Puppy 2.xx

Please post any bugs you have found
can8v

Puppy 2.xx

#1 Post by can8v »

I am actually not sure if this is by design or if it is a bug, but if it is by design I would like to suggest an alternative.

The Universal Installer (UI) is a huge improvement of the old collection of installers that performed similar functions, however; when installing to an ATA hard drive UI expects to find vmlinuz, pup_2xx.sfs, and initrd.gz all in the same directory. If UI doesn't find these files all in the same directory one of two things happens. If the .sfs file is in the user specified directory then UI completes the installation minus the missing vmlinuz, and/or initrd.gz files. UI does not even give an error to let the user know something is up. The other thing that can happen, takes place when the .sfs file is the missing file. In this case a sanity check error comes up and the installation is aborted. I recommend the same treatment if the vmlinuz or initrd files are not in the user specified directory. This could also be solved by asking the user to give the location of each of the three files individually, instead of only one of any one of the files. Or perhaps a really been warning screen in red and yellow telling the telling the user that all three files must be in the same directory. I stumbled upon this because it is my usual practice to set up my frugal installs as follows
/pup_save.3fs
/pup_2xx.sfs
/boot/vmlinuz
/boot/initrd.gz
From what I have read on the forum ther is a number of people that have used this arrangement. It works quite well. Apparnetly however, most of them were sharp enough to copy all three files into one directory before using the UI, for a Normal install, or performed their Normal install from the CD. Well that is my two cents.
-Jason