Need help with installing Firefox pupget

Booting, installing, newbie
kpfuser

Need help with installing Firefox pupget

#1 Post by kpfuser »

As my first foray into the puppy world (besides figuring out how to play Bubbles, that is) I tried my hand at installing a PupGet package. After going through a video tutorial and making a few notes I was able to sail through the installation of what was supposed to be Firefox 1.5.0.3. A few rough spots, however, did come up. Here they are:

1. After selecting Firefox 1.5.0.3 in the respective PupGet window, hovering over the selection with the mouse as requested showed 'GTK2APPS 1870K' as a special requirement for this package. Based on what I read and saw before, I took this to mean that GTK2APPS must be a required package to be installed together with Firefox. Thus I searched the PubGet list looking for it but to no avail. So what is GTK2APPS after all? If it is a pre-installed package in the live CD (where I operate from) why display it as a requirement and increase the level of anxiety for us newbies another notch or two?

2. I was hoping for a desktop icon for Firefox but I got none. However, I found the app under Menu>Internet. How can I create an icon on the desktop too?

3. I was a bit deflated when I saw that what I downloaded was NOT the advertised Firefox 1.5.0.3 but Deer Park Alpha 2 1.5.0.3. Yes, I know of the similarities (I worked for a long time with Deer Park Alpha 2 as my browser in a WinXP installation) but I know of the differences too (extensions, themes, and updates). Thus my question is, where can I download the official version of Firefox 1.5.0.x from and not the alphas, betas, or similar avant garde stuff?

MU

#2 Post by MU »

kpfuser

#3 Post by kpfuser »

Thanks Mark!

I downloaded the .pup file to my desktop. However, when I tried the DotPup installer I couldn't figure out how to install an already downloaded file. Can anyone help with this ?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

MU

#5 Post by MU »

You can click on it in Rox-filer (the "Home"-icon on your desktop).
That will install it.

Mark

kpfuser

#6 Post by kpfuser »

Success!!

Thank you both gentlemen. Mark, your suggested method is a newbie's dream-come-true! A special thanks for this!

Firefox 1.5.0.7 is up and running! There was one unexpected quirk though. During installation I was not asked whether to set Firefox as my default browser. I was asked instead whether to overwrite the existing 'Default Browser' directory. I said 'yes' and Firefox replaced SeaMonkey (half of SeaMonkey, to be more accurate, as SeaMonkey Mail & News is still intact). I consider this a fortunate turn of events as I wanted to uninstall SeaMonkey all along ,and now my work is half-done. The slight downside of this is that under Menu>Internet there is no Firefox icon while the one for SeaMonkey is still there. Can this be remedied somehow? And while we are at it, how does one put new icons (shortcuts to apps) on the desktop?

Let me repeat at this point that I operate out of a live CD plus a USB flash drive, which may have an impact on some things here.

MU

#7 Post by MU »

Dotpups are intended to be installed like this, by the inventor GuestToo.

I later just added the Dotpup-downloader, because some people prefered such a user-interface for our Wiki-collections.

To create a new Desktop-icon, simply drag it from Rox to the desktop.
Then rightclick -> set Icon.

For firefox this might be /usr/lib/firefox/firefox.

Icons are in
/usr/share/pixmaps
and
/usr/share/midi-icons

To modify the menu-entry, you might replace
/usr/local/bin/mozstart
with this code (not tested)

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

firefox "$@"
Mark

kpfuser

#8 Post by kpfuser »

Mark,

Thanks again! One last question before putting this topic to rest: As a total Linux novice, where do I begin my education on how to navigate around the Linux file structure so that I can view and modjfy specific files?

MU

#9 Post by MU »

puh, no idea...

you basically have
/bin
/lib
/share

You will encounter this concept in variations, like
/usr/bin
/usr/lib
/usr/share

While /bin is for system-programs (the core system), /usr/bin is for standard applications.

/bin has binaries and scripts, comparable to .exe in windows.
/lib has libraries (.so), comparable to .dll in windows.
/share is additional stuff like icons and documentation.

Not every program follows this concept.

Dotpups very often install to /usr/local/DotpupName/ or /root/my-applications or /root/my-roxapps.
This has "historical" reasons.
So often start-scripts called from the Dotpups-menu can be found there (and be modified if required).

I think good online-resources are introductions to linux in general, or especially to the "bash", the standard shell for Linux.

Here are some links:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/bash

Mark

kpfuser

#10 Post by kpfuser »

Thanks Mark. I don't think anything else is needed on this topic. It is time for me to do some work with the Linux basics before returning because, as what's-his-name said, I shall return. Bye for now.