages) - but now see that it's functionally nearly the same as repo2sfs.
Yes, functionality is the same, but works in a different manner, apt2sfs installs the packages in chroot and repo2sfs just simply extracts the packages before making sfs.

BTW, I tried repo2sfs creating .squashfs for gimp, ffmpeg, bleachbit and all work fine.

@backi, you may want to try repo2sfs in Xenialdog, it could be that apt2sfs does too much "configuring", which may result in the problems you talked about earlier (just guessing, should be tested to be sure)

EDIT: To clarify more about apt2sfs and "configuring":
Most Debian packages have "pre" or "post" install scripts that are executed when installing/configuring).
Apt2sfs simulates normal install in a chroot (jail) environment (outside the running system).
Specially with packages that have systemd dependency, then sometimes unexpected things can happen, specially when unloading an SFS (on Xenialdog, which runs with systemd boot enabled).
(I must add that Debian-Stretch-Live Starter Kit runs by default WITHOUT systemd boot, so I expect no problems then with apt2sfs, unless you enable systemd-boot)

Fred

backi

#33 Post by backi »

deleted

rcrsn51

#34 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks everyone.

I am certainly aware of apt2sfs - I use it myself.

But I wanted a tool with a little more control over the build process.

rcrsn51

#35 Post by rcrsn51 »

How to install Master PDF Editor

Update: Fred has packaged v4.6.31 in DEB form with a complete dependency list and has added it to his repo. You can now build a squashfs module using a vanilla repo2sfs operation.

-----------------------

Go here and get a 32bit or 64bit Debian package.

You have two choices:

1. Do a regular install with Right-click > Install Deb. However, there is a missing dependency.

apt-get update #if needed
apt-get install libsane
2. Build a squashfs module.

a. Get repo2sfs from page 1.
b. Read the Chrome instructions (page 2) for doing a third-party build. Ignore the non-root stuff.
c. Add "libsane" to the EXTRAS list.
d. Load the module and run it from the Office menu.

Hint: This is a QT app. If your base setup already has the QT libs, you may want to omit them from the squash module.
At Pause A, go into /var/cache/apt/archives and delete their .deb files.

Here is another example: Some apps want ghostscript. But if you already have ghostscript via CUPS, there is no need to include it in the module.

-------------------
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 26 Jun 2020, 18:27, edited 6 times in total.

rcrsn51

#36 Post by rcrsn51 »

WiFi Drivers

The Starter Kit contains the drivers and firmware for many WiFi devices. The Intel internal PCI adapters need firmware. Run:

apt-get install firmware-iwlwifi #for newer models
apt-get install firmware-ipw2x00 #for older models
Or download a firmware-iwlwifi squashfs module from here. Put it in the "live" folder of your frugal install.

For the old Broadcom b43 WiFi driver, get a firmware package here.

Update: Linux is moving some of its Realtek rtlwifi drivers into a new group called rtw88. They will require firmware. Get it here.

------------------------

I have a combo package of various third-party Broadcom and Realtek WiFi drivers for k4.19.0-6-amd64. The drivers are:

1. Broadcom wl.
2. Realtek 8192cu/8192eu/8188eu. These are built from github projects and use vendor sources.
They may work better than the in-kernel versions or provide AP-mode to use with Wlanmaker.
3. Realtek 8812au and 8822bu. These AC-mode devices are not yet in the mainstream kernel.
4. Realtek internal PCI 8821ce.
5. Realtek 8811cu/8821cu. (see below)
6. Realtek 8723de.
7. Realtek 8188ftv-fu.

Download the package here. Then use right-click > Install Deb.

Some of these drivers may require a change to the PeasyWiFi config. Set DRIVER=nl80211.

Hint: To compile your own Broadcom WiFi driver, read here (steps 1 and 5).

Update: The D-Link DWA-171 USB WiFi adapter uses the Realtek 8821cu driver.
It is a dual-format device that initially presents itself as a USB flash drive, so Windows can auto-install the driver.
You need to switch it into a WiFi device.

a. Install the combo driver package above.
b. Install the package "usb-modeswitch".

apt-get install usb-modeswitch

c. Unplug/replug the adapter.
d. Run the command: iwconfig. It should show a 'wlan0' interface.
e. If not, do a reboot.

