[SOLVED] Upgrading Tahr 6.0.5 to 6.0.6

Booting, installing, newbie
jeffneedle

[SOLVED] Upgrading Tahr 6.0.5 to 6.0.6

#1 Post by jeffneedle »

Hi. I have a friend on whose computer I've installed Puppy Tahr 64-bit 6.0.5. I've given him an old monitor and Puppy Tahr is oddly the only distro that the monitor supports. Slacko won't communicate with the monitor. I've discussed this before.

For this user, Chrome is a necessity. But, as described, 6.0.5 doesn't support sound in Chrome unless certain libraries are installed.

So, two questions:

1. Quickpet doesn't upgrade to 6.0.6. I thought it would, but it doesn't. How do I upgrade without a complete reinstall?

2. Alternatively, which libraries should I install in order to enable sound? A previous post indicated that 6.0.6 has these libraries already installed.

As always, thanks.
Last edited by jeffneedle on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo again, Jeff.

Y'know, please don't take this the wrong way. But I cannot understand where you've got this idea that Chrome needs 'special' stuff installed for audio. I've been producing Puppy builds of Chrome for quite some time now (by necessity, 64-bit, since that's all Google now deliver for Linux) and, although we've had to come up with various workarounds for other things (like the 'not-running-as-root' thing, GTK 3.0, newer NSS libs, etc - including a recent one to stop crashing when downloading/uploading), I can in all honesty say, hand on heart, that audio in Chrome has never been one of the problems.

(And to try and make things easier, I've attempted to keep the upgraded, newer stuff that Chrome wants within the Chrome directory itself, so as not to interfere with older versions of the same items that other apps/programs may want to use... I've had a fair bit of assistance with these, I don't mind admitting; credit where credit's due!)

Recent FireFox builds have caused all sorts of problems vis-a-vis PulseAudio; are you certain you don't mean this?

EDIT:- Just a thought; how are you installing Chrome? Are you using the Puppy packages, or are you trying to use the .deb directly from Google? Because if you're doing the latter, that's half the trouble; it mucks up permissions throughout Puppy. It's written for Debian/Ubuntu, which are multi-user systems; Pup, of course, is not. It's single-user.....and 'root', at that.

Mike. :wink:

Mike.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Mike Walsh is the Puppy Chrome expert, so follow his advice and help!!!!!

About the upgrade from Tahrpup 6.0.5 to 6.0.6.

How is Tahrpup 6.0.5 installed?
Full or frugal?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

#4 Post by mikeslr »

There are only two categories of applications which need to be kept up to date. Everything else is "bells & whistles". The first category is security. Note the date on which Tahr 6.0.5 was published/last updated by 666philb. As far as I recall, only openssl may have been updated*. But Ubuntu doesn't change the version number when it updates. See jist's post, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 57addb1ab1 and LateAdopter's response about 2 posts down. So it may be worthwhile to plug openssl into PPM's Search box and install it even if it bears the same version number.

Edit: Important. Remember to update Puppy Package Manager before using it to install "current openssl".

The second category is Web-browsers, partly for security, partly to access graphic-rich websites. You've already been advised to use current versions of web-browsers which have been published for Puppies.

* Ubuntu may have addressed meltdown and spectres. I don't know how to accomplish what (if anything) Ubuntu did for Trusty Tahr under Tahrpup.

mikesLr

Edit: See my next post.
Last edited by mikeslr on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 18:48, edited 3 times in total.

jeffneedle

#5 Post by jeffneedle »

Okay, I'm stunned. I installed openssl and yay! Sound in Chrome! For the record, I installed Chrome from an .sfs file I downloaded following a link here.

Many thanks!

mikeslr

Chrome needs latest openssl

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Thank you jeffneedle for reporting the effect of installing the latest openssl on the functionality of Chrome. I wouldn't have guess that.

Edit: Important. Remember to update Puppy Package Manager before using it to install "current openssl".

Guessing the 'Chrome-clones' may be similarly affected.

Regarding other upgrades to Tahrpup64-6.0,5: It seems that while looking for more recent versions of applications built into Tahrpup-6.0.6 (32-bit) I had the good sense to accumulate similar pets for Tahrpup64. :D See Attached screenshot.

But, then I forgot I had done so. :(

The screenshot may include some "older" pets I thought worth storing. And, obviously, you may not want to install all.

mikes
Attachments
capture21838.png
Some applications updated since Tahrpup64 last published
(36.32 KiB) Downloaded 191 times