Ideal ratio between size of pupsave and size of RAM?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
hamoudoudou

" Ideal ratio between size of pupsave and Size of RAM"

#31 Post by hamoudoudou »

I agree with you Musher0. But to run with pendrive unplugged (or DVD removed) clarify things about How Puppy Linux is different from huge and slow Linux, because not loosing time and speed with hardisk or external supports.
"The Puppy Linux Trade mark is to be fast because it runs full in RAM.
"Puppy Linux is yet another Linux distribution. What's different here is that Puppy is extraordinarily small, yet quite full-featured. Puppy boots into a ramdisk and, unlike live CD distributions that have to keep pulling stuff off the CD, it loads into RAM. " Xenialpup 7.5, Distrowatch "

" Ideal ratio between size of pupsave and Size of RAM"
Pupsave is a container.. Should be size of what is contained of pupsave.
500MB pupsave as a barrel can be quite empty or full..
No answer to your question, i am searching as you. That is strange that last Xenialpup quick get very slow. I thought that kernels were the cause.. Perhaps they are, but perhaps not.
To answer the topic, you should analyze RAM with pupsave loaded.. Without pupsave is not really our target, is it ?

gyro

#32 Post by gyro »

The save mechanism used by multi-session DVD, pupmode=77, is peculiar to it, and very different from the way a frugal install, pupmode=12/13, does it.
It uses neither a savefile, nor a savefolder. But appends a new "folder" to the DVD on every shutdown, and copies it back into ram on boot.
It is the only pupmode that provides persistence, while running completely in ram.

gyro

musher0

#33 Post by musher0 »

gyro wrote:The save mechanism used by multi-session DVD, pupmode=77, is peculiar to it, and very different from the way a frugal install, pupmode=12/13, does it.
It uses neither a savefile, nor a savefolder. But appends a new "folder" to the DVD on every shutdown, and copies it back into ram on boot.
It is the only pupmode that provides persistence, while running completely in ram.

gyro
Hi gyro.

You are right, but I guess that this is one for PuppyLinux ... archeologists?

Who uses Puppy from a CD or DVD nowadays?!

TWYL.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

gyro

#34 Post by gyro »

musher0 wrote:Who uses Puppy from a CD or DVD nowadays?!
I suspect that hamoudoudou does.
gyro

hamoudoudou

"But to run with pendrive unplugged"

#35 Post by hamoudoudou »

"But to run with pendrive unplugged" is same as DVD withdrawn.. I should add with hard drive removed.. Don't do it.
The fact that you can remove hardware used to load an OS and go on using it with all applications Loaded is something specific to Puppy Linux, an huge progress.. Then all depends of RAM available, what is Musher0 ask an anwer for. : Knowing you RAM as 512mB sized, How much can contain your pupsave ? Ratio is the right word..
It depends on what apps you will use, which browser, do you play games.. Do you only write scripts for training ?
Processors need more or less place in RAM (lot at starting)
RAM needed = Active RAM (activted, working) + X = 512MB
If X too big, part of x will be kicked out to swap if there is one, computer will freeze if no place to unload RAM.
In Opposite to our dear devs, Some os choose load the less at boot, and load later stuff (postpone)
As videos, no need to load the complete movie to begin to watch it, loading can continue while you watch.. Loading the OS should be similar.

as nowadays an human is still needed, ask him to install apps when he needs them, and remove them when job done. That is 'SFS load on the fly"