------------------

A note about antennas: Although the drivers in the rtl-wifi series are intended for dual-antenna cards, some laptop vendors have cheaped-out and only provided one antenna. So if the driver on your system happens to pick the absent antenna, WiFi will fail. Here is a sample fix:

1. Go to /etc/modprobe.d
2. Create the file "rtl8723be.conf"
3. Insert the line "options rtl8723be ant_sel=1"
4. Do a COLD reboot.

If that doesn't help, try "ant_sel=2".

----------------------
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 26 Jun 2020, 13:39, edited 39 times in total.

proebler

#37 Post by proebler »

Hi,
I like the concept that allows for a system set up with few applications which just meet my quite basic needs.
So I have tried the Debian-Stretch-Live Starter Kit.
I am having mixed success on different computers with a frugal basic install on an ext2 USB with only the palemoon....squashfs in the ‘modules’ directory.
I rename or delete the ‘changes’ directory when switching computers [so that a new ‘changes’ directory gets created].

Computer 1
: Lap top HP Elitebook 8460p, Intel core i5
no problem booting,
peasywifi detecting and connecting to wlan0

Computer 2: Lap top HP Elitebook 6930p, Intel core2
no problem booting,
peasywifi indicates:
Interface wlan0 is NOT active
Kernel module : unknown
I know from running a different system, that the built-in wifi is an Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300 (8086:4236), which uses the iwlwifi driver.

When I plug in a TP-Link wifi dongle [instead of trying to use the built-in wifi], then peasywifi detects it correctly,
kernel module rt73USB is used, and the connection is working.

Computer 3: Lap top HP nc8000, Pentium M, no built-in wifi
no problem booting when using forcepae
peasywifi detecting and connecting via the TP-Link dongle, no problem

Computer 4
: Desktop HP P4, 2GB RAM
appears to be booting up ok but at the end fails to connect to the Xserver and stops at the command prompt.

On the screen I see [remaining]:
Server terminated with error (1)
Closing log file
Sending discover .....
Sending discover .....
Sending select for 10.1.1.243
Lease of 10.1.1.243 obtained, lease time 86400
SIOCDELERT: No such process
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to Xserver: Connection refused
xinit: server error
root@live:~#

See also the attached log file

My questions:
Computer 2: How do I get the built-in wifi to work ?
Computer 4: Is a fix possible for the Xserver problem or do I have to accept that the P4 simply is too old for the task at hand ?

Thanks for any help,
regards
proebler
Attachments
Xorg.0.log.gz
Xorg.0.log from Computer 4 P4
(5.67 KiB) Downloaded 430 times

rcrsn51

#38 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks for testing.

Computer #2 is probably a firmware problem with the Intel WiFi. Run dmesg and check for errors. Using your USB adapter, run

apt-get update
apt-get install firmware-iwlwifi
Otherwise, download and install it manually from https://packages.debian.org/stretch/firmware-iwlwifi
The Starter Kit has some older Intel firmware. I was reluctant to include the whole package.

I don't know much about video, but computer #4 is probably a video driver problem. Your log has a reference to "mga" A google search of "debian stretch mga video" finds the package "xserver-xorg-video-mga"

So at the console prompt, try

apt-get update
apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-mga
Then try "startx" or reboot.

------------------

proebler

#39 Post by proebler »

@rcrsn51
The suggestion has worked for computer 2.
peasywifi now uses wilwifi; auto connect also works when so set.

I applied what was suggested for computer 4.
Instead of ending up at the command prompt, I now get to a blank [black] screen, no prompt.
Not what is wanted, but I guess it is one step closer to a working screen.
Alt+Ctrl+Del does what it is supposed to do.

I attach the new Xorg.0.log file [Xorg.0.log_stretch-live.gz] together with the corresponding log file from booting radky's Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE (RC-2), which DOES boot to a working screen on computer 4.
Thanks for helping.
proebler
Attachments
Xorg.0.log_Dpup-Stretch-7.5.gz
successful boot
(35.87 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
Xorg.0.log_stretch-live.gz
unsuccessful boot to black screen
(39.73 KiB) Downloaded 415 times

rcrsn51

#40 Post by rcrsn51 »

Line 471 of Dpup-Stretch loads swrast. The Starter Kit does not have it. So it may have something to do with accelerated video.

apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri
startx
If that fails, run dmesg from the console. Maybe there are some hints.

proebler

#41 Post by proebler »

Trying to apply the suggestion resulted in: Unable to locate package libgll-mesa-dri

I have however found a different solution.
Instead of installing xserver-xorg-video-mga, I have installed xserver-xorg-video-vesa.
That works.

I have now made a frugal install to the HDD of computer 4
It boots in approx. 35 sec from the moment Debian-Stretch-Live is selected on the Grub menu on this P4, not bad !

I note that the 'changes' directory size is 121MB after doing the apt-get update, apt-get install for vesa and setting some desktop preferences.
I assume that this is typical ?
I still only have Palemoon in the 'modules' directory, not using wifi.
Thanks again.
proebler

rcrsn51

#42 Post by rcrsn51 »

proebler wrote:Trying to apply the suggestion resulted in: Unable to locate package libgll-mesa-dri
The correct spelling is libgl"ONE"-mesa-dri.

However, it's good to know that you can still install vesa as a fall-back driver.
I note that the 'changes' directory size is 121MB after doing the apt-get update, apt-get install for vesa and setting some desktop preferences. I assume that this is typical ?
Debian tends to chew up a lot of space. That's why the Starter Kit only supports save folders.

Check out /var/cache/apt/archives. You can empty this with

apt-get clean
Thanks for testing.

[Edit] I looked at the Dpup Xorg again. I can't tell if it actually used the mga driver or if it also fell-back to vesa.

--------------------

fredx181

'changes' directory size is 121MB

#43 Post by fredx181 »

proebler wrote:I note that the 'changes' directory size is 121MB after doing the apt-get update, apt-get install for vesa and setting some desktop preferences.

The most part of that is from the files generated by apt-get update (cache and package lists, +/- 120MB).
That doesn't grow any further , see it just as "first time investment" in the save storage.

Fred

proebler

#44 Post by proebler »

I tried once more libgl1-mesa-dri together with the mga video driver.
It is a no-go combination in my case.

Dpup uses the mga driver, it does not fall back to vesa.

Have installed and successfully used the Pet2Stretch tool to install Figaro's pw manager.

proebler

rcrsn51

#45 Post by rcrsn51 »

proebler wrote:I tried once more libgl1-mesa-dri together with the mga video driver. It is a no-go combination in my case. Dpup uses the mga driver, it does not fall back to vesa.
I am now out of my depth on video issues. Maybe woof has some legacy version of the Xorg mga driver that still works?
Have installed and successfully used the Pet2Stretch tool to install Figaro's pw manager.
All Pet2Stretch does is unpack the PET, copy its contents into the file system and run the pinstall script. Don't expect miracles from it. :wink:

dancytron

#46 Post by dancytron »

proebler wrote:Trying to apply the suggestion resulted in: Unable to locate package libgll-mesa-dri

I have however found a different solution.
Instead of installing xserver-xorg-video-mga, I have installed xserver-xorg-video-vesa.
That works.

I have now made a frugal install to the HDD of computer 4
It boots in approx. 35 sec from the moment Debian-Stretch-Live is selected on the Grub menu on this P4, not bad !

I note that the 'changes' directory size is 121MB after doing the apt-get update, apt-get install for vesa and setting some desktop preferences.
I still only have Palemoon in the 'modules' directory, not using wifi.
Thanks again.
proebler
A big chunk of that 121MB is going to be the database to support synaptic/apt-get. I use bleachbit to keep it under control. Just running the defaults gets rid of about 70MB for me. Adding /var/apt/pkgcache.bin and /var/apt/scrpkgcache.bin under custom gets about another 50MB if I run it twice.

Unless I have added something major or there has been an update, my save folder runs around 15-20MB.

fredx181

#47 Post by fredx181 »

Update available for "upgrade-kernel". see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 511#985511

Fred

belham2

#48 Post by belham2 »

Hi Rcrsn51 (and Fred &all),

Finally set this up yesterday (64-bit version), has been running about 30 hrs on the laptop now, no problems. Really seemed weird not using Fred's script-build and instead having this base ISO. Gives others an option who are afraind and/or daunted by using the build-script. I like that all the Peasy stuff is in this ISO, because I use it all a lot. It's nice not to have to install them. Only thing I would say is maybe you ought to include as standard Fred's remaster scripts---I think we all (save for you :wink: ) use them a lot too.

Only other suggestions I would make are these:

1) it might be nice to have a screenshot program natively included, since Debian is a pain in the butt about getting a functioning one along with correct menu gui setup & options. I stole Fred's scrot setup from my DDogs, and only thing I changed was that I wanted scrot options with one click on the menu button, and not in its own menu category [I just modded the lxpanel config (pic below)].

2) possibly include firewall-ng as standard (just like pups), and already have it setup for people (putting the symlink in /root/Startup) so all they have to do is fire it up when first running "Firewall Setup" from the "Internet" section of the menu.

