jwm panel clock as MENU and showdesktop

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
rufwoof

jwm panel clock as MENU and showdesktop

#1 Post by rufwoof »

Edit your jwmrc configuration to have a tray definition of ....

Code: Select all

<Tray autohide="top" insert="right" valign="top" halign="center" height="96">
  <Spacer width="2"/>
  <Clock format=" %a %d %b">
    <Button mask="1">showdesktop</Button>
    <Button mask="23"></Button>
  </Clock>
  <TrayButton>root:1</TrayButton>
  <Spacer width="8"/>
  <Swallow name="xclock" width="84" height="84">
    xclock -padding 0 -fg "#FFA500" -bg "#333333" -bd "#000024" -hl "#00FFFF" -hd "#007DFD"
  </Swallow>
  <Spacer width="8"/>
  <Dock/>
  <Swallow name="xload" width="48" height="84">
    xload -nolabel -bg "#333333" -fg red -hl white
  </Swallow>
  <TaskList maxwidth="64"/>
</Tray>
and it will show at the top centre, autohide and where the date when left mouse clicked will show/hide the desktop and middle or left mouse click of the date shows the main menu

I've also set it up so that the left screen edge panel as seen in the screenshot is a rox panel, so you can middle mouse drag icons around (rearrange panel icons) and those icons can include being APPDIR's dropped onto the panel so when files are dragged to one of those panel icons it invokes the associated ROX APPDIR script etc.

I've also changed my rox-filer toolbar icons in a similar manner to this post

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 829#327829

I'm using multiple pinboards and some of those icons switch to a different pinboard i.e. one for office, another for computing, another for investing ...etc. where each pinboard has different links (files) and icons. With multiple pinboards you can have one dedicated to bookmarks to web pages, so instead of having to rely upon browser bookmarks you can mouse to the top/centre of screen to pop up the jwm taskbar, click the date to reveal the desktop and then pick off a web link (bookmark) from the desktop icons (whatever web links you opt to include on that rox pinboard).
Attachments
s.png
(242.71 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
s2.png
(126.29 KiB) Downloaded 202 times

ally

#2 Post by ally »

nice!

:)

rufwoof

#3 Post by rufwoof »

Thanks ally.

On my OpenBSD 6.3 desktop setup version of jwm/rox I'm now down to a lean base OpenBSD + just 4 programs (pkg_add firefox-esr jwm rox gnumeric (pkg_add is similar to apt-get)). I've converted the others to rox APP-DIR's (osmo, leafpad, mtpaint, mpv, curl ... etc.). Nice bit of extra security as they're all read only and owned and run by user. pkg_info -m shows 7 programs installed, but one is the package manager control package and the other two are auto installed firmware. Taken hardly any time to APP-DIR programs helped by the highly productive/natural work flow that jwm/rox provides. Really snappy/quick also.
Attachments
smart2.png
(168.85 KiB) Downloaded 180 times

MochiMoppel

#4 Post by MochiMoppel »

Button tags within the Clock tag require at least JWM 2.3.