Need Printer recommendations for basic functions

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Mike Walsh

#16 Post by Mike Walsh »

Sage wrote:Same problems with inkjets and Brother lasers. Anybody want a free inkjet?! But, old HP inkjets generally work OK, if can get the extremely expensive genuine replacement cartridges and can tolerate the poor resolutions. For Linux, Epson is the one to avoid despite cheap replacement cartridges and superior output. Remember that the ink is more expensive than gold, w/w, and that the system purges a lot of it into the giant nappy (US: diaper) in the well underneath every time it's switched on.
Hmm; I dunno.

I agree with ya about the giant nappy.....plus the need to periodically reset the 'counter' (which, if you don't, eventually reaches the point where it point-blank refuses to work until you take it to an 'Epson Service Centre' (hah!))

I've used Epsons for more years than I care to count; a wee bit 'agricultural', perhaps, compared to some, but they just keep on chugging along. Currently, I get my cartridges from Prink, here in the UK.....which works out around a quid per cartridge (especially when you buy in bulk).

(You'll not catch me buying their cartridges at full RRP in the high street retailers. £50 for 4 cartridges? You have to be joking; I'm not made of money!)

I use 'em just often enough to stop the heads clogging up with dried ink, and the ink quality, although not outstanding, is more than good enough for what I use it for. And they're one of the easiest brands to get going under Linux; I don't think I've ever had any major problems with 'em at all.

--------------------------------------------

@ retry3:-

I definitely concur with everything that David says about Epsons. They're solidly built, and keep going for ever. I have an elderly Epson dot-matrix printer from the late 80's that still runs; OK, the ribbons are hard to come by, although I've found a wee supplier here in the UK who seems to have bought out the entire stock from one of the big retailers that dumped 'em when inkjets took over. And Epson are one of the very few that still supply the older-style PPD files that such things invaraiably need.

They're a funny bunch, Epson. Publicly, their stance is that 'We don't do Linux'......but their downloads page on the website still caters for just about every model they ever made that once had a Linux driver produced for it. You just have to 'dig' a little; the drivers are definitely out there.

I can't recommend them highly enough. And if Epson themselves don't have a driver, a good place to try is openprinting.org.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

retry3

#17 Post by retry3 »

matchpoint wrote:You've seen these, right? The second one here I use "Brother" as an example.

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openpr ... abaseintro

https://www.openprinting.org/printers/m ... er/Brother

No, sad to say, somehow I missed them, but I sure have spent a lot of time looking at them now. Many thanks.

So far it seems that almost all of the AIO printers listed are not available anymore from the major online sellers, at least in the $100 price range.

Also, trying to find reviews is extremely time consuming, as you no doubt know.

The personal recommendations and experiences of the forum members is the most valuable.

Still working at it.

Regards,
retry3

greengeek

#18 Post by greengeek »

Brother have been supporting Linux for a long time now, so should be on your short list.

It may be worth considering a model that has a scanner built in too - that way you can use it as a photocopier aswell as being able to scan things like passports, travel documents, photos, etc etc

I can't recommend a specific model as I tend to buy older Brother models for $1 on ebay etc - but I imagine any modern Brother AIO laser will be suitable.

davids45

Any potential printer?

#19 Post by davids45 »

G'day retry3,

If you're not too rushed in getting a printer, perhaps you could post details of one (or more) that seem(s) to you to fit your particular bill, and then see if anyone has one or has tried one with Puppy (or other Linux)? Brand and model.

Concerns in feedback would include:
Price
Availability (to you in OH)
Warranty
Intensity of use (how often would you print stuff and how much when you do? Collating? Double-sided?)
Ink (inkjet) or toner (laser) - cost and supply convenience; inkjets need more frequent "feeding"; lasers are fed less frequently but with more expensive 'tucker'; how quickly does it run out of toner/ink?
Linux driver available? (From where?)
Noise in use (lasers can noisy)
Weight (lasers can be relatively heavy)
Networkable (for multiple computers/devices at your place)?
USB or Wifi connection?
Footprint - space needed and ease of paper feed
And anything else of particular importance to you or to the person who already has one of your "maybe printers".

Happy hunting.

David S.

retry3

Seach update & Thanks

#20 Post by retry3 »

Thanks,
8Geee
J_D_
Sage
Mike Walsh
greengeek
davids45

Still considering all the input that you have been generous to give.

