Accepted protocol for posting?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
vektor_alian

Accepted protocol for posting?

#1 Post by vektor_alian »

Vic here ...

I am a new member. I have been reading this forum for a few years, usually ending up here after an internet search.

After finding a few really cool Puppies, I joined the forum with a good feeling. Searching through the posts to find little tidbits was fun, and I learned many things.

As I posted replies to threads years old I felt good, because I thought that there had not been a resolution to the topic. If someone was watching the thread they might find something interesting in my post. I also watch threads, waiting for new info.

It would be sad if there was a time limit on threads, or a limit on what you can post, within reason. All that info is gold to me.

I was recently accused of abuse of forum etiquette by necro-posting. Unfortunately I must have missed the memo about that. I apologize for any transgressions. I did not feel the need to read every single post on this forum before I posted.

It has been suggested to link to the post of yesteryear in a new post, as opposed to adding a new post to an old thread. Sounds good to me, though if someone is watching that thread there will be no benefit to them.

I look at this forum as an information repository, to learn from and add to, as I play with all the Puppies.

I really enjoy this forum and puppy, not in that order.

Vic

april

#2 Post by april »

I dunno what "necro-posting" means .
vektor_alian wrote:I was recently accused of abuse of forum etiquette by necro-posting.

Common sense applies and If I read an old thread and have some insight to it i post straight on the end of it .

Now if thats wrong well bugger me but I will keep doing it if I think it appropriate for the subject . I wont start a new thread thats just silly and I think like material should be kept with like especially as this forum uses very old software and the search process is hopeless.

vektor_alian

#4 Post by vektor_alian »

Vic here ...

Is giving a solution and a place to acquire that solution a "rubber stamp". Wow! If someone gave me some info I wanted and / or needed I would be grateful. If it did not apply to me I would move on to the next topic.

Vic

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Old, old topic, Vektor mate.

While there are legitimate pros and cons, there will always be people that don't get the when and why.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

vektor_alian

#6 Post by vektor_alian »

Well, using Stack Exchange as an example did not clarify anything for me. The same polarity of opinions exist there too. It would be nice to have a definitive answer but I am not holding my breath.

Vic

mostly_lurking

#7 Post by mostly_lurking »

I doubt that many people watch threads that are several years old - the users who created the original posts have probably long moved on -, so posting to all of them isn't going to help anyone; it just clutters the list of recent threads.

I'd say, if you have a solution to a problem that has occured several times in the past, choose ONE thread to post it on and leave the others alone, or create a new one in the appropriate forum section. And maybe ask yourself first, "is this really still relevant now, or do today's Puppies already provide a solution?". (In your case, you could have made a thread about the Pupserver thing in Additional Software > Network, describing what it is and how it can be useful, and posting a download link.)

Generally, I'm against necro-posting. In my opinion, bumping old threads is spamming: it's filling up the list of recent discussions with something that no one has asked for, and that is often not relevant anymore (for example, because the programs those topics are about have been superseded by newer ones). Every old thread that is brought back pushes the newer topics, the ones that are currently relevant and interesting to people, down the list. It also causes confusion and wasted time when people don't notice the date on the original post and reply to someone who is long gone.

There are only few situations that I can think of where it would be justified to resurrect an old topic - for example, if someone uses an older Puppy version and posts in its thread for help or feedback.

If you have followed this forum for several years, you might have noticed that users who dig up a lot of old topics have received quite a bit of criticism for it. Someone mentioned Pelo in response to one of your posts, and your reply indicates that you were quite aware that people would get irritated by your posts:
vektor_alian wrote:I was wondering how long it would take to get the first wisecrack.
You asked for an accepted protocol for posting. My suggestion would be: if you have to ask yourself, "will my posts annoy others?", it might be better not to submit them. That's not a definitive answer, and since I'm not a moderator I can't give you one, but maybe it's a useful "rule of thumb".

vektor_alian

#8 Post by vektor_alian »

If my post annoys just one person then I have crossed the line.

