Booting with a Tracphone

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
vektor_alian

Booting with a Tracphone

#1 Post by vektor_alian »

Vic here ...

I tried to use a cheap tracphone with a microsd card to boot Puppy on my computer. Not surprised it did not work. Has anyone here tried this?

Vic

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

How did you install the bootloader to the SD card?

vektor_alian

#3 Post by vektor_alian »

That was quick...

I ran Puppy 5.2.6 Razor w/ kde and did the universal installer.

The Tracphone had formatted the 2GB microsd card to fat16 so I tried that first. No joy.

Then I removed the card and formatted to fat32 from Puppy with GParted. Ran universal installer then reinserted into phone. No joy.

Read an Ubuntu thread about phones not being able to "pretend" to be a usb controller.

Thanks for the reply.

Vic

8Geee

eeePC vs. uSDHC/Adapter Success!

#4 Post by 8Geee »

not surprised here either.

The phone has to have at bare minimum U-disk capability, that is a no-no in a "smart"phone. Both the phone and the pup have boot flags on. OS Competition is not allowed. But that chip outside the phone IS capable of running puppy with SDHC adapter. But it is a bit slower than a USB2.0 stubby... and older chips even slower.

Timing on this thread is a wow here... just tried this with BINFUL 8Gb uSDHC-c10 in its own adapter. eeePC 900a booted right up but was just a bit slow at 64 seconds. PupSysInfo yielded 16Mb/sec read.

Repeat with SanDisk Cruzer Fit 8Gb USB2.0 stubby (day-to-day choice). Boot time 54 seconds and read spead of 21Mb/sec.

BTW: this is the first time in over 5 years I've gotten a uSDHC/adapter to work in an eeePC. So I must point out the brand with adapter. SDHC full-size cards are hit/miss above 4Gb though some have said Transcend works upto 16Gb.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."