Puppy Remaster Program needs updated from 18th Century

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
belham2

Puppy Remaster Program needs updated from 18th Century

#1 Post by belham2 »

Hi all,

Does no one do remastering any more?

Why is the Remaster Program for all pups still the one nearly a decade ago developed by Barry (and not tweaked at all since)?

How is it that we still cannot have a the simple ability to click a "button" in a GUI and have the remaster program save every single "Personal" modification done by the user?

Why can Fred of DDog fame make a fantastic remaster program that does this? For anyone who has not used Fred's QuickRemaster, your jaw will simply drop when you use and then think about puppy's remaster morass.

Furthermore, why can the developers of AntiX-Linux also do the same thing with their remastering program, making it simply beautiful by asking you in a GUI whether you want to do a "Personal" remaster (incorporating all your personal settings into the remaster) or a "Non-Personal" remaster (not incorporating your personal settings)??

I don't have the skills, I wish I did. But is there no one in our murga-land universe to bring the puppy remastering program of Barry's out of the dark ages and into the 21st century?

Again, does no one remaster any more in Puppys? And if they do, do they just tolerate with the third rate nature of the program and think it has to be that way?

It does not!! Nic007 has tried some things before, but I am finding his remaster scripts no longer work with a lot of newer puppies. Is there anyone out there doing any work on this end??

Every time I do a remaster in one of my Ddogs, I cannot help but smile.

Every time I do a remaster in a puppy, I want to scream and pull my hair out at the idiocy of not being able to easily incorporate all my personal settings into the remaster ([i:23zf7ie0]constantly dragging and dropping everything is 18th century stuff, people!![/i:23zf7ie0]).

[Edit: to correct & give appropo high-fives to "AntiX" for the awesome remaster program in AntiX/MX_Linux]
Last edited by belham2 on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

anticapitalista

#2 Post by anticapitalista »

Just a point of information/correction - It is actually antiX that has developed the remastering stuff used by MX Linux.

belham2

#3 Post by belham2 »

anticapitalista wrote:Just a point of information/correction - It is actually antiX that has developed the remastering stuff used by MX Linux.
Sorry, Anticapitalista, I get in the habit of putting both AntiX and MX-Linux together (since I/we use both around the house) when referring to things and/or talking to people. Keep forgetting MX is the community spinoff and the real brains behind it all is the AntiX stuff :wink:

(I corrected my first post)

zagreb999

remaster

#4 Post by zagreb999 »

pupremaster-1-carolina.pet

remasterx-1.0.pet

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

Puppy IS a community project so instead of complaining offer to update it.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

belham2

#6 Post by belham2 »

@zagreb999----you really think that either of those programs you listed comes even close to the ease of use of Fred's (or Antix's) remaster programs? They don't. They are stuck in the dark ages same as Barry's original script in regards to what I specifically wrote.

@BurnIT[i:5ax3j9fl]"......I don't have the skills, I wish I did. But is there no one in our murga-land universe to bring the puppy remastering program of Barry's out of the dark ages and into the 21st century?"[/i:5ax3j9fl]

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

My scripts definitely work with OFFICIALLY RELEASED PUPPYS up to Tahr 605, I've tested most myself. Did you use any of the scripts in the final remaster suite I released? Can't vouch for anything newer or any unoffical/experimental puppy builds as I don't use any of them. I also think it will be unreasonable to expect that remaster scripts for official releases should work with anything else, it won't. BTW - It's not true that the remaster scripts are all the same from 10 years ago. For instance, the scripts used for the puppy 4 series are totally different from the puppy 5 series although the GUI 's and the workings of the application may look-alike.

mfb

#8 Post by mfb »

belham2,

If you download the attached “ram2sfs
Attachments
image.png
(79.11 KiB) Downloaded 2480 times
ram2sfs.gz
after download, rename to ram2sfs and make executable
(400 Bytes) Downloaded 607 times
Last edited by mfb on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 11:32, edited 4 times in total.

musher0

#9 Post by musher0 »

Hi mfb.

musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

musher0

#10 Post by musher0 »

nic007 wrote:My scripts definitely work with OFFICIALLY RELEASED PUPPYS up to Tahr 605, I've tested most myself. Did you use any of the scripts in the final remaster suite I released? Can't vouch for anything newer or any unoffical/experimental puppy builds as I don't use any of them. I also think it will be unreasonable to expect that remaster scripts for official releases should work with anything else, it won't. BTW - It's not true that the remaster scripts are all the same from 10 years ago. For instance, the scripts used for the puppy 4 series are totally different from the puppy 5 series although the GUI 's and the workings of the application may look-alike.
Hi, Nic007.

If I may,
a link to the thread where you are offering your remaster script would be helpful for the newbies, I think.

TIA.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#11 Post by musher0 »

Hi belham2.

You wrote:
> Why is the Remaster Program for all pups still the one nearly a decade
ago developed by Barry (and not tweaked at all since)?
That is a H U G E exaggeration. Barry's original remaster script has been reviewed
and edited by quite a few Puppy developers along the years. (Pardon, centuries,
:lol: to stay in the same frame of mind as you are!!!)

One I like is remasterX-1.0, by shinobar, available here. It is dated 12 Nov. 2016.
That is Two-Thousand-Sixteen. Is that too old for you? It's certainly not from
the XVI-th Century !!! :lol:

You are right about one thing, though. Remasters are less popular than they used
to be. I think that is largely due to woof-CE coming to the fore in Puppy
development. As you no doubt know, instead of remastering, you can alter the woof-
CE database to obtain a personalized result.

I believe Sailor Enceladus has become a master of that "databasing" technique.
(Sailor? You around? Correct me if I'm wrong.)

As for me, at the time of GrumpyWolf's MyWolves (~ 2010; that would be the Middle
Ages, for you, belham2!)), I was a remaster maniac. I did one every third day, IIRC
-- with Dougal's script.

Then one day, Dougal stopped updating his script, more or less saying: "Guys?
The simplest way to do a remaster is to copy everything in a dir and re-squash."

Eh? What? Copy? Re-squash? Who needs a script for that???!!! It is basically
what mrb is offering in his little script. With his, you don't even need to copy and
re-squash, it is done for you. Shucks. ;) No more exercise for the great soccer
player's fingers! ;)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

nic007

#12 Post by nic007 »

nic007 wrote:My scripts definitely work with OFFICIALLY RELEASED PUPPYS up to Tahr 605, I've tested most myself. Did you use any of the scripts in the final remaster suite I released? Can't vouch for anything newer or any unoffical/experimental puppy builds as I don't use any of them. I also think it will be unreasonable to expect that remaster scripts for official releases should work with anything else, it won't. BTW - It's not true that the remaster scripts are all the same from 10 years ago. For instance, the scripts used for the puppy 4 series are totally different from the puppy 5 series although the GUI 's and the workings of the application may look-alike.
Hi, Nic007.

If I may:
a link to the thread where you are offering your remaster
script would be helpful for the newbies, I think.

TIA.
Last edited by nic007 on Thu 29 Mar 2018, 03:10, edited 2 times in total.

nic007

#13 Post by nic007 »

musher0 wrote:
Hi, Nic007.

If I may:
a link to the thread where you are offering your remaster
script would be helpful for the newbies, I think.

TIA.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 779#958779

nic007

#14 Post by nic007 »

musher0 wrote:Hi belham2.

You wrote:
That is a H U G E exaggeration. Barry's original remaster script has been reviewed

One I like is remasterX-1.0, by shinobar, available here. It is dated 12 Nov. 2016.

You are right about one thing, though. Remasters are less popular than they used
development. As you no doubt know, instead of remastering, you can alter the woof-

As for me, at the time of GrumpyWolf's MyWolves (~ 2010; that would be the Middle
Ages, for you, belham2!)), I was a remaster maniac. I did one every third day, IIRC
-- with Dougal's script.

The simplest way to do a remaster is to copy everything in a dir and re-squash."

what mrb is offering in his little script. With his, you don't even need to copy and
player's fingers! ;)

BFN.
RemasterX is just a more user-friendly GUI for the existing builtin remaster scripts, I don't think any improvements regarding the remaster process itself were attempted (at least that is what I found when I tried it at one stage).

belham2

#15 Post by belham2 »

nic007 wrote:
musher0 wrote:Hi belham2.

You wrote:

-- with Dougal's script.

player's fingers! ;)

BFN.
RemasterX is just a more user-friendly GUI for the existing builtin remaster scripts, I don't think any improvements regarding the remaster process itself were attempted (at least that is what I found when I tried it at one stage).

Hi Nic007,

Yeah, that's the whole point. If Musher would have took the time to actually read Shinobar's comments & thread, then he would have realized that Shinobar directly said what he was doing was just making cosmetic changes to the script and how it appears in the GUI. So, yup, overall the puppy remaster script is STILL, lol, stuck in the 18th Century.