I read the thread attacking Mr. Pelo after I was initially criticized.

My comment about wisecracks was a generic one. I never seem to be able to please everyone, so i was not surprised.

Since there is not an official rule, other than opinions not to annoy, what is an appropriate amount of time for a thread to die. I will happily adhere to the general consensus.

Vic

Terry H

#9 Post by Terry H »

vektor_alian wrote:
If it did not apply to me I would move on to the next topic.

Vic
That was the issue that phat7 has highlighted, the next several topics were posts by you with the same information that you had repeatedly posted in the previous threads.

vektor_alian

#10 Post by vektor_alian »

I give up.

fredx181

#11 Post by fredx181 »

vektor_alian wrote:Since there is not an official rule, other than opinions not to annoy, what is an appropriate amount of time for a thread to die. I will happily adhere to the general consensus.
I think you are missing the point, it's not some sort of game of "how far can I go before annoying someone" or "how old is a thread".
Perhaps think for yourself first before clicking the "Submit" button, "Is this useful ?, Constructive ? (for yourself or anyone else)" or "Maybe better to open new thread about it ?" (instead of 10 times spreading around the forum)"
(and maybe read again some replies here, specially from mostly_lurking)

EDIT: And take a really deep breath :)
EDIT2:
I give up.
Is that all ? No "Thank You" for the help people gave ?

Fred

belham2

#12 Post by belham2 »

Semme wrote:Old, old topic, Vektor mate.

While there are legitimate pros and cons, there will always be people that don't get the when and why.

Well, I must admit I don't care one wit about the poster's (who started this thread) dilemma. Seems to me phat7 hit the nail on the head & pointed out the obvious.

What I do care about is seeing "Semme" posting again! :wink: If it's already been said somewhere else, in some other thread, my apologies, but Semme, it is really good to see you posting again. I was getting worried awhile back when you had been gone & absent for so long. I started to think the worst.

This forum is much the worse for wear without you here, as you've helped so many of us over the years that it isn't even funny.

Sending ya warm wishes & hopes for good health.

Regards,
Belham

jafadmin

#13 Post by jafadmin »

april wrote:I dunno what "necro-posting" means .
I means spamming a forum by bumping dead threads that flood the main page with a repetitive annoying post.

april

#14 Post by april »

I see thanks. Yes many would not be too good
Ditto belham2 Semme hope ya stay

TyroBGinner

#15 Post by TyroBGinner »

There was a topic that focused on criticizing pelo? I think I was about the only one who did criticize him...all - or almost all - others withdrew their objections while the vast majority of users supported him, including the admin. If you want to see real criticism, witness my original grievance that he promptly removed.

Don't worry too much, vector. If pelo did not get thrown out of the forum, you surely won't. You can get away with murder here

...metaphorically speaking. ;-)
Win10 and lovin' it!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

No, you can't. There are some arbitrary rules which are enforced on an ad-hoc basis, but there are absolute limits.

Moat

#17 Post by Moat »

april wrote:Ditto belham2 Semme hope ya stay
Ditto +1! Hey ya', Semme!! :)

Semme

#18 Post by Semme »

Well now, thank you kindly Senior Belham (April, Bob).

Your words might just be the nicest sentiments anyone's ever voiced to me in our cyber world. And no, I haven't exactly been absent as much as I've been unplugged and living life in the real world, spending more time with the people I'm closest to and rethinking what most matters for my personal well being. It's been said, "you're the average of the five people you spend the most time with." Well, I think highly of the few people I've shared the road with to this point, and I'm hungry to continue bumping my average.

Which brings me to this dated, but relevant article I came across a while back, one I'm sure will resonate..

http://www.newsweek.com/internet-making ... says-65593

Then there's this great little follow-up podcast here.

:cool: Enjoy!
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

cthisbear

#19 Post by cthisbear »

Semme:

I got a bit worried about you mate.

I thought that you may have >> Semme Retired.

Chris.