Music2go-Artful

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
O.F.I.N.S.I.S.

#81 Post by O.F.I.N.S.I.S. »

If we who use linux take an 'us vs them' attitude
I did not ask because of such attitude. Just asked out of curiosity, as I think all that Windows software might work much better when using Windows. I just don't get it why anyone wants to run music software in an "Emulator" within another OS.

I still have Windows XP and using it from time to time because there's some synths that aren't available for Linux. Within the last year I created lots of .sf2 files from samples recorded off these synths to have these sounds available in Linux.

By insinuate that attitude to me you just did not answer to my first question: How will you use Wine for 32bit Studio2Go in a 64bit Puppy? I was asking for Puppy Linux not Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint whatever...

So, how do you do this, since I couldn't even get the 64bit wine from l0wt3ch to work in BionicPup64. Tried this to make some testings to run a great graphics program I was used to in Windows (a PortableApp).
Our Future Is Not Set In Stone
[url]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyfyaxCNMduwyXlQFRQKhhQ[/url]
[url]https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367[/url]
[b]My own build of Bionic64[/b]

ciento

#82 Post by ciento »

w_ine
i_s
n_ot
e_mulator

Wine is a minimal api to enable windows software to find what it needs
to present a gui, and run it's code. And it does that quite well.

From a wineHQ wiki:

"6.5.3 How do I create a 32 bit wineprefix on a 64 bit system?

At present there are some significant bugs that prevent many 32 bit applications from working in a 64 bit wineprefix.
To work around this, you can create a new 32 bit wineprefix using the WINEARCH environment variable. In a terminal, type:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=path_to_wineprefix winecfg

(use the actual path to the wineprefix) Do not use an existing directory for the new wineprefix: Wine must create it.

Once a 32 bit wineprefix is created, you no longer have to specify WINEARCH in the command line to use it,
as the architecture of an existing wineprefix cannot be changed.
Note that if the wineprefix is not the default (~/.wine, you do have to specify the WINEPREFIX variable
when installing anything (including winetricks) to it:

WINEPREFIX=path_to_wineprefix wine start /unix path_to_installer"

------------------------------------------
If that fails in some puppy linux, it is a puppy issue,
and it would be nice for it to be remedied.
Cheers

Smithy

#83 Post by Smithy »

There's a 32 bit compatibility sfs for bionic64, but it seems broken.

I have had too many problems with 64 bit, no validated CSM compatibility.
Touching ntfs partitions, bootsector alteration bcd, grldr, bootmgr, corrupting legacy bios after a few hard drive accesses.
Retaining hard drive access flags on folders even after cold, hard reset, even in supposed pfix=ram mode.
I think it must be in the sfs, init, vmlinuz or zdrv because I removed EFI folder, boot.catalogue, chain.c32, efi.img, vesamenu.c32 , refind_linux.conf, splash.png etc).

That's okay for a frugal or full hard drive install, but what if you want to try it out first as a live pure ram.
And if you want to try out an old Slackware, Vivid, Lucid or 431, whatever. I switch to UEFI and it says NO.

The OpenGL or Mesa, video framerate in wine is just as good as windows and linux from tests, I have found, so it blends well.
I think they are telling porkies with 5, saying that Mono and Gecko now install in usr/share/wine to make updating easier. It still goes into the prefix system/system32 folder. Not a problem though.

ciento

#84 Post by ciento »

I installed the wine 4.1 pet in Bionic64, ran the winecfg,
replaced the reg files with those of a wine 5.10 setup
from Ubuntu Studio, ran LinVst on a bunch of free and commercial plugins,
and had pretty good results. Native Instruments Reaktor,
Raum, and Phasis all worked, as did Dexed and Seaweed Audio's
Fathom modular synth, which has a free mono version, and a CM magazine version.

I also tried the 32bit compatibility sfs, but it did not work,
as far as I can tell. Your 64 bit efforts remind how much takes place
to get a linux system in working order. The AVLinux dev has had
a tough row to hoe with the whole uefi boot saga, so you've
got company in frustration.
Cheers
Attachments
Bionic-Reaktor-Monark.jpg
(129.23 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Bionic-PhasisRaum.jpg
(161.17 KiB) Downloaded 20 times