Have just about decided on a Laser

leading contenders now:
Brother DCP-L2550DW all in one
& Brother HL-L2390DW all in one
subject to change based on further advice.

Anyone have experience with either of these, or any advice at all?

Regards,
retry3

J_D_

Re: Seach update & Thanks

#21 Post by J_D_ »

retry3 wrote:Thanks,
8Geee
J_D_
Sage
Mike Walsh
greengeek
davids45

Still considering all the input that you have been generous to give.

Have just about decided on a Laser

leading contenders now:
Brother DCP-L2550DW all in one
& Brother HL-L2390DW all in one
subject to change based on further advice.

Anyone have experience with either of these, or any advice at all?

Regards,
retry3

No experience with those 2 models but I have the Brother MFC L2680 and it has been flawless for 17 months. I would have bought ink cartridges 3 times for an inkjet by now. It does the whole all in one thing but I only print from my laptop. For document printing I do not see how you could beat it.

retry3

Printer outcome.

#22 Post by retry3 »

Thanks again to all who offered advice, here is an update.

I bought the Brother HL-L2390dw about a year ago from NewEgg for $140.

I have been unable to get it to work under puppy, despite all the excellent directions here on the Puppy Forums and the less than good directions from Brother. I tried for a long time.

The only way I am able to use it is under Windows, by creating an PuppyPrint file in Windows and and then putting files in it under Puppy. Not always with success, and very tedious.

The printer itself is solidly built, but the operating procedures are arcane and the display window is too small and dim and hard to see.

The printed output is good if you can get it dark enough.

As far as I'm concerned, Puppy and printers just doesn't work out well; I will struggle along with what I have set up now.

Regards
retry3

ozsouth

#23 Post by ozsouth »

I have a hll2395dw - works great - took some setup - especially scanner. I have made you 2390 .pet files. Seems you used 32bit tahrpup & 64bit tahrpup64, so have made .pet files for 32bit AND for 64bit tahr/xenial/bionic pups (NOT 64 bit Slacko pups). Open appropriate .pet in Rox-Filer file manager - will install. Restart X & try adding printer via Setup menu. Scanner is trickier.
Attachments
Brother-HLL2390DW-64.pet
64bit HLL2390DW Brother printer driver
(62.52 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
Brother-HLL2390DW-32.pet
32bit HLL2390DW Brother printer driver
(59.38 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

retry3

Thanks

#24 Post by retry3 »

Hey ozsouth -

What a great reply! I am really impressed with the effort you made to figure things out and make pets; very generous.

It will push my computer skills (almost none) to the limit to try the pets out, but I am determined to do it.
Will advise results, but health probs will slow things to a crawl.

Regards

retry3

Brother Printer install pet ozsouth

#25 Post by retry3 »

Hey ozsouth -

Just to let you know that I am slowly working on this, but am at a standstill and don't know what to do next.

So far:
Downloaded your Brother pet for tahr64. and thought it got installed.

You said to next restart X.

I don't know how to do that, so I rebooted, hoping that would do it.

Could not find or open anything that looked like it was a Brother install program.

Got confused and clicked on some things in archive, I think, and wound up with a file in .programs named Brother64 files which I will try to attach a screen shot of FWIW.

The Brother pet file is listed in my root directory also, I am not sure it really got installed.

At this point I am thinking of deleting everything that has to do with the pet install and starting over with a new download, but I am afraid of messing up something important.

Your thoughts/advice.

I appreciate your efforts on my behalf, very generous of you.

Regards
retry3

ozsouth

#26 Post by ozsouth »

When you download the .pet, default is to place it in root folder.
To be sure it's installed, look under /root/.packages & see if a file with a name including 'brother' and 'files' is there. If it is, proceed:
In the main menu, you need to choose Setup, then Printer Wizard (or similar). This is for all Puppy printer connections - not Brother specific.
From there you need to connect with method depending on whether you are using usb or wireless. Usb should be straightforward, as your printer should be in the list of options to connect.
For wireless, need to know printer ip address & use Appsocket option, following socket syntax suggested on that page.
In each case you will then need to select the make & model next.

retry3

Thanks

#27 Post by retry3 »

Hey ozsouth

SUCCESS ! A million Thanks to you!

Just ran a test page and it looks A- Okay.

Best Regards

retry3