Problems with installing cryptsetup

Please post any bugs you have found
WIckedWitch

Problems with installing cryptsetup

#1 Post by WIckedWitch »

Newbie to the forum but with 43 yrs software engineering experience - so here goes:

Hardware: IBM ThinkPad R40e, 2.4 Ghz Celeron M, 1GB RAM, 160 GB IDE HDD

Was recently given the h/w and have put above OS on it.

PROBLEM:

I have installed python3, tk toolkit, gcc, gnat, sml and swi-prolog, and scrub. No problems after installing these with PPM.

If, however, I install cryptsetup from the ubuntu main repository, the package installation reports a missing library (libatm.so.1). Thereafter, if I shut down, the shut down fails and the computer ends in a kind of limbo state whence the only exit I've found is to press the power-down switch on the laptop. Thereafter it won't boot properly.

This is not an undue problem for me as I have cryptsetup on other machines. I'm just posting it here so people know about it. A fix would be great but not disastrous if not forthcoming.

Please advise of any fuller details that may be needed to resolve.

Happidaze,
The Wicked Witch
Sometimes I post mindfully, sometimes not mindfully, and sometimes both mindfully and not mindfully. It all depends on whether and when my mind goes walkies while I'm posting :?

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

Cryptsetup requires a kernel support. I managed to install cryptsetup in precise and slacko 5.7 using the kernel of xenialpup but I have abandoned my experiments. I would suggest to switch the kernel and see if it ends up in a success.

watchdog

#3 Post by watchdog »

I tried to install cryptsetup in tahr 6.0.6 with kernel from xenialpup: the dependent package upstart breaks the puppy's shutdown. Do not install it.

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

Success! I propose for testing the following procedure for tahr 6.0.6 (with kernel from xenialpup 7.5) and cryptsetup:

-install cryptsetup and all dependencies but upstart;
-copy from xenialpup in /sbin mount.crypto_LUKS and umount.crypto_LUKS;
-move in /usr/sbin the attached filemnt1 (a modded script from my experiments in precise) (remove the fake .gz);

-to mount a luks file:

Code: Select all

filemnt1 /path-to/file-luks.4fs
-to unmount it open another console and again:

Code: Select all

filemnt1 /path-to/file-luks.4fs
Attachments
filemnt1.gz
(6.7 KiB) Downloaded 261 times

WIckedWitch

#5 Post by WIckedWitch »

Many thanks to you, watchdog. I've noted your method but now no longer need it as, among my hardly-ever-jettisoned kit, I have a ThinkPad R50e that runs Lubuntu 16.04 LTS well and that does not the cryptsetup problem.

The R40e is now running Win XP (vomit) for a small VBA job for a client but I'll put it back into tahrpup afterwards and try what you suggest.

Happidaze :-)
Sometimes I post mindfully, sometimes not mindfully, and sometimes both mindfully and not mindfully. It all depends on whether and when my mind goes walkies while I'm posting :?