Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 21 Jun 2018, 22:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
Epson Printer Failure in Xenialpup64-7.5 [SOLVED]
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
Yoliano

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2018, 20:21    Post subject:  Epson Printer Failure in Xenialpup64-7.5 [SOLVED]  

I hope that I am posting in the correct Forum for this issue. If not, please advise me. There are 2 PC’s in our home:

1 – HP 1000 Notebook – Laptop, which my wife uses. It has a Celeron Dual Core processor running at 1.8 GHz, with 4GB of RAM and 500GB HD. Formally, the O.S installed was Tahrpup64-6.0.5, but I have just upgraded it to Xenialpup64-7.5 as a natural progression. It does not have Windows of any flavor installed. It was bought new with Ubuntu preinstalled, (now deleted). For printing, it connects by USB cable to our Epson XP 211 (3 in one 1) printer. In Xenialpup everything is working well, except the printer, (which worked perfectly in Tahrpup).

I know my way around CUPS and installed in Xenialpup the same printer driver as that used in Tahrpup and which functioned perfectly there, namely:
epson-injet-printer-escpr_1.4.4-1lsb32_amd64.pet
Also the scanner drivers:
epkowa_fd600-2.29.3.1.pet
esci_interpreter_fd600_gt_f720-0.1.1.pet

Testing the printer, the result is the print command is stopped, with the error report: “Filter failed”.
While the Scanner works perfectly, using Xsane.

2 – Toshiba Satellite C75D-B7215 Laptop, which I use. It has an AMD A8 Quad Core processor running at 1.5 GHz, with Radeon R5 Graphics, 8GB of RAM and 1TB HD. I have also installed Xenialpup64-7.5 on this machine, together with the same printer and scanner drivers listed above. For printing, it connects by USB cable to the same printer as above, In this case there is no problem, both printer and scanner function perfectly.

I should mention that in both PC’s I have made a frugal install of Xenialpup. Also booting is from separate ISO CD’s, made independently, with separate downloads on each respective PC. The ISO CD’s are not interchangeable, each will only boot on their respective PC. In both downloads the md5sum checked OK, after download and after burning to CD. Finally, I checked file locations. The CUPS files are in: /usr/lib/cups. There is also: /usr/lib64/cups which is a symlink to /usr/lib/cups. I have searched around, but have not been able to find the cause of the printing failure in the HP Notebook and I will greatly appreciate an help that can be given.

Last edited by Yoliano on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 19:23; edited 1 time in total
davids45

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2018, 21:05    Post subject: A 32-bit solution
Subject description: May be similar in 64-bit?

G'day,

In 32-bit Pups, I need to add a symlink in /lib:

A link named "ld-lsb.so.3" has to point to "ld.2.2x.so" (screenshot)

to get over my 'Filter fail' for my Epson inkjet multifunction printer. Like yours, it scans fine and reports ink levels (inkgui.pet) but won't initially print.

Different 32-bit Pups have different numbers after the "ld.2." but all work so far for the link.

Some 32-bit Pups already include this link so there may be other causes if your 64-bit has the lib link.

This forum's Printers section has several excellent threads on setting up various printers of many brands.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61885 is one Epson thread.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59015 is probably the most comprehensive thread and no doubt has an answer for you somewhere in its 28 pages Very Happy .

Sometimes but not often I have had to add a different gs version and sometimes rarely a missing libjpeg file, but mostly with a new 32-bit Pup, it's the missing ld-lsb.so.3 symlink.

Maybe a 32-bit answer will help you with your 64-bit question.

David S.
symlink-for-Epson-printing.jpg
 Description   the often missing link for Epson 32-bit; symlink "ld-lsb.so.3" pointing to the "ld-2.27.so" or other twenty something lib file
 Filesize   46.71 KB
 Viewed   155 Time(s)

symlink-for-Epson-printing.jpg

Yoliano

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2018, 16:55    Post subject: Epson Printer Failure inXenialpup64-7.5  

Hi David S.

