The Debian-Stretch-Live Starter Kit

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rcrsn51

#61 Post by rcrsn51 »

How to make an Opera browser squashfs module (64bit)

1. Go to https://www.opera.com/ and get the amd64 Debian package.
2. It wants a non-root "guest" user. See the instructions on Page 2 for installing Chrome.
3. Extract the opera-guest-setup script attached below.
4. Start with an empty folder containing the opera-guest-setup script and the Opera .deb.
5. Run the repo2sfs third-party build. (see Chrome.)
6. Stop at Pause B: "fix anything in /tmp/repo2sfs". Open another terminal and run the opera-guest-setup script.
7. Finish the build. Load the module and run Opera from the Internet menu.

Update: Read here and here.

------------------

How to make a Slimjet browser squashfs module

Get a Debian package from the slimjet website.

Follow the above instructions, but use the slimjet-guest-setup script attached below.

------------------------

How to make an Iron browser squashfs module

Get a Debian package from the iron website.

Follow the above instructions, but with the following changes:
a. Include two extra packages: libnss3 libgconf-2-4
b. Use the iron-guest-setup script attached below.

-----------------------

How to run Firefox-apulse as a non-root user

1. Make a "guest" user.
a. In the System Tools menu, run Add New User
b. Create a user named "guest" with password "guest"
c. Accept the default list of groups, especially Audio

2. Extract the attached script and copy it to /usr/local/bin.

3. Go to /usr/share/applications. Open the file Firefox-apulse in a text editor (right-click).

4. Change line 5 to

Code: Select all

Exec=firefox-guest
-----------------------------

How to make a Hexchat squashfs module

1. Hexchat wants a non-root "guest" user. See the instructions on Page 1 for installing Chromium.
2. Extract the hexchat-guest-setup script attached below.
3. Do a regular repo2sfs build. Select the package: hexchat
4. Stop at Pause B: "fix anything in /tmp/repo2sfs". Open another terminal and run the hexchat-guest-setup script.
5. Finish the build. Load the module and run Hexchat from the Internet menu.

------------------
Attachments
hexchat-guest-setup.tar.gz
For Buster
(424 Bytes) Downloaded 96 times
firefox-guest.tar.gz
Updated for Buster Starter Kit
(176 Bytes) Downloaded 322 times
slimjet-guest-setup.tar.gz
(340 Bytes) Downloaded 349 times
iron-guest-setup.tar.gz
(528 Bytes) Downloaded 333 times
opera-guest-setup.tar.gz
(335 Bytes) Downloaded 353 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 20 Jan 2020, 10:58, edited 19 times in total.

darry19662018

#62 Post by darry19662018 »

rcrsn51 wrote:WiFi Drivers

I have a package of various third-party Broadcom and Realtek WiFi drivers for the k4.9.0-5 and -6 kernels in 32 and 64bit versions.

If someone asks, I will upload it and post a link.

------------------
To run my Broadcom wireless device

I had to add wlan0 entry to /etc/pwf/interfaces

Wlan0="wlan0"
reboot.
Working great.

rcrsn51

#63 Post by rcrsn51 »

With all due respect, that doesn't make any sense. The interfaces file just defines the two WIRED ethernet interfaces. It has nothing to do with wireless.

What Broadcom driver are you using? The in-kernel driver like bcma?

darry19662018

#64 Post by darry19662018 »

the peasy-wifi reported wlan0 as not activated when scanning so I added the wlan0 entry and rebooted and I had working wifi.

B43.

rcrsn51

#65 Post by rcrsn51 »

The repo2sfs script has been updated on page 1.

LeithR

#66 Post by LeithR »

Transfered request from viewtopic.php?t=110050
As the mediafire links have elapsed and as i've had to rebuild my laptop can you help with giving me updated links to item 2 in your following response
rcrsn51 wrote:

Here are the steps for your Laserjet. Let's hope that it goes more smoothly.

It looks like your printer is Postscript-capable. HPLIP handles Postscript printers separately - that's why they don't appear in the standard CUPS model list. A generic Postscript printer should be easy to install, but HP has added some enterprise features that require Python.

1. Connect the unit directly by USB. Once it's installed, we can look at networking.

2. Some Puppies, like Tahrpup, already have basic Python. Otherwise, get it here.

3. Install the http://www.mediafire.com/file/snqps3g5p ... 3.16.5.pet.

4. Install the hplip_scan-3.16.5.pet from the download link in How to Install your Printer in Puppy (if you have not already). You don't need hplip_print for Postscript printers.

5. For Slacko, install the libjpeg_fix-7.1.pet, just to be safe.

6. Install the hplip_plugins-3.16.5.pet attached below.

7. Extract and copy the attached PPD file to /usr/share/cups/model.

8. Run the CUPS wizard. Your printer may be listed as an "HP LaserJet 200 color MFP M276 Postscript", NOT as a "Laserjet Pro".
Many thanks,

rcrsn51

#67 Post by rcrsn51 »

The hplip-python-stuff package has moved here.. It has Python as a dependency, which will be auto-installed in the Starter Kit.

rcrsn51

#68 Post by rcrsn51 »

There are new, simpler instructions posted above for making Chromium/Chrome/Opera squashfs modules.

