which Seamonkey rel. are you using with full satisfaction?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
norgo

#16 Post by norgo »

pupmaster72 wrote:im using slacko64bit puppy.
I guess slacko64 6.3.2 ???

Please use a more recent slacko version.
This one here is made by Sailor Enceladus and recommendable.

It's basing on Slackware 14.2
The latest SM version is install able via PPM

davids45

Extract the .tar file

#17 Post by davids45 »

G'day pupmaster72,

I don't run 64-bit Pups often but I've run Seamonkey since its Netscape days. And I only update when I find a problem with new software or am feeling reckless.

I've run 2.46 for at least a year now on all my Pups, with no problems and haven't been feeling very reckless nor in the wise words of 'Yes Minister', 'courageous'.

Anyway......
I have downloaded the new seamonkey v2.49 and it is sitting in my downloads folder.i have removed v2.46.

1.where is the downloaded seamonkey tar.2z to be extracted to...?
how do i proceed to update seamonkey from here.?
Try:
1. Extract the tar.bz with Puppy (click on the .tar.bz file?)
2. A new directory should be generated in the directory where the tar.bz file is.
3. Open this new directory and see how the files are organised
4. If there are several sub-directories such as /opt or /usr, then just copy each set of files in each directory to the same directory or subdirectory in Puppy. Be careful not to over-write and existing files which would be for other existing applications. Go to 6.
5. If you've just a list of files in the extacted directory with no subdirectories, then this package you've downloaded requires 'compilation' or similar 'magic' to create a user-friendly installation package. Delete it all and look for a recent .pet or .sfs in a 64-bit Puppy repository. End of message.
6. Look in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin for a file 'seamonkey' and click this - it should start 'Seamonkey'.
7. If you did not delete your old Seamonkey profile (in /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/ ), the newer Seamonkey should find and use this.

Did you check out in your old Seamonkey, Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Software installation (screenshot)? There is an option (radio button) to do Seamonkey updates either manually or automatically. This may work if you still have 2.46?

As others have said, I just update over an old Seamonkey with a new .pet or .sfs rather than trust the 'generic' updater - but it may work nonetheless.

Good luck with it, whichever you try.

David S.
Attachments
EditPreferencesAdvanced.png
(61.09 KiB) Downloaded 180 times