3) will somebody please kill :evil: the dam# middle scroll button flinging your desktop across the desktops "pager" windows? I know of no one who likes this. In other threads over the years, people constantly ask for this to be killed or given easy, granular control over (XFCE gives this, but why no other DE??). No one (puppy and/or ddog or any developer) provides this save for the XFCE gang. I want "pager" windows without touchy pyschotic behavior. Thus I shouldn't have to deal with the middle scroll wheel, if it's accidentally touched or brushed, flinging the desktop back and forth. It's annoying as heck, and a person shouldn't have to completely kill the "pager" windows (by setting it to one, or in my case, just "#" out of the lxpanel menu). Either give us fine control over it, or kill the darn thing. We shouldn't have to dig and root around (in .config files) making modifications just get rid of the middle scroll wheel acting pyschotic when it is barely touched and/or brushed :lol:

So, overall, all in all, rcrsn51, good stuff. Given another (ISO Starter Kit) option for the Dogs is great :D

I have one little personal last thing, though: does anyone know how I can make the eth0 tray monitor (Network Status Monitor Panel Applet) be any other colour than black? I use ethernet a lot on the laptop (on a lot of macines, actually). PeasyWifi is great, but it is not an "active" monitor like the NSM panel applet is. Thus the NSM "active" icon, by blinking constantly when accessing the Net and/or connecting/disconnecting, lets me know, or reminds me, when I've disconnected the ethernet cable (which is a lot, as I never leave any machine in the house connected unless it is directly being used). All my machines in the house have desktop-situated ethernet (and wifi) connections accessible for unplugging and re-plugging quickly. So, how do I get the NSM panel applet where I can see the darn thing????? Black isn't cutting it 8)
Attachments
Rscrn51-Starter-Kit.jpg
(115.74 KiB) Downloaded 1201 times
scrot-screenshot-one-click.png
(56.87 KiB) Downloaded 1212 times
network-status-monitor-panel-applet-nearly-invisible.jpg
(9.75 KiB) Downloaded 1205 times

rufwoof

#49 Post by rufwoof »

For jwm adding

<RootMenu onroot="4"/>
<RootMenu onroot="5"/>

to /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal disables the scrollwheel desktop switching
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

belham2

#50 Post by belham2 »

rufwoof wrote:For jwm adding

<RootMenu onroot="4"/>
<RootMenu onroot="5"/>

to /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal disables the scrollwheel desktop switching
?????

First, there is no JWM in Rcrsn51's release. So....?? Plus, we all (us regular users) know this trick from yrs ago via (iirc) mochimoppel's (or..???) great and often cited posts on doing exactly the /4 & /5 mod. But why is this even such as it is? No first user is going to put up with that. Thus, this leads to the logical next question....

......Second, everything I wrote iin my previous msg still applies:
...will somebody please, with ease & malice, please permanently kill Evil or :evil: the dam# middle scroll button flinging your desktop across the desktops "pager" windows? I know of no one who likes this. In other threads over the years, people constantly ask for this to be killed or given easy, granular control over (XFCE gives this, but why no other DE??). No one (puppy and/or ddog or any developer) provides this save for the XFCE gang. I want "pager" windows without touchy pyschotic behavior. Thus I shouldn't have to deal with the middle scroll wheel, if it's accidentally touched or brushed, flinging the desktop back and forth. It's annoying as heck, and a person shouldn't have to completely kill the "pager" windows (by setting it to one, or in my case, just "#" out of the lxpanel menu). Either give us fine control over it, or kill the darn thing. We shouldn't have to dig and root around (in .config files) making modifications just get rid of the middle scroll wheel acting pyschotic (with regards to pager windows flipping around) when it is barely touched and/or brushed Laughing
Why can the XFCE DE desktop (via rg66, battleshooter, et al) give us easy, clear "check one simple box to disable scrollwheel pager window changes" yet no other DE and/or pup/ddog OS give this to us?

It's one thing for us regulars to do the /4 & /5 trick, albeit if JWM is being used, but in all other cases, something needs to be done. I am not the only one who has brought this up before. Heck, people have even registered for only one time, one post, to come on murga and complain about this. But no one seems to hear it.

We need ya, radky ( :wink: ) or maybe fred or wiak, to nail this sucker to wall & solve it for once & all. Couldn't it be coded somewhere in the DE so that this is a one-click easy option for all DEs, and not just JWM???