These need testing and feedback.

fredx181

#69 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Bill, I tested the setup for to make a chromium squashfs and it worked well.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 662#983662

EDIT:
Open the file /etc/apt/sources.list > add "security" to the second line
Code:
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free security
Are you sure that's correct adding "security" ?, I've never seen it that way, there's already a separate line in sources.list for security updates:

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main contrib non-free
Fred

rcrsn51

#70 Post by rcrsn51 »

Hi Fred:

I'm guessing that I saw those instructions somewhere, tried them and they worked.

But I just checked clean installs of the Starter Kit WITHOUT them and chromium was gettable.

So I removed them from the Chromium post.

Thanks.

Bill

LeithR

#71 Post by LeithR »

rcrsn51 wrote:The hplip-python-stuff package has moved here.. It has Python as a dependency, which will be auto-installed in the Starter Kit.
Many Thanks

rcrsn51

#72 Post by rcrsn51 »

LeithR wrote:Many Thanks
Are you confirming that you got your printer working?

rcrsn51

#73 Post by rcrsn51 »

Moved.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 09 May 2018, 11:54, edited 3 times in total.

rcrsn51

#74 Post by rcrsn51 »

Installing printer/scanner drivers in the Starter Kit

Note: In this version of CUPS, use the Add Printer button, not Find New Printers. You must also authenticate to the "root" user. Use the default password "root".

For some basic information, read here first.

HP:
Get the hplip-print-scan package from Fred's repo via apt-get. Important Note: See the update here.
Some HP enterprise-class units are not supported by the above driver. Post a request for help.

Canon:
Get the vendor Debian package(s) for your unit. A good source is here.
Older models use two debs, newer models only need one. Recent models have both 32 and 64 bit versions.
Use Right-click > Install deb.
Canon has their own scanner app called scangearmp. You may prefer PeasyScan and the SANE pixma driver from here.

Brother:
For 32bit systems, read below and use the debbi tool.
For 64bit systems, read the general infomation below. Then use the install procedure here.
Some Brother lasers work with the generic driver package printer-driver-brlaser. It has 32/64bit versions.
The Brother scanner driver needs another package. Run: apt-get install libusb-0.1-4
Read below for additional scanner information.

Samsung:
1. For older models, get the printer-driver-splix package via apt-get.

2. HP is now handling Samsung printer support. Go here.
a. Enter your Samsung model name, like "Samsung ML-2160". Download the Linux ULD driver package.
b. This is a combo 32/64bit package. Extract it and locate the "install.sh" script.
c. Open a terminal (F4)and run the script with: ./install.sh
d. This installs the driver. Then do a CUPS setup of the printer.
e. The installer includes many extra PPD and CMS files for other models in /opt. You can safely delete them.

3. Scanners also need libusb-0.1-4 via apt-get. If the Samsung scanner driver doesn't work, go here and get the xerox_mfp driver.

Epson:
The vendor provides Debian packages here, but installing them as usual adds a bunch of extra stuff.
For a smaller install, use the following procedure:
a. Extract the eppi script attached below
b. Copy it to /usr/local/bin
c. Install the driver from the command line: eppi xxx.deb

There are several choices for a scanner driver.
a. The standard SANE backend is "epson2". To use it in PeasyScan, enable "Preferences > Show advanced options". For newer models, see the instructions for the "epkowa" driver about providing the vendor:product ID codes.
b. Older scanners may work with the earlier "epson" backend. Open the file /etc/sane.d/dll.conf. Uncomment the line "epson" by removing the # symbol. Then comment out "epson2" by adding a #.
c. Install the alternate epkowa driver from here.

Legacy Ghostscript/foomatic-rip drivers: Read starting here.

Gutenprint drivers: Unlike Puppy, the Starter Kit does NOT include Gutenprint OOTB. Get the package "printer-driver-gutenprint" via apt.

Foo2xxx:
Some HP models like the old Laserjet 1000 series and the new Laserjet Pro P1102w can use the foo2xxx driver instead of HPLIP. Various Samsung, Minolta and OKI colour laser printers are also supported by this system. I have posted a combo 32/64bit package here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fis06h7mu ... ar.gz/file

However, the old HP 1000 laser printers require a firmware file be uploaded from the host computer to the printer.

My Puppy foo2xxx driver package contained these firmware files and handled the upload with a udev rule.
So when you turned on the USB printer, it would be auto-detected and the firmware would be uploaded.

But the above drivers contain none of this stuff, and I don't know if the udev rule would still work in Debian.

So I have built a stand-alone firmware installer tool for this group of printers. It is part of the above combo package.
Look for it in the System menu. Run it each time the printer is turned on.

Update: If someone wants to test the old udev rule, post a request.

----------------------

Brother Printers

Important: Some Brother drivers need Perl. After installing the driver, check by running: grep -r perl /opt/brother
If you need it, get the "perl" package via apt-get. Or just install it in advance to be safe.