Many thanks for your speedy response, I appreciate your interest in my problem. I will investigate your suggestions and report back to you shortly. This may take a few days, as I have many other priorities at the moment. So please bear with me.

Thank you for the links, which you have provided, to sections of this Forum which you think may be useful. Actually, I trawled this Forum before making my original post and found most of the pages you linked. But thank you all the same for your thoughtful gesture, your links will be useful for returning to those pages, and for others who have similar problems. In my trawling I did not encounter anything which helped me directly with my problem. Which is why I finally submitted my original post.

What I find most difficult is understanding why I can install my Epson XP 211 Printer on one Laptop with complete success and when I attempt to install it on another with exactly the same O.S., Printer/Scanner Drivers, CUPS Version and setup, the print command fails. What is intervening in this? Is it some obscure difference between the AMD and Intel CPU's? Is it some obscure difference between the Firmware of the different manufacturers of the Laptops? Or is it some other variable? If you, or anyone else, has some understanding of this situation, I will be most grateful for your enlightenment.

Yoliano
Yoliano

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2018, 14:35    Post subject: Epson Printer Failure in Xenialpup64-7.5  

Hi David S.

My inquisitiveness broke my discipline! I made some time in between my other priorities, to take a look at your suggestion and I am happy to tell you that you have hit the bullseye. In my Toshiba Laptop, which has printing, I opened /lib to check the file and symlinks you mention. I found the following:

(1) - /ld-2.23.so
(2) - /ld-linux.so.2
(Symlink to /lib32/ld-linux.so.2)
(3) - /ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
(Symlink to /ld-2.23.so)
(4) - /ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3
(Symlink to /ld-linux-x86-64.so.2)

I then went to the HP Laptop, which suffered the printer failure, opened /lib and discovered that only (1), (2) and (3) above were present. (4) was missing. I immediately made and saved the Symlink in (4). Then firing up the Printer and CUPS, I went to the Maintenance Menu, clicked on "Make Test Print" and held my breath! For a few seconds nothing happened, but then the Printer came to life and printed a beautiful test page, with colour samples, a graduated Greyscale and text in a very refined font. So, with great relief, I continued and printed a document from a file on the computer, with an excellent result. Problem solved! My wife can now adopt the Xenialpup O.S.

So very many thanks indeed David, for your wise counsel. I truly appreciate your help. I thank you too for the time and attention you gave to my problem. The puppy Forums continue to live up to their reputation.

The only question left is, how does it happen that, in one installation all the files required are present, while in another, one file is missing, all other factors being equal? Any thoughts?

Cheers, Yoliano.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2018, 14:59    Post subject:  

Quote:
both PC’s I have made a frugal install of Xenialpup. Also booting is from separate ISO CD’s, made independently, with separate downloads on each respective PC.

The ISO downloads are different. Idea
The ISO burn did not go completely 100% perfect. Idea

Installs do sometimes not go 100% perfect.

Yoliano

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2018, 17:18    Post subject: Epson Printer Failure in Xenialpup64-7.5  

Hi Bigpup,

thanks for your response and clear thoughts. I should have known, from the fact that the two C.D's are not interchangeable and will only boot the PC on which they were made, that there are specific differences between the two installations. Which have shown up in this particular manner. Also, of course, there maybe other differences which have not yet been manifested. So I will have to keep a watch on the behaviour of these two installations.

Thanks again for your interest,

Yoliano.
davids45

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2018, 20:29    Post subject:  

G'day Yoliano (and Mrs Yoliano),
Glad to hear your problem was fixed with the missing link.
If you can edit your thread title (edit the first post) to add "[SOLVED]" to the title line then the thread may help others with the same problem.
As you noted, searching the Forum is not easy and this fix is there but deep in a multi-page thread so a one-page [SOLVED] thread is always a useful addition (e.g. for me and my senior moments/minutes/hours/days/daze).
David S.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
Jump to: