Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Oct 2018, 21:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
PBurn, any version 4.3.6 - 4.3.16, for Linux Mint
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
Author Message
PappyPuppy

Joined: 30 Sep 2016
Posts: 342

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2018, 11:46    Post subject:  PBurn, any version 4.3.6 - 4.3.16, for Linux Mint  

Can I take a .pet and explode it and find the other dependencies they list and build this for Linux Mint?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
PappyPuppy

Joined: 30 Sep 2016
Posts: 342

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2018, 12:30    Post subject: I posted this because I just installed k3b
Subject description: I ran k3bsetup and it still does not recognize any CDs
 

So I wanted to just install pburn as it's a reliable tool and it doesn't have a 20 minute install process only to fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
PappyPuppy

Joined: 30 Sep 2016
Posts: 342

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2018, 12:44    Post subject: I think the TSST corp DVD-ROM TS-H352C
Subject description: Is not capable of writing
 

I'll have to buy a writer or use an external one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
PappyPuppy

Joined: 30 Sep 2016
Posts: 342

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2018, 12:50    Post subject: I had forgotten I had an external drive
Subject description: So k3b is burning now
 

It's dark above my pc and I hadn't seen it there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mikeslr


Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 2691
Location: 500 seconds from Sol

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2018, 15:04    Post subject: Probably Can't port PBurn to LinuxMint  

Hi PappyPuppy,

You didn't mention which version of LinuxMint. Sometimes that will be a factor in determining whether an application built for Puppy can be ported to another Distro. When an application contains compiled binaries and libraries, those must be compatible. To find out what parts are in an application/pet, you can download and unpack it (i.e., Right-Click>UExtract). PBurn, however, primarily consists of bash-scripts and some text files. There's a good chance that bash-scripts are transportable, but sometimes the bash-versions, and so the commands used in the scripts, will differ from one version to another.

Each distro will have its own method of packaging applications. However, when a pet (or SFS) is transportable, what you can do is unpack puppy app, then copy its files and folders into the corresponding locations in the other distro. Not very elegant.

The reason I think that PBurn can't be ported, is that it was built as a Rox-app. Linux-mint, to use it, would have to include Rox (? perhaps not as its default file-manager?) but also have Rox configured to use Rox-apps.

Beyond that, PBurn doesn't include any compiled binaries. In the place where compiled binaries might be located is a bash-script. What that suggests to me is that somewhere among the bash-scripts within PBurn are calls to compiled binaries otherwise located within Puppy, and those binaries make use of firmware and drivers libraries, also already located within Puppy. In other words, PBurn is a front-end to the components (binaries, firmware and drivers) which are necessary for the Puppy Operating System to access and make use of the external peripherals, CDs and DVDs.

Suggest running LinuxMint, you do things its way. As I recall, in addition to apt and synaptic, LinuxMint has an application which categorizes applications and will provide assessments of each available application you can install.

mikesLr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
PappyPuppy

Joined: 30 Sep 2016
Posts: 342

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2018, 19:20    Post subject: Re: Probably Can't port PBurn to LinuxMint  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi PappyPuppy,

You didn't mention which version of LinuxMint. Sometimes that will be a factor in determining whether an application built for Puppy can be ported to another Distro. When an application contains compiled binaries and libraries, those must be compatible. To find out what parts are in an application/pet, you can download and unpack it (i.e., Right-Click>UExtract). PBurn, however, primarily consists of bash-scripts and some text files. There's a good chance that bash-scripts are transportable, but sometimes the bash-versions, and so the commands used in the scripts, will differ from one version to another.

Each distro will have its own method of packaging applications. However, when a pet (or SFS) is transportable, what you can do is unpack puppy app, then copy its files and folders into the corresponding locations in the other distro. Not very elegant.

The reason I think that PBurn can't be ported, is that it was built as a Rox-app. Linux-mint, to use it, would have to include Rox (? perhaps not as its default file-manager?) but also have Rox configured to use Rox-apps.

Beyond that, PBurn doesn't include any compiled binaries. In the place where compiled binaries might be located is a bash-script. What that suggests to me is that somewhere among the bash-scripts within PBurn are calls to compiled binaries otherwise located within Puppy, and those binaries make use of firmware and drivers libraries, also already located within Puppy. In other words, PBurn is a front-end to the components (binaries, firmware and drivers) which are necessary for the Puppy Operating System to access and make use of the external peripherals, CDs and DVDs.

Suggest running LinuxMint, you do things its way. As I recall, in addition to apt and synaptic, LinuxMint has an application which categorizes applications and will provide assessments of each available application you can install.

mikesLr


I am using somewhere around Linux Mint 17. I had just not realized that I had already installed an external cd/dvd burner from Staple's about a month or so ago. It worked fine - I made the burn so I don't absolutely need pburn - I just always like pburn - it's been a reliable tool and it's WAYYYYYY smaller than k3b. And to be honest, I never have problems with the length of the filename being Joliet or whatever. Pburn just makes all those decision for me.

At least I got the burn made.

Like a dunce I accidentally extracted the pburn I had downloaded the .pet for but it seems that version 4.3.6 and version 4.3.16 are the same. So I probably over-wrote my usr/local/lib, my usr/share, my usr/bin, etc.. with the .pet. But pburn is probably still ok. I'll test it some time - at least it runs still.

Maybe someone could tell me how to unpack a .pet and have it simply go under some directory so I can look at it first. I was exploding the pburn .pet on my fatdog only so I could then transport it to another machine. I know it's better to make it on that machine though. Sometimes you get lucky transporting binaries - .deb and ubuntu are the majority of linux.
So I'll have to look into the nature of a Rox app - perhaps once I understand it, I can port it to Linux Mint somehow. For now I'll just use k3b.



Quote:

What that suggests to me is that somewhere among the bash-scripts within PBurn are calls to compiled binaries otherwise located within Puppy, and those binaries make use of firmware and drivers libraries, also already located within Puppy. In other words, PBurn is a front-end to the components (binaries, firmware and drivers) which are necessary for the Puppy Operating System to access and make use of the external peripherals, CDs and DVDs.


Got ya ... it would be a job to port it given the above statement.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
jrb


Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Posts: 1139
Location: Smithers, BC, Canada

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2018, 23:39    Post subject: Re: PBurn, any version 4.3.6 - 4.3.16, for Linux Mint  

PappyPuppy wrote:
Can I take a .pet and explode it and find the other dependencies they list and build this for Linux Mint?

You might try pburn from https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/i386/Packages/Included/. Freds got it set up as a .deb already. Here are the deps:
Code:
libc6, libgtk2.0-0, gtkdialog, dvd+rw-tools, pfind, vamps
You can install it with "dpkg -i". pfind is also in this directory.

Good Luck, J
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Mike Walsh


Joined: 28 Jun 2014
Posts: 4239
Location: King's Lynn, UK.

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2018, 10:01    Post subject:  

@ PappyPuppy:-

I have to agree with Mikeslr. pBurn, as written for its native environment, makes multiple calls to binaries/libraries/other scripts which are already an integral part of Pup itself.

True Linux programming/coding skill comes with learning to write the scripts that tie all these together. I produce quite a few packages of various sorts for Puppy.....but I mostly do so where I can 'assemble' pre-compiled binaries & libraries from other sources.

My scripting skills are absolute rubbish, and I'll be the first to admit that. I will never, ever be able to approach the skill levels of our multiple 'devs', and the small core of regular 'coders' who form, and contribute to the 'Woof-CE' team.....who have helped to make Puppy what it is today. These guys can talk, think & write in code as naturally as most of the rest of us do something simple like breathing..!

Packages do get 'ported' from one distro to another.....but it's an involved business. If you want to pull .pet packages to bits so's you can study the structure, etc., the easiest way, I find, is to install and use SFR's 'UExtract'. This, I believe, is a Puppy 'special'; you won't find this anywhere else.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87864

Hope some of that helps.


Mike. Wink

_________________
MY PUPPY PACKAGES | 'Thanks' are always appreciated!
--------------------------------------

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
PappyPuppy

Joined: 30 Sep 2016
Posts: 342

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2018, 10:04    Post subject: I will try Mike Walsh and JRB's methods
Subject description: Just side-tracked for a day
 

I've sometimes simply taken a .deb file and somehow got it to work on Fatdog - how I don't know - it just worked. Linux is linux - there's not much that's different.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Semme


Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 7835
Location: World_Hub

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2018, 10:12    Post subject:    

UExtract utilizes "ar" via rt-clk.
Code:
ar -x *.deb

_________________
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 3472
Location: holland

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2018, 12:14    Post subject:  

Aside from installing the correct dependencies:
One important thing for most gtkdialog based apps is that /bin/sh should be a symlink to /bin/bash (instead of /bin/dash, which is the case on most Debian/Ubuntu based distro's) otherwise it won't work properly in most cases.
So, do:
Code:
cd /bin
ln -fs bash sh

Or, official way:
Code:
dpkg-reconfigure dash

And choose "No" (then sh will be symlinked to bash)

Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
PappyPuppy

Joined: 30 Sep 2016
Posts: 342

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2018, 13:16    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
@ PappyPuppy:-

This, I believe, is a Puppy 'special'; you won't find this anywhere else.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87864

Hope some of that helps.


Mike. Wink


Cool to have one universal unzipper queen bee script.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
PappyPuppy

Joined: 30 Sep 2016
Posts: 342

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr 2018, 10:21    Post subject: I will be trying this later today
Subject description: Here's why - the k3b burn has damage already.
 

Mike Walsh wrote:
@ PappyPuppy:-

I have to agree with Mikeslr. pBurn, as written for its native environment, makes multiple calls to binaries/libraries/other scripts which are already an integral part of Pup itself.

True Linux programming/coding skill comes with learning to write the scripts that tie all these together. I produce quite a few packages of various sorts for Puppy.....but I mostly do so where I can 'assemble' pre-compiled binaries & libraries from other sources.

My scripting skills are absolute rubbish, and I'll be the first to admit that. I will never, ever be able to approach the skill levels of our multiple 'devs', and the small core of regular 'coders' who form, and contribute to the 'Woof-CE' team.....who have helped to make Puppy what it is today. These guys can talk, think & write in code as naturally as most of the rest of us do something simple like breathing..!

Packages do get 'ported' from one distro to another.....but it's an involved business. If you want to pull .pet packages to bits so's you can study the structure, etc., the easiest way, I find, is to install and use SFR's 'UExtract'. This, I believe, is a Puppy 'special'; you won't find this anywhere else.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87864

Hope some of that helps.


Mike. Wink


I'm not blaming k3b but I'm the kind of person who will stick with something that worked well for me. There could just be some small issue or it could be a random error but the CD looks awfully nice - no scratches. I have to redo the CD on my Mint machine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1256s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0135s) ][ GZIP on ]