Extract the debbi script attached below. Copy it to /usr/local/bin.

Start the installation process with your printer connected by USB and turned ON.

Go here and locate your printer.

You will download two files - the LPR driver and the CUPS wrapper driver. Get the DEB versions. Select Save to Disk and store them in /root. As an example, let's assume that you downloaded the files mfc210clpr-1.0.2-1.i386.deb and cupswrapperMFC210C-1.0.2-3.i386.deb.

Go to your /root folder and open a terminal. To display a list of files, type:

ls
Now type:

debbi mfc210clpr-1.0.2-1.i386.deb
followed by

debbi cupswrapperMFC210C-1.0.2-3.i386.deb
This procedure is an ideal situation for using Tab Completion to avoid having to type the whole filename. Try typing:

debbi <space> mfc <tab> <enter>
debbi <space> cups <tab> <enter>
In most cases, you can ignore any warning messages from the debbi script.

Debbi installs the printer driver and may also add a printer in CUPS attached to the USB port, ready to use.

Note: If your printer is networked, delete this USB printer and let CUPS discover the actual device. See below for more information about networked printers.

Note: Occasionally, the auto-installed USB printer may not work. Delete it and let CUPS rediscover the printer. Add it again.

However, your printer setup needs another step. The Brother driver keeps its own printer configuration settings separate from CUPS. In these settings, the default paper size may be set to A4. So if you are using Letter size, you must manually change it.

Go to /usr/local/Brother/.../inf and locate the file brxxxrc, where xxx is the name of your printer. With newer models, look in /opt/Brother. Open the file and change the PaperType from A4 to Letter.

Run the CUPS wizard and go to Manage Printers. Print a test page for the new printer.

Network Printers

Depending on the printer model, CUPS may auto-detect it with a device URI like

socket://192.168.2.15
However, the URI may look like

lpd://BRN_B7DD77/BINARY_P1
When you try to print, CUPS will fail with the error message "Unable to locate". This is because CUPS needs a way of looking up the IP address that matches the printer name.

a. Install "peasyport". Run it and scan your network for Port 515. This is your printer's IP address.
b. Open the file /etc/hosts and add a line like

192.168.2.23 BRN_B7DD77
Scanners

Go to http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux ... d_scn.html. The various models are covered by four drivers - brscan, brscan2, brscan3 and brscan4.

Locate your scanner in the lists and download the corresponding driver. Also check for any additional instructions that may apply to your device. Then install it using debbi:

debbi brscan2-0.2.4-0.i386.deb
Reboot and run PeasyScan from the Graphic menu.

Network Scanning

Brother has its own tool for setting up a networked scanner. The program name varies with the version of brscan that you installed. For example, determine the unit's IP address and run a command like:

brsaneconfig4 -a name=MyBrother model=MFC-J430W ip=aaa.bbb.cc.dd
If you are already using the hosts file for your printer, use this instead: (thank you to gyro)

brsaneconfig4 -a name=MyBrother model=MFC-J430W nodename=BRN_B7DD77
--------------------------
Attachments
debbi.tar.gz
(427 Bytes) Downloaded 122 times
eppi.tar.gz
(502 Bytes) Downloaded 111 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 11 Jun 2020, 13:51, edited 55 times in total.

rcrsn51

#75 Post by rcrsn51 »

Peasy DVD Player has been updated here.

nosystemdthanks

#76 Post by nosystemdthanks »

this would have really been useful to refractahrpup, since it seems to outline what people do to puppify a debian distro.

i would much rather use this than woof-ce, though i suppose the result is more of a debian-deriv which is less puppy-like, at least compared to what woof produces.

rcrsn51

#77 Post by rcrsn51 »

???????????

Is this a test report or just an off-hand comment?
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 15 May 2018, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.

nosystemdthanks

#78 Post by nosystemdthanks »

its actually a compliment that i would personally prefer this development path to woof-ce... (having tried similar on my own)

with acknowledgment to the suitability of woof for what it does.

i said that already, but since the wording was probably easy to take the wrong way, ive re-worded it. THAT SAID-- i may have misinterpreted what this is (it certainly looks like a starting point for a fairly puppy-like debian-based distro, please let me know if its not.)

pr in short:

"good idea?"

dancytron

#79 Post by dancytron »

nosystemdthanks wrote:its actually a compliment that i would personally prefer this development path to woof-ce... (having tried similar on my own)

with acknowledgment to the suitability of woof for what it does.

i said that already, but since the wording was probably easy to take the wrong way, ive re-worded it. THAT SAID-- i may have misinterpreted what this is (it certainly looks like a starting point for a fairly puppy-like debian-based distro, please let me know if its not.)

pr in short:

"good idea?"
It is a debian live based distro that is puppy like. It is made to boot either with porteus boot or with debian live boot.

It is one step past the starting point. The starting point is this script,

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111199

which can generate many different versions. This is a premade version with no applications for people who don't want to use the script. You probably more interested in the script.

It as its own website. https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/

rcrsn51

#80 Post by rcrsn51 »

BT4Stretch updated here.