How to boot multiple OS on multiple partitions?

Booting, installing, newbie
Linux NOOB

How to boot multiple OS on multiple partitions?

#1 Post by Linux NOOB »

Hello again!
After testing the Puppy 4.3.1 capabilities and performance on an HP OmniBook XE3 running PIII 800MHz Coppermine CPU and the present 128 Megs of RAM with very good success I have decided to venture onto my originally intended location which is my Acer Aspire One AO533 with 2 GB of RAM and a 1.66GHz Intel Atom N455 which apparently is also a 64bit processor.

I just cloned and replaced my 5400RPM HHD with a 1TB SSD and set up 3 partitions, a 250 for the current Windows 7 Starter, a 244GB for possibly attempting Windows 10 which might be a bit much for this little netbook, and a third 454 GB partition.

Of course Acronis True Image set up multiple Windows partitions within the 250 GB partition I set up to be dedicated primarily to the Win7 originally installed including the original OEM recovery partition used for reinstallation or repair.

My question now is the boot loader? In the past experimenting with Linux I used multiple hard drives and temporarily disabled the Windows Drive so the Windows Boot loader would not be altered, installed the Linux on another with it's own bootloader and simply toggled between either/or by the F11 key which would give me the option of which drive to boot from after RAM test is performed. Sounds like a bit of monkeying around but this gave me more options for trying different flavours without possibly disrupting my Windows OS or should I say more freedom to bumble blindly around like a bull in a china shop:oops:

Is it possible to use separate boot loaders in separate partitions for the same reason explained above that can be selected at BIOS boot? As it is I upgraded the Win7 to Win10 Home edition while the old 250GB 5400RPM HHD was still installed and found it a bit demanding so I ripped it out by the roots and used the OS installation on the recovery partition and spent 3-4 days installing updates! Yes there are that many typical of Windoze!

The SSD has livened up this 2010 Netbook and I might try Win 10 on a separate partition so I don't have to go through the updates again!

I don't feel like using live all the time and would just prefer permanently installation in one of the partitions. Yes live is good to try out the OS to see how it performs etc. but is there a way to totally control where and how the boot loader is installed and performs when permanently installed on the SSD?

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

If you want Windows 10 on this SSD.
I would install it first and let the Windows 10 installer do what it wants to the SSD.
Windows 10 wants partitions done in a specific way.
When you get Windows 10 fully working.

There is a installer made to run in Windows to install Puppy.
Lick
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61404

It should install a Puppy version and make a boot loader that will boot Windows and Puppy on the computer.

Take the time to read about Lick and what it does before using it.
The last few pages of the Lick topic should be talking about any issues to know about.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Linux NOOB

#3 Post by Linux NOOB »

Thanks for the info big pup. In the past when I didn't disable drives to save the bootloader on Windows one thing I do remember is it was easier to install Windows first and the Linux bootloader during the Linux installation. Even back then I remember forum members suggesting install Windows first. I guess since I still have the other intact drive I should try that questionable Win 10 with the SSD drive to see if it helps as an alternative for 7 which will probably be discontinued in the not too distant future. Right now both empty partitions are formatted as fat. I also have that Windows installer in my collection of downloads and if not running live the installer asks where you want the installation of multiple hard drives and partitions are found. I guess for now I can try my assortment of thumb drives in live to see how this netbook works and I will most likely use something a lot newer than 4.3.1 including 64 bit. If I remember correctly when I found out this simple little Atom was 64 bit I booted up a 64 bit OS to test and it worked just fine. There are more and more 64 bit distros out there now and some of the Linux are now only 64 bit with 32 being discontinued. It is a shame being maxed out at 2GB because I have found modules that are 4gb but the processor only supports 2gb according to the specs.

hamoudoudou

LICK Very easy to install and to use

#4 Post by hamoudoudou »

LICK Very easy to install and to use
when you boot, you can boot windows and LICK. Something strange is that Windows is provided as recover version, and will launch check disk, push any key to stop starting then choose start windows 7 normally.
That is ok.
If you choose LINK your Puppies are Listed. Mine was zestypup, replaced to day with Artfulpup. Nothing wrong
Wonderful tool, even if you have pendrives and USBs port available.
try it :)
Attachments
windows ntfs.jpg
Retroprecise (Csipesz) from hungary installed too for a demo by s-kami
(63.85 KiB) Downloaded 87 times