It is just amazing what Fred & anticapitlista have done with the remaster process. You can't help, after using either one, to get a bit more than disappointed when you go back & and use the puppy remaster script.

It (Remastering) could be sooooo much better in all Puppies (and thus get passed around to everyone else's pups they make). I just wish i had the skills to make it happen. Using Fred's QuickRemaster and/or Anticapitalista's ReMaster in AtniX/MX-Linux is like riding in a modern day car as opposed to the Model T version (Barry's) that still is included by default in Puppies :cry:

I can only assume "remastering" no one does any more, except for a few. Funny, in the DDogs, it has become a feature, used frequently by all users (just read the threads). Same for AntiX/MX-Linux forums. People love it when remastering has been made like those two have done.

P.S. Musher, you are so far gone that you can't even realize it. To the average Linux user, I mean, you are just clueless----especially with what you wrote. Most users are not like us here. Hence, the Puppy remaster script IS outdated and very not user friendly given it cannot simply, for example, via one click, include ALL Personalization of a user's system. That's just terrible. To try to explain otherwise is to be an old person locked away in an old land thinking that one's old thoughts are what is & should be the norm. "Hear me, my friends. I am Musher! And I tell you that Horseback is still the only & fastest way to travel the world!!!" Come out of your cave, man! It's the 21st century. We have running water now, even toilets!! :lol: :lol:

musher0

#16 Post by musher0 »

Hey, belham2.

I really don't care what you think of me.

There was a reason BarryK had his remaster script operate step by step. That
reason did not change with time, it is still valid today: are you remastering for
yourself only or for your friends? Remastering for your friends is worth the extra
work, IMO.

Plus it would be nice if you showed some respect for our founder. Sure he left a few
stumps here and there, maybe his interfaces and choices seem clumsy to us ten
years later, but he was clearing ground! BarryK the Puppy Linux pioneer cleared the
ground for us! Remember that!

I notice that you also handily bypassed mfb's solution -- to serve your objective, no
doubt. You shouldn't have. I suppose you paid no attention to nic007's work either?

BTW, what is so famous about the DOG's remaster script anyway? Care to explain?
Care to provide some scrots? Maybe a comparison of the features? Is that below
you? Or God forbid, are you trying to sell us wind? Was it plundered from Debian, or
is it original work? (BarryK's remaster script was entirely written by him, AFAIK.)

Finally, no one in this thread has mentioned the third option, which is to transform
your pupsave into an adrv_xxx.sfs -- instead of doing a remaster. It does not even
need to be an adrv_xxx.sfs, it can be a regular sfs that you load at startup.

Then your Pup_xxx.sfs remains in its original state (pristine), but you have available
all the material that you have added in your old pupsave; plus you can start a new
pupsave if you wish. IMO, this is the cleverest, most adaptable and fastest solution
these days.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

zagreb999

remastering of Swiss cheese

#17 Post by zagreb999 »

Woof-CE is a Swiss cheese, full of holes,
anti-harmonious...!
only debian with synaptic is
fully harmonious...
it is impossible to remaster
Woof-CE!!!

musher0

Re: remastering of Swiss cheese

#18 Post by musher0 »

zagreb999 wrote:Woof-CE is a Swiss cheese, full of holes,
anti-harmonious...!
only debian with synaptic is
fully harmonious...
it is impossible to remaster
Woof-CE!!!
Oh, please.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Burn_IT

#19 Post by Burn_IT »

As I said to start with, it IS a community project so stop complaining and do something yourself, or with friends??!!!
Of course anything you do produce will need to be approved before being adopted officially.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

nic007

#20 Post by nic007 »

Let's be very clear here. The builtin scripts that come with official releases of Puppy ARE generally very good with a few shortcomings. It does a good job even if you use it as is. I've altered a few things which I thought were necessary and think are improvements...and released it as part of my own remaster suite (three of the scripts in my suite are based on and relies heavily on the builtin remaster scripts). I used the builtin remaster script in Precise 571 Retro as "master or "base" for these scripts. There are certain versions of Puppy where the builtin remaster script seems to be broken (Racy comes to mind) but that's an exception. And - as musher0 said, there are more than one way to achieve what you want without using the remaster script eg. the use of an adrive to record your changes. I've even done a how to for that on this forum. Just needs a bit of searching..let your fingers do the walking through the